Just bought ASUS Z8NA-D6 Dual LGA 1366, doesn't boot

Richneerd

Gawd
I need help from someone that is local. It could be older bios or something. Anyone in the San Jose/Santa Clara, CA area willing to help in person? Got a spare xeon1366 quad core cpu laying around for diagnostics? Any help will be appreciated, will buy Starbucks and lunch on me!

when I connect the power to the board it lights up, so I know there is power to the board.

I then connect the power button, but when I push the power button, nothing happens.

Tried everything, changed different ram sticks, tried 1 cpu, changed to a different power supply... :mad:

ASUS Z8NA-D6
2x L5639 1366
2x1GB ECC DDR3
850 watt PSU

Thanks!

Update

Alright progress, but still having problems.

THE PSU was bad, changed it and it powered on.

No post though.... no beeps....no display....

:(

Its a nice board, when I got my 1st one I purchased a cheap quad core to do the bios flash so that I could install hex cores. I managed to sell the cpu off quickly and lost very little money doing it.

Its a nice board, when I got my 1st one I purchased a cheap quad core to do the bios flash so that I could install hex cores. I managed to sell the cpu off quickly and lost very little money doing it.

Planning to do that in the future. :(

Did u manage to try a bios reset ?

Took out the battery and what not, switched the jumper, same results.

fwiw i had issues with shorts. make sure the board isn't touching bare metal in the case and is properly seated with offsets etc

fwiw i had issues with shorts. make sure the board isn't touching bare metal in the case and is properly seated with offsets etc

Yup, got it to power on now. No post though, might have to order a cheap quad and flash the bios.

:(

Ok the new board works, 12-cores (24 threads) freaking awesome, was dong x264 encodes, it's beating my 3930k by 15 minutes which is beasty.

Not bad for only $300 investments and using hand me down parts (ssd, ram, case, gpu). Will get back to folding too once I get a decent GPU for some League of Legends :).

I'm curious to hear about the specifics of your encodes. I have the same chips and an overclocked 3930k

Ok the new board works, 12-cores (24 threads) freaking awesome, was dong x264 encodes, it's beating my 3930k by 15 minutes which is beasty.

Not bad for only $300 investments and using hand me down parts (ssd, ram, case, gpu). Will get back to folding too once I get a decent GPU for some League of Legends :).

Folding on a pair of hex cores will net about 40k in PPD under windows, no need to wait for a gpu....

nice. What dual CPU super micro did you end up going with?

SUPERMICRO X8DAL-I-O ATX

I'm curious to hear about the specifics of your encodes. I have the same chips and an overclocked 3930k

x264 2x pass mt2s to avchd & mt2s to mkv 2x pass - hi-pass.

SSD to SSD.

Did many benchmarks, the dual hex's are winning all the time.

Time to sell the 3930k :).

Folding on a pair of hex cores will net about 40k in PPD under windows, no need to wait for a gpu....

Hmm... I see we have almost the same hardware, what if I fold under linux? will I be able to hit 100k?

Thanks

Hmm... I see we have almost the same hardware, what if I fold under linux? will I be able to hit 100k?

Thanks

Linux will give you about an extra 8k PPD, my L5640's top out at just over 50k on a really good unit

100k PPD is only doable with the -bigadv flag on 1366 hardware, unfortunately L56xx cpu's don't have enough clockspeed to complete in time, you need at least x5650's for that

Linux will give you about an extra 8k PPD, my L5640's top out at just over 50k on a really good unit

100k PPD is only doable with the -bigadv flag on 1366 hardware, unfortunately L56xx cpu's don't have enough clockspeed to complete in time, you need at least x5650's for that

Thanks for the info, at least it's better than nothing. :D

Will be selling my 3930k rig now.

Mine is still going strong after 3 years though you should really put a fan on the northbridge it runs hot as hell.
too bad I run e5520's on them upgrading was more expensive than getting a new platform with cheap ES procs.

I'm late to the party, but whenever I buy a used motherboard the first thing I do is replace the battery.

For fifty cents per CR2032 battery, buy a strip of them and toss them in a drawer and forget about them until you get a new board. I've resurrected many a non-booting board by swapping out the battery so many times it has become part of the process to swap batteries before I do anything else.

Back