Just bought an original Wii!

biggles

2[H]4U
Reason I got it is that my new TV has no s-video input, don't have component cable for Gamecube, so got Wii to play old Gamecube games with component cable and backward compatibility. As we all know component cables are outrageously expensive for Gamecube but cheap for Wii.

Couple questions. Should I connect it to the internet? I assume Nintendo has some type of online store like Xbox Live. But since the Wii has no hard drive, I assume it is just old school games (SNES, etc). Also, I am not even sure Nintendo maintains their online store for Wii since they have moved onto Wii U.

Also, what is the best place to find cheap Wii games?

Besides the Mario, Zelda, Metroid first party stuff, is there anything out there for Wii that falls in the "must have" category?

The Wii bundle includes New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy. I plan to pickup Metroid Prime 3 soon. So I am pretty excited about those games.

Pretty sure the eshop is closed down for Wii. You can still do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and a bit more.

Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, Yard sales, just kind of have to shop around for cheap games. Nintendo games, especially games like Mario Kart, don't drop down in price much.

Games to look into...

Xenoblade Chronicles - if you like JRPGs this is one of the best to come out last gen.

The Last Story - Controls aren't perfect (recommend gamepad) but a fun action RPG none the less

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Has Prime 1 - 3 with updated wii-mote controls.

Okami - I enjoyed this a bit more on PS2 but well worth playing if you like Zelda like games. Warning it has a bit of a slow start but once it gets going it's great.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Great adventure like game if you enjoy the point & click kind of gameplay.

Kirby’s Epic Yarn - I recommend playing with your kids or girl. Cute and very easy platformer.

Muramasa The Demon Blade - A great Metroid-vania hack'n'slash kind of game. Recommend for Vita if you happen to have it but Wii version is just as great as well.

No More Heroes 1&2 - Over-the-top silly action. Not for everyone but I enjoyed them and offer unique experiences.

Punch Out is the best...!!! Very awesome follow up to the Original
Soda Popinski is awesome

Nights
Okami
Cursed Moutain
Deadly Creatures my uncle's studio (former Rainbow Studios) made this game
Zelda twilight princess game is pretty long..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgo_hS6uQA

Last edited:
I got a Wii last year thinking it would be fun to play one finally.

I tried to like it I really did. But the controllers are a nightmare.

Still not feeling the love. Maybe get a GC controller and a couple good exclusives and I might like it better.

Holy crap, I didn't realize how precious these component cables were. I have like 3 of them sitting in a closet that I'll probably never use again. I guess I'm going to have to dig them out and test them!

Well, the issue with GameCube is that many of the consoles themselves didn't have the component port in the first place, so you not only had to find the cable, but also own a GameCube that could even use it.

I got a Wii last year thinking it would be fun to play one finally.

I tried to like it I really did. But the controllers are a nightmare.

Still not feeling the love. Maybe get a GC controller and a couple good exclusives and I might like it better.

Most of the Nintendo exclusives fair much better than 3rd party developers, like Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Skyward Sword or Metroid Prime 3 work great for the most part.

Some games like Zelda: Twilight Princess they clearly tacked on the motion controls (delaying the Gamecube release to do so even). It’s so bad I highly recommend the GC version over the Wii version.

And some games are just better with a controller, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade and Last Story are good examples there.

Most of the Nintendo exclusives fair much better than 3rd party developers, like Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Skyward Sword or Metroid Prime 3 work great for the most part.

Some games like Zelda: Twilight Princess they clearly tacked on the motion controls (delaying the Gamecube release to do so even). It’s so bad I highly recommend the GC version over the Wii version.

And some games are just better with a controller, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade and Last Story are good examples there.
On Twilight Princess, they also mirrored the game to make Link right-handed instead of just updating the model and assets for his character. It's a really odd decision IMO.

Soul Caliber 2 is a fun one on the GC

Kinsaras said Xenoblade and Last Story, theres a third game in this set which is Pandora's Tower, also highly recommend.

Holy crap, I didn't realize how precious these component cables were. I have like 3 of them sitting in a closet that I'll probably never use again. I guess I'm going to have to dig them out and test them!

At $200 a pop (or more) they are definitely priced way beyond what they are worth. Sell all three at rediculous fleaBay prices and get you an i7 and a GTX 970/R9 290X for that much!

Where is the best place to buy a wiimote, and what would be a good price? Do I need to buy official Nintendo wiimotes or are cheap 3rd party wiimotes okay? Do you need to buy the wrist strap separately? I don't plan to have kids playing the Wii unless they are guests. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is pretty easy to throw the wiimotes across the room without a wrist strap. Especially when kids are holding the wiimote.

Do I need to buy official Nintendo wiimotes or are cheap 3rd party wiimotes okay?

Unless it says HORI on it(Not likely unless you live in Japan), do not buy 3rd party wiimotes. They all come with the strap from what I've seen.

Where is the best place to buy a wiimote, and what would be a good price? Do I need to buy official Nintendo wiimotes or are cheap 3rd party wiimotes okay? Do you need to buy the wrist strap separately? I don't plan to have kids playing the Wii unless they are guests. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is pretty easy to throw the wiimotes across the room without a wrist strap. Especially when kids are holding the wiimote.

Buy an official Wiimote. The cheap third party ones are just that.. Wrist straps come with them always.

