Just bought a PSP 1.5 Good or Bad?

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
Just Purchased a like new Sony PSP 1.5 with 2GB memory stick and GTA Liberty for $60. I know this is a very old first generation PSP. Did I get a good deal? How is this one different from the new ones? He told me NEVER update the firmware and that this PSP has some kind of emulator I must run before I play any games.

$60 is pretty good, He probably has firmware 1.50 on it which most emulators worked well with, It can be updated to newer Custom Firmware (CFW) which is 5.00 along with the 1.50 addon so older emulators will work. In order to install CFW you need to read up about it since there are more than one way to do it. I used a Pandora battery with Magic Memory stick to update mine to 3.80 then used network update to install 4.01 which I currently run.

Biggest difference between that and the Slim is the phat PSP only has 32mb built in memory vs Slims 64mb memory which can help loading of the disc (pre-fetching probably) and some homebrew games that need it.

EDIT: I use a PSP Slim GOW version with a 8gig A-data Micro SDHC with MSPD adapter. I forget to list it just if your wondering.

Just Purchased a like new Sony PSP 1.5 with 2GB memory stick and GTA Liberty for $60. I know this is a very old first generation PSP. Did I get a good deal? How is this one different from the new ones? He told me NEVER update the firmware and that this PSP has some kind of emulator I must run before I play any games.

He was right back in the day but he must never have heard of Dark Alex and his custom firmwares. If you update to custom firmware you can do everything the 'old' 1.5 does but easier and with all the functions of the latest fw.

Upgrading from 1.5 > 5.00m33 is gonna be quite a process tho as I'm sure you need to do it in stages, I don't think you can whack 5.00 m33 straight onto 1.5.....someone will be able to tell you for sure tho.

EDIT - with the phat you don't need a Pandora Battery. Your still best off doing a ton of research tho.

EDIT - with the phat you don't need a Pandora Battery. Your still best off doing a ton of research tho.

This is true for PSP phats that use an official firmware version <= 3.50. There were a multitude of exploits with popular PSP games like GTA:LCS and Lumines that allowed you to reflash the PSP back to version 1.5. Since that has already been taken care of in your case, you can update to Dark-Alex's 3.80 firmware directly, then jump up to the 5.00 custom firmware with the 1.5 kernel add-on. If you want to run older 1.50 compatible software after the upgrade you need to create a GAME150 folder on your memory stick in the PSP folder and place the said software into that folder.

Wow thanks for the reply guys. Im so new to the PS scene, the research is overwhelming. I dont know where to start. Can you guys guide me a little bit on what to do to install the homebrew firmwares?

After looking through this a bit further, i found out its actually a 2.1 downgraded to Firmware 1.5 with DEV_HOOK Firmware Emulator.

So should I first install Dark-Alex 3.80 then CFW 5.00 M33-3?

I'm meh on CFW 5.00 right now - the PS1 on PSP functionality seems to be broken for way more games, and it's not really providing much more functionality over 4.01. But I am biased, I suppose, as the fan translation of Persona 2: Innocent Sin is what I'm play on mine right now.

erwos - the new pops came out from DA. PS1 is just about perfect once again.

OP - if you want to go to CFW with that PSP, make sure you use a Pandora and a Magic Mem Stick. Make a backup of your NAND so that if anything happens you can retore and be safe. Don't ever do an flashing with out a backup.

Back