Just bought Counter-Strike... I need help!!!

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got the HalfLife Platinum Edition. I'm trying to play Counter-Strike and it says that it needs to update it. So, I click on the the update tool within the game and a box appears telling me that it is veryfying my internet connection. After about 10 secs., another box appears and says, "Your Internet connection is invalid, please check your settings and try again" (I am connected to the internet :))

I have a 56k dial-up connection.

Is there any other way that I can update Counter-Strike?

thank you

well....if you want the most current you need to download steam at steampowered.com and then get 1.6 after you install steam....

you just now got counter strike? that probably explains why you have a 56k connection... you will be upgrading that sucker soon, trust me :) www.steampowered.com download it

-warsaw

you are quite the psycic! I am getting cable in two months.

Why does just getting CS now mean that I have a 56k?

Originally posted by bobsaget
you are quite the psycic! I am getting cable in two months.

Why does just getting CS now mean that I have a 56k?

Because if you had cable you wouldnt have bought it, you would have just downloaded it.

I got ya. I'm new to the HalfLife stuff. I just never really got into it. Plus, I've only had a computer of my own for one year.

thanks for the steam info

I'll download it tonight (LOL) It will be ready tommarow when I get home from school. hehe :)/:(

well i wish you luck with it... i played cs for about 3-4 years and that is the main reason i got into computers and online gaming and got broadband and my own computer and the list goes on :)

-warsaw

Originally posted by bobsaget
I got ya. I'm new to the HalfLife stuff. I just never really got into it. Plus, I've only had a computer of my own for one year.

thanks for the steam info

I'll download it tonight (LOL) It will be ready tommarow when I get home from school. hehe :)/:(

good luck. With 56k it's gonna probably take more than a day.

Well, this file is only 116mb. I downloaded the Halo Demo (131mb) in one night (probably 10 hours).

56k+Steam=Noes

The steam updates are going to rape you.......just wait till you get broadband.

HOW DARE YOU RECOMEND STEAM TO PEOPLE!!!!!

steams is one of the worst things that ever happened to online gaming.

Originally posted by XxMe_LoCoxX
HOW DARE YOU RECOMEND STEAM TO PEOPLE!!!!!

steams is one of the worst things that ever happened to online gaming.

Steam is good now, except for once when I couldn't log on. If you wanna play cs then there isn't really a choice except to get steam. 1.5 servers still up?

Hmm... I agree with the topic

You DO need help if you bought CS... or even play it for that matter. I'm sure there's plenty of mental clinics in the area.

Originally posted by TheGamerZ
Hmm... I agree with the topic

You DO need help if you bought CS... or even play it for that matter. I'm sure there's plenty of mental clinics in the area.

:rolleyes: What ever... CS FANBOY FOR LIFE. All these other CT vs T type of games are just rip off of the greatest MOD< ever ;)

Edit :

Take it back and demand a refund ASAP. Play something better already.

Your next thread will be something like this " I keep getting kicked from servers in CS why?"

Could it be it is because you are on teh DIALUP?

and for the fanboy's

CS looks like granny ass. I can't stand games where one of the basic tenants of "being good" is to hop across the map like a horny rabbit. We all know that it can really happen in real combat. :rolleyes:

No thanks, I'll pass.

That "MOD" looked dated when it came out IMO.

And for the record.... it came out WHEN????? 1999?

FFS play something newer already.

:eek:

Who knows, maybe all of his friends play CS. He never asked for anyone's opinion of the game or Steam. Maybe he wants to play Half-Life and Opposing Forces too and that is why he bought the Platinum Pack. They are good games the first time through.

I would agree with a previous poster and wait until you get broadband. You will have the game and updates downloaded in no time.

Well I have some friends that have this game. We sometimes play it because it is one of the best games that you can 56k on. We play halo but, halo can bearly handle two 56k connections.

I probably will wait for my Cable connection in two months. By then, I will have a new video card and I will be playing Halo and UT2k4 over the internet.

thanks again for all of the help guys.

BTW, I didn't ask whether I should still play CS, I asked how do you get it upgraded.

Originally posted by 222 1/3 evil
Edit :

Take it back and demand a refund ASAP. Play something better already.

Your next thread will be something like this " I keep getting kicked from servers in CS why?"

Could it be it is because you are on teh DIALUP?

and for the fanboy's

CS looks like granny ass. I can't stand games where one of the basic tenants of "being good" is to hop across the map like a horny rabbit. We all know that it can really happen in real combat. :rolleyes:

No thanks, I'll pass.

That "MOD" looked dated when it came out IMO.

And for the record.... it came out WHEN????? 1999?

FFS play something newer already.

:eek:

Stop thread crapping. Over 500,000 people play it still.
To say how "granny ass" it looks just shows you how closed minded you are.
Yes it came out a long time ago, but it's constantly being updated.
You act like those that like CS only play CS. I've bought many other fps games (BF1942, ravenshield, unreal,etc) after CS and I still come back to it because it's simply fun.

Originally posted by S1N3R6Y
You act like those that like CS only play CS. I've bought many other fps games (BF1942, ravenshield, unreal,etc) after CS and I still come back to it because it's simply fun.

He prolly hates it because he prolly sucks at it. That guy probably doesn't know how to pulsate, and is one of those "nubs" that press forward and try to go full auto... doesn't work like that in CS...