Nintendo is one of the brands I ALWAYS buy the official accessories for as Nintendo products have a history of reliability and durability.

I suggest that you check out Silent Hill - Shattered Memories. By many regarded to be the best game in the whole series.. although, I think that it is kind of hard to get a hold of nowadays?

Games to look into...

Xenoblade Chronicles - if you like JRPGs this is one of the best to come out last gen.

The Last Story - Controls aren't perfect (recommend gamepad) but a fun action RPG none the less

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Has Prime 1 - 3 with updated wii-mote controls.

Okami - I enjoyed this a bit more on PS2 but well worth playing if you like Zelda like games. Warning it has a bit of a slow start but once it gets going it's great.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Great adventure like game if you enjoy the point & click kind of gameplay.

Kirby’s Epic Yarn - I recommend playing with your kids or girl. Cute and very easy platformer.

Muramasa The Demon Blade - A great Metroid-vania hack'n'slash kind of game. Recommend for Vita if you happen to have it but Wii version is just as great as well.

No More Heroes 1&2 - Over-the-top silly action. Not for everyone but I enjoyed them and offer unique experiences.

The price to acquire these games at this point is unreal... :eek:

$90 for Wii games? wtf...

The first 3 games on that list had very limited production runs, accounting for their current high resale value. I remember picking up Xenoblade at release for $50, and then selling it on Ebay for over $100 a few months later after I finished it.

At $200 a pop (or more) they are definitely priced way beyond what they are worth. Sell all three at rediculous fleaBay prices and get you an i7 and a GTX 970/R9 290X for that much!

What do you mean 200 dollars? For the wii component cables? You can get component cables for the original wii dirt cheap in ebay, am I off the point here?

I guess I missed something.

EDIT: NVM It was about the GC ones, got it now.

Last edited:
Just fired up my Wii to see if it works with Punch Out looks great on bigger screen I never tried the HDMI adapter before on my 27" IPS.

Make sure you install the Homebrew Channel. It's the only way to get access to some apps now that Nintendo has gimped the online experience for the console.

Make sure you install the Homebrew Channel. It's the only way to get access to some apps now that Nintendo has gimped the online experience for the console.

Which apps do you recommend from the Homebrew Channel? I haven't connected the Wii to the internet yet. The consensus opinion seems to be that there is not much reason to go online with the Wii.

I have a connection question. I bought a third party component cable from amazon. Now I have noticed when I set the Wii to 480p the screen blinks when the Wii is first turned on. The blinking happens once about every 5 to 30 seconds and stops after the Wii has been running for around 5 minutes. Also, the blinking doesn't happen when the Wii is set to 480i. Do you think this is a mechanical problem with the component cable, the Wii, or the TV?

The blinking screen is a known issue.

Unfortunately there are a number of possible causes

Some TVs can't handle the 480p from the Wii correctly
Faulty GPU on the Wii. Nintendo used to replace these
Bad 3rd party cables
Cables not plugged in correctly
Some cables have a switch for HD and you forgot to set it

Which apps do you recommend from the Homebrew Channel? I haven't connected the Wii to the internet yet. The consensus opinion seems to be that there is not much reason to go online with the Wii.

WiiBrew is a great place to find out about homebrew apps. I have a bunch of emulators installed on mine. I like Gamecube controllers for playing classic games (it has a great d-pad) so the Wii is my preferred platform for emulating games and playing them on my TV.

The blinking screen is a known issue.

Unfortunately there are a number of possible causes

Some TVs can't handle the 480p from the Wii correctly
Faulty GPU on the Wii. Nintendo used to replace these
Bad 3rd party cables
Cables not plugged in correctly
Some cables have a switch for HD and you forgot to set it

Okay I tested the Wii on an older model Westinghouse LCD tv and it worked perfectly fine with component and 480p. The screen blink happens on the living room TV, a Samsung Plasma model PN518500. Again, it goes away after about 5 minutes and the screen blink doesn't happen when set to 480i.

Here is the component cable I am using, it doesn't have any switches on it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFSBL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think that this hdmi converter would solve the problem?
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Output-Supports-Wii-Display-Nintendo/dp/B005EK3OF4

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay I tested the Wii on an older model Westinghouse LCD tv and it worked perfectly fine with component and 480p. The screen blink happens on the living room TV, a Samsung Plasma model PN518500. Again, it goes away after about 5 minutes and the screen blink doesn't happen when set to 480i.

Here is the component cable I am using, it doesn't have any switches on it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFSBL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think that this hdmi converter would solve the problem?
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Output-Supports-Wii-Display-Nintendo/dp/B005EK3OF4

If you're going to buy an HDMI converter (aka Wii2HDMI) make sure you buy a genuine NeoYa branded one.

http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

Many of the cheaper clones have issues to varying degrees... from blown out and distorted audio to weird video problems.

Also please do realize that the Wii2HDMI isn't going to magically make your Wii high definition. All it does is convert the Wii's analog video and audio output into a clean digital signal to be passed on to your TV or AVR via an HDMI cable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, the purpose of getting a wii2hdmi device is to fix the flickering. Not worried about upscaling nonsense. Think this would fix the flickering?

Also, I noticed if the Wii power is left on and the TV is turned off for a while, when I turn the TV back on, the flickering comes back. But after a few minutes, the flickering goes away.

Congratulation! Love playing old video games that I used to enjoy when I was young!

Back