Just bought Dell 2407! Details Inside!

Max Cannon

n00b
Hi I just bought a 2407 and its an A02. I must say that after using it for a few hours i am very dissapointed with it and was wondering if any 2407 owners can help. My first complaint is that the colors seem "washed out". My second complaint is that when i hooked it up using component for xbox360 it looked horrible and barely playable at 1080i. I have heard that its better to use vga cable for xbox360 on this monitor but was wondering if anyone here had the same experience. The 2407 replaced a 19" BenQ T903 which destroyed it as far as picture quality even though the spec say otherwise. I tried all the adjustments I could make on the 2407 but it really looks horrible. Im not a pro that does test after test but I let my eyes do the judging. I know there must be something wrong and will probably post some pics later today or tomorrow if i cant resolve it tonight :(

Yes, if you're using this monitor for the 360 you absolutely MUST use VGA. It looks a hundred billion times better. It's pretty commonly accepted that the component input of the 2407 is garbage, I think. VGA, on the other hand, looks just fine.

As for the washed out colors, I can't say that I agree, but then again I haven't seen your previous monitor. The colors on my 2407 look very vibrant without being overly so(which annoys me even more than washed out colors). If you're truly not satisfied though, return it to dell and go with the BenQ 24 inch lcd monitor that will be released soon.

Others have had similarly bad picture quality using X360 over component. As for color, it looks fine on my 2407 but you might try turning up digital vibrance if you use an nVidia card.

If you calibrate to 6500K an 2.2 gamma on something like a colorvision spyder2 then the colors are very vibrant. Before calibration the colors looked awful.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I just hooked it up using VGA and its way better but i feel a little cheated cause the component worked fine in the 2405 but its unplayable in the 2407. I mean i wanted to use the component maybe setting up a standalone dvd player in the future or something like that but i cant use it now :(

SonComet, i tried your advice but colorvision spyder2 is $170 :(

I really wanted this monitor and bought all the accesorries for it like the sound bar, i just wished it would be fixed these problems. I mean im not a videophile and probably wouldnt notice all the small details an expert would when looking at a monitor but the picture on component is horrible and we paid for it so we should get something that works properly. :(

Max Cannon said:
I really wanted this monitor and bought all the accesorries for it like the sound bar, i just wished it would be fixed these problems. I mean im not a videophile and probably wouldnt notice all the small details an expert would when looking at a monitor but the picture on component is horrible and we paid for it so we should get something that works properly. :(

i know exactly how you feel. i'm on the fence with my 2407; keep it and try to ignore its shortcomings (and hope that dell fixes future releases and replaces my monitor) or get another brand entirely.

when you spend hundreds on a product you expect the damn thing to work properly.

Sell and get dual 20 inchers... what i would do :p :p

But yea.. really when you spend that much you expect stuff to be" complete and working"

Back