A lot of people that don't like CS, don't like CS because of graphics, but more likely because they suck at playing it. I have a few friends that won't play against me, and won't play CS because of me. Everytime they come around a corner or try to hide behind a box, I'll be hitting them in the head. "Bink-Bink"

Originally posted by S1N3R6Y

Like I'm going to take advice from you?

let me see here....

/me checks post count of S1n
/me checks post count of me

/me checks reg date of S1n
/me checks reg date of me

Hmm, all signs point to me not listening to ANYTHING you say.

why?why?why?

#1 I've been gaming since the 286 days when wolf3d first came out.
#2 I know what games look like and how they should look, and let me tell you
CS TO ME LOOKS AWFUL.
#3 I'm not close minded just being realistic.
#4 I'm not trashing your views on the game, or your opinions of it. I am stating that I don't like and didn't when it FIRST came out.

Comapred to bf1942, UT (the orignial and all the others since then), Mohaa, COD and the list goes on, it looks like utter CRAP.

Contrary to what you said about those that play cs and only play CS, I never said that anywhere in my post. You are making assumptions.

Most of the people that I know that play CS stopped when it started getting over run with wall hackers, aim bot users and other exploits. Yes I know it has PB now, I still don't care and wouldn't play it.

To the original poster of the thread:
The Single player stuff in HL is great don't get me wrong, and well worth it. I'd wait and get the updates once you get cable.

Originally posted by Baker
:rolleyes: What ever... CS FANBOY FOR LIFE. All these other CT vs T type of games are just rip off of the greatest MOD< ever ;)

Yeah like Rainbow Six :rolleyes:

Well, if you look at my video card, It won't support much more than CS. I try to play the Halo demo, but 10FPS just isn't cutting it.

Originally posted by Horger
good luck. With 56k it's gonna probably take more than a day.

It took me roughly 4 to download the entire cache (about 720 megs) on my slow dialup. I'm never getting broadband :( .

I only play it because I get paid to play it.

Its his money. If he wants to buy CS he can. He will learn a valuable life lesson.

Originally posted by Sparky
Its his money. If he wants to buy CS he can. He will learn a valuable life lesson.

That life lesson is that you can't live life without owning a few people with the STMP. :D

Comapred to bf1942, UT (the orignial and all the others since then), Mohaa, COD and the list goes on, it looks like utter CRAP.

Who would of thought when ut was released in nov1999 it would look better then hl which was released oct 1998. Your comparison of graphics come from newer technology of course its not gonna look as good and sure many "newer" games look better than it but its the gameplay that matters thats why so many people still play it and love playing it. The only reason you probaly dont play it is because mostly everyone that plays it has been playing it long enough to have skill which you probaly dont so you play the newer games so you have newbies to take advantage of. You are an idiot go away.

Even after downloading Steam and getting it to work (Heh), the pings would be so high that you would be more frustrated than anything else.

By the time you purchase weapons, your team is gone and the enemy is likely on your ass.

i was going to say the same thing. what was it, like 40$?

if you want to play CS but with better graphics, try Urban Terror. Its a quake3 mod that used to take skill and used to be a good game (i played it religiously) until they came out with a patch that made it exactly like CS. Now i think its total carp... but i think CS is total crap so you might wanna give UrT a try. at least the Quake3 engine doesnt have steam, and doesn't have all the bugs associated with HL.

First of all, it was like 24 dollars and why the hell do you guys keep posting all of this shit? You all bought HalfLife a few years back... I'm just a few years late and I wanted to check it out.

I wish I could make this a dead thread

Like I'm going to take advice from you?

let me see here....

/me checks post count of S1n
/me checks post count of me

/me checks reg date of S1n
/me checks reg date of me

Oh no, don't bring post count up. I hate people that think that post count is everything, like it's something that's glorified. Come on, all it tells me is that you posted a bunch of crap on a forum. YOU ARE NOT YOUR POST COUNT!!! And for your information, I switched screen names.

You all bought HalfLife a few years back... I'm just a few years late and I wanted to check it out.

Heh, I feel ya buddy, just got Blue Shift and Opposing Force myself. Now if I can just get rid of this effing "Can't find gfx/palette.imp" error so I can actually play Opposing Force......

Don't listen to the naysayers. HL was a great game for its time and the fact that you're just now getting into it only means that you're copy will be all patched up and as stable as you could ever expect it to be. Blue Shift and Opposing Force are both great addons and will also add to the enjoyment. CS, while dated, is still one of the most popular multiplayer games, if not the most popular. Its up there for a reason. However, I'll echo what others have said about waiting for dialup. Yes its possible to play it, but HPB servers are getting fewer and fewer these days. Additionally, the Steam cache with CS is in teh neighborhood of 350MB+, which being on dialup is gonna take a while. If you wanted to you could update the whole enchilada at 700MB+, but on dialup that may not be feasible.

In closing, you made a good purchase. I think you'll like what you've got and I only hope that you don't let the 56K experience of HL/CS leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I once played CS on 56K. The only thing I saw was "GTFO, you nub." and then bannage. :D

Didn't pick it up again until I got cable, and now I love it. It's addictive as hell, though; only game I've ever pulled an all-nighter playing (7PM-9AM).

It's not fun to play with a slow connection, nor is it fun to play with someone who has a slow connection (slows everything down, it seems).

Back