Just bought a Xbox One X, have a couple questions???

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought a Xbox One X and I have a couple questions.

1. I would like to get a keyboard that attaches to the controller but I am unsure of which one to get. None of the ones I looked at have outstanding reviews (4 1/2 stars or better). I would like a white one if possible as my controller is white (NBA 2K20 special edition).
2. I was looking the other day on Youtube and one of the reviewers had an app that showcased 4k and HDR, you could toggle between 1080p and 4k and toggle HDR on and off. What's the name of that app? I can't find the video I seen it in.
3. Is there any thermal problems from standing up the Xbox, I have ordered a vertical stand but I am unsure of if I am going to use it or not?

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by but this is it for now.

[Edit]
4. What's a good pair of cheap headphones that will work with the Xbone? I am considering the Turtle Beach Battle Buds.

Last edited:
Not a clue on Questions 1 or 2 but my One X is always verticals with no stand and I have not had any issues with thermals.

There are guides you can use to run a 1tb or 2tb ssd in the X. I did this since I was already opening the X to replace the dry thermal paste.

Its been a year since I did this even having the xbox standing upside down for nearly 6 months. I took it out from behind the TV, dusted it off and have had zero issues. Everything loads much faster since the xbox's OS is installed on an SSD and not a spinning drive.

I just bought a Xbox One X and I have a couple questions.

1. I would like to get a keyboard that attaches to the controller but I am unsure of which one to get. None of the ones I looked at have outstanding reviews (4 1/2 stars or better). I would like a white one if possible as my controller is white (NBA 2K20 special edition).
2. I was looking the other day on Youtube and one of the reviewers had an app that showcased 4k and HDR, you could toggle between 1080p and 4k and toggle HDR on and off. What's the name of that app? I can't find the video I seen it in.
3. Is there any thermal problems from standing up the Xbox, I have ordered a vertical stand but I am unsure of if I am going to use it or not?

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by but this is it for now.

[Edit]
4. What's a good pair of cheap headphones that will work with the Xbone? I am considering the Turtle Beach Battle Buds.
  1. Any standard USB keyboard works on the Xbox One. You don't need to get one of those mini keyboards that attaches to the controller.
  2. The official app that shows the difference between 1080p and 4K with or without HDR is called Insects.
  3. I remember reading somewhere that the thermal profile of the One X is optimized for horizontal orientation, but you shouldn't have an issue running it vertically so long as you give it room to breathe.
  4. Any standard headphones with a 3.5mm jack will work with the Xbox One. I use an old Astro A40 headset for gaming on both my PC and consoles, but I can also recommend the Betron DC950Hi earbuds. Cheap, durable, and sound great with music on the go. Comes with an inline volume adjustment so you don't have to go in and out of the dashboard to adjust game volume.
    https://www.amazon.com/Betron-Headphones-Earphones-Isolating-Microphone/dp/B00N771OEE

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Quickly finding out I need more storage space. Already down to less then 100gb. I was looking at external hard drives and found some of these External Hard Drives, Uiesy Slim Portable Hard Drive 1TB 2TB Compact Compatible with PC, Desktop, Laptop, Mac (2TB, Black) . There's several different brands available but they all have less then 20 reviews, all 5 stars. Are these legit and what is inside them? Would they be good for external storage on the Xbox One X?

Also I went ahead and bought a pair of Turtle Beach Battle Buds. I found the Insects App and even though I have a Vertical Stand it will remain laying flat for now. Not sure if I still want a keyboard or not, I don't see a big need for one. Thanks for all the great input.

Quickly finding out I need more storage space. Already down to less then 100gb. I was looking at external hard drives and found some of these External Hard Drives, Uiesy Slim Portable Hard Drive 1TB 2TB Compact Compatible with PC, Desktop, Laptop, Mac (2TB, Black) . There's several different brands available but they all have less then 20 reviews, all 5 stars. Are these legit and what is inside them? Would they be good for external storage on the Xbox One X?

Also I went ahead and bought a pair of Turtle Beach Battle Buds. I found the Insects App and even though I have a Vertical Stand it will remain laying flat for now. Not sure if I still want a keyboard or not, I don't see a big need for one. Thanks for all the great input.
I use one of these for both my Xbox One and PS4. The 12TB version is on sale for $200 USD right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD?th=1

That would make the price per GB about half of the slim drive you linked to ($0.017 per GB vs. $0.032 per GB), so it's better over the long run. Between the 1TB internal and 8TB external I currently have around 250 games installed with some empty space left on both drives for downloading updates.

I use one of these for both my Xbox One and PS4. The 12TB version is on sale for $200 USD right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD?th=1

That would make the price per GB about half of the slim drive you linked to ($0.017 per GB vs. $0.032 per GB), so it's better over the long run. Between the 1TB internal and 8TB external I currently have around 250 games installed with some empty space left on both drives for downloading updates.
The 3TB version is closer to my budget at only $80 which is a really good deal from what I have seen. Are these 7200rpm 3.5" drives? If so they should be faster then the smaller 2.5" 5400rpm drives which would be a plus as well. I got the room for the larger drive so that won't be a problem.

The 3TB version is closer to my budget at only $80 which is a really good deal from what I have seen. Are these 7200rpm 3.5" drives? If so they should be faster then the smaller 2.5" 5400rpm drives which would be a plus as well. I got the room for the larger drive so that won't be a problem.
It's a 5400 RPM drive. I don't notice any real difference in loading times between this and the internal drive. Some games seem to load a bit faster, but that is my subjective observation.

Back