Just bought asus-prime-x570-p

narsbars

2[H]4U
I just bought this board, https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x570-p/p/N82E16813119199?Item=N82E16813119199. I am looking for comments on memory type and any surprises in general I might find. I can read the QVL but respect the input I get here more. Also purchased the Square Trade 3yr warranty.

I am working on a very limited budget, I will not be OCing or having anything except a current SSD, current 1070, a future NVME, 2 slots of 8 or 16 gig ram depending on what I hear here, and a used 1080TI if I can find one for a good price.
The plan is to put in a current 3800xt gen CPU I am buying and waiting for CPU price drops when the next gen comes out, maybe moving up to 1 3900x or XTin a year or so. I doubt the 3950 current or XT will be in my range even a year from now.
I have a generic 1K power supply about 4 years old. Don't know if I will be able to use it or I need a special 8+4 connector for the MB.
Any tips that don't say "You should buy a $1700.00 MB, add 256 gig ram, and wait for SLI 3080TI" will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Since you already shop Newegg, they have a kit of GeIL 16GB DDR4 3200 CAS 16 as a special today, and the memory is on the master AMD approved list for Ryzen found at https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory

I'm using one of the OLOy 32GB kits not even on my Taichi QVL and it works great. Zen 2 is less picky about memory than old Ryzen and I hope Zen 3 is even more broad with compatibility.

Since you already shop Newegg, they have a kit of GeIL 16GB DDR4 3200 CAS 16 as a special today, and the memory is on the master AMD approved list for Ryzen found at https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory

I'm using one of the OLOy 32GB kits not even on my Taichi QVL and it works great. Zen 2 is less picky about memory than old Ryzen and I hope Zen 3 is even more broad with compatibility.
Great list. Thanks

I promised to report back . A little chipset noise on boot and never hear from it after that. Two weeks ownership using for browsing and gaming.

I just bought this board, https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x570-p/p/N82E16813119199?Item=N82E16813119199. I am looking for comments on memory type and any surprises in general I might find. I can read the QVL but respect the input I get here more. Also purchased the Square Trade 3yr warranty.

I am working on a very limited budget, I will not be OCing or having anything except a current SSD, current 1070, a future NVME, 2 slots of 8 or 16 gig ram depending on what I hear here, and a used 1080TI if I can find one for a good price.
The plan is to put in a current 3800xt gen CPU I am buying and waiting for CPU price drops when the next gen comes out, maybe moving up to 1 3900x or XTin a year or so.
Although it still needs some tweaking to get higher-performance RAM working properly, it's one of the very few cheap-but-relatively-cheerful motherboards that you can buy for any modern CPU platform these days. Good choice if you don't plan on performing any significant amount of overclocking of your CPU. And you will definitely need to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooler for your planned 3800XT since the 3800XT, unlike the 3800X (which comes with the Wraith Prism cooler), do not include a stock CPU cooler at all.

This is the motherboard powering my test bench, and I'm using some cheap 2x16GB OLOy DDR4-3200 memory and it's been 100% rock solid. I've run both R5 3600 and R9 3950X CPUs on it.

This is the motherboard powering my test bench, and I'm using some cheap 2x16GB OLOy DDR4-3200 memory and it's been 100% rock solid. I've run both R5 3600 and R9 3950X CPUs on it.

I generally recommend sticking with gskill, however the oloy's work pretty well for a cheap alternative. Oloy's docp just works something Corsair can't seem to figure out lol.

I generally recommend sticking with gskill, however the oloy's work pretty well for a cheap alternative. Oloy's docp just works something Corsair can't seem to figure out lol.
I didn't buy it lol. When I started doing reviews for STH they sent over some gear to assemble a test bench and that's what came :) It has all worked well though, so I can't exactly complain.

I didn't buy it lol. When I started doing reviews for STH they sent over some gear to assemble a test bench and that's what came :) It has all worked well though, so I can't exactly complain.
I grabbed 2x8 Corsair 3200 cheapie and just let the board use xmp. Came up perfectly.

Have you not at least googled the issues with Corsair ram? Why are ppl still buying Corsair ram??
It was all price. I needed a place to start, read a number of good reviews on the H (as long as you are not OCing the ram) and have had no issues. Ran bench marks, no issues, ran stress tests no issues. But I bet if I tried to tighten it up I would find ALL of those issues.

Er, I gather he bought the Corsair because it was inexpensive, and apparently it worked just fine. Maybe it's just the inability to read tone into a forum post, but you 'sound' almost offended.

More exasperated, incredulous, lol? Everyday on forums someone's Corsair is causing issues like clock work.

OK. The post just read funny to me I guess.

I would still happily buy Corsair for 'general purpose memory', and consider them a healthy step above no-name brands. Their tech support speaks English and has phone numbers they actually answer, and their RMA process is relatively painless. for me this ranks them above a great number of other memory vendors.

And let's face it; they don't actually *make* RAM, they just assemble and decorate it, same as almost every other vendor. The memory you buy is mostly the chips onboard, rather than the package they are assembled into. And they still sell *lots* of RAM (Newegg's second most popular source of DDR4 3200 and 3600, and over 32k ratings on some of their memory on Amazon) without 'general' outcry, so I think they're probably OK.

Now if I was going to push my memory to the [H] extreme, I'd probably be more picky. But that wouldn't be about brand but would instead be about specific modules.

Back