Just bought an iPhone 3G, do i need a case?

playrh8r

Gawd
I just picked up an 8gb iPhone. So far I am loving it. I plan to carry the phone in my front pocket, and keep that pocket free of keys or change, and keeping the glass screen facing towards my leg.

Do i need a case of any kind to protect this thing? I like the way it looks now.

Jeff

Same thing here, I just bought it a couple of days ago. Right now I'm using some cheap ass display protector and some case from griffin, while waiting for my invisible shield in my mailbox. As for the case, definitely, I'm planning to get the Vaja case. Even though it's kinda expensive, but it's all worth it.

If you don't want scratches, get a case. I personally have one small nick in the back that's barely visible, and I've been using it naked since July 15th.

There have been some reports of cracking, even with users who have cases, but even if you experience that problem, Apple is honoring it and will provide a replacement.

Get a silicon case for grip, or a hard case for protection.

So am I right in assuming its better for the phone screen to be facing my leg when it is in my pocket? My old verizon phone cracked the lcd just by hitting it on the side of a table when it was in my pocket with the lcd facing out.

Jeff

So am I right in assuming its better for the phone screen to be facing my leg when it is in my pocket? My old verizon phone cracked the lcd just by hitting it on the side of a table when it was in my pocket with the lcd facing out.

Jeff

fyi, the iphone screen is glass. hard to scratch, but not impossible. sand grains inyour pocket will do the job (as my how I know :( )

get a full body skin from that site and you will never have to worry about scratches.

you will crack the glass before the LCD in this case, so I would face it towards your leg either way.

I hate cases and screen protectors for phones
they look like crap and make your phone bulkier
here's what I do - put your phone in a pocket by itself, don't do anything retarded with it
I've owned lots of high end phones and never broken or damaged any of them
but I don't use my phone as a hammer like some people (judging by the condition of their phone after 6 months)

Pet Peeve: when people put their phone on the table when eating, like it's a fucking utensil or something. You're just asking for something to be spilled on it.

I recently purchased a silicone cover that came with a plastic display cover (which allowed touch through the plastic cover) for about ~$20 + shipping. The main issue I had with it was
  1. It added just enough bulk in my pocket... nothing huge, but kinda noticable
  2. More importantly, the silicone had enough grip that it did want to hold onto my front pocket... making it a bit of a pain to get out (it also shares my pocket with my wallet)
  3. The silicone wasn't *quite* grippy enough for my hand... of course, any more grip and it would've been a problem with #2 above.

As it is now, I'm just going without a case / cover.

i would recommend a screen + case protector like invisible shield (which i'm currently using, back piece was a pain to put on) or best skins ever (back piece seems simpler to install but has more visible gaps) because of the nature of the iphone, u will get a lot of finger prints on it.. and it's much easier to clean off a protector than the glass/plastic casing

I use mine naked and keep it in a pocket by itself... I'm not completely anal about dumb shit like some people though :)

I always keep my iphone in a fitted holster that clips to my pants/belt. Paired with a screen protector my iphone looks like it did the day i bought it last year except for the one scratch from the time I dropped it. I was always worried that putting it directly in my pocket would somehow crack the display cover. The case I have is from Belkin. Best $30 I ever spent.

You don't need one for the screen since it is glass (that is unless you're carrying diamonds in your pocket. As for the rest of the case, that's up to you. I kept the old metal iPhone in a case, but scuffed plastic hasn't ever bothered me with my other cell phones so I don't bother with the new one.

I only picked up a silicon case for grip because I don't like how my 3G is a little slick. It adds a little bulk but to me that's minor.

-V

www.vajacases.com

Best thing ever

Expensive, but so worth it. I have one on most of my portable devices including my touch and they fit like no other case.

I only have a anti-glare screen film on my 3G. The rest is fine, and the only scratches it has it on the apple logo on the back.

I am usually nit-picky about appearance too as my first iPhone has a BSE on the front and back. However, this phone is holding up well.

I have a casemate leather case thingy on my iphone 3g now.
It's nice but it adds too much bulk and puts a lip on the screen (try moving apps to different pages... it's a pain)

I might just get the BSE though, since I want a case with a belt clip. I feel naked without my phone on my belt.

I might have to pick one of those up. How exactly do you put it on and is it noticeable? also what is it made out of.

you dip the skin in a solution of water and a drop of dish soap (jsut a 1/8" or so of water will do. let the excess water drip off, put it on and slide it around into place. wrap the corners around asap (it will be hard to do when it is still wet and the adhesive isn't holding, once it starts to dry it gets easier.) squeegee out any bubbles with your fingers or a credit card. make sure to keep the skin in the right place. it really is a PITA, and you have to babysit it until it is dry, but it is soooo worth it. the screen skin is easy, since it is just a flat surface, the back is the hard part.

no clue what they are made out of. something a little more rubbery and scratch resistant than vinyl.
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-template/faq/Page

BSE is the same material used in invisible shield. IS costs much more and their shipping is crap. I've installed numerious IS shields on old ipods and I've got to say the 3g skin is the most ludicrous thing ever. Took me over an hour to install it and and it's just poorly designed.

I ordered the BSE at only 7 dollars. The pictures show that it's cut in a way that should make installation more manageable. IS sheild is overpriced POS.

Also be on the lookout for this http://www.pawasapo.co.jp/products/iphone/ppk71.php
It was just added to the Japanese apple store and costs around 22 dollars and includes both the crystal and anti glare shield along with the back cover. An amazing deal.

I'm currently using the contour flick case to hold me over but as soon as that gets added to the apple store I'm buying one on next day air :)

Also one thing you have to remember about skins is, if you put it in your pockets a lot then it WILL get dirty and NASTY. The sides will collect lint and will start to turn brown.

I have a IS shield on my 2 year old ipod and I'll take a picture to show you what it looks like later.

That's one of the reasons why I don't like to go the skins route, is because I stick it in my pocket 90% of the time.

What's with Vaja and thinking they can charge $80 for a phone case? Ridiculous. I could buy a whole cow and skin it myself for that.

I didn't like the bulkiness of the cases, so I just use one of those iPod socks and put it in there. Works fine for me.

What's with Vaja and thinking they can charge $80 for a phone case? Ridiculous. I could buy a whole cow and skin it myself for that.

I know what you mean. And if you get a custom one, it can take up to 45 days to "make" it. They are pretty nice though. If they were closer to $40, I would probably grab one.

Use one, then you will understand.

Seriously, I think they are expensive too, but compared to anything else out there, they are just awesome.

i have a IS shield and it collected TONS of lint, it looked NASTY.

so i took mini scisors and cut off the flappy pieces with the lint, i dont think these vinyl cases are great anymore..... but it still protects my phone!

thinking about a contour case....

Back