Just bought a new monitor.........

Mikerocks2112

Limp Gawd
Right now I have a 8800 GTS 512 mb. I will be receiving a dell 2709W soon. Since I will be running at a higher resolution, should I go for a GTX 260 core 216? This is the last day for my 10% off coupon to work on Ebay so I have to make a decision today.

I have also considered the 4870 1gb since my mobo is crossfire, but I have heard some bad news about the latest drivers, plus none of the ATI vendors have a step-up program.

do you plan on playing any recent games or watching blu-ray movies?

I play FPS, RTS, RPG, and MMOs. No current MMO's have grabbed my attention, so I have been sticking to the first 3.

I do plan on watching Blu-ray movies in the future once I get a drive.

edit: games I play are crysis, COD4, Fallout 3, and will be playing Dawn of War II

Don't worry about the driver, both companies have their own driver problems. I'm sure that there are a lot of people with ATI cards without any problem with the driver and I'm also sure that there are people who are having problems with nVidia drivers too.

being that I've used ATI for the last 2 years almost, I can say crossfire or no crossfire I had sooooo many micro-stutters from ATi driver 8.3 to current. 8.2 was the best for me. I was using a 3870 x-fre setup on my x48chipset. I actually sold the 3870's for an 8800gtx and everything was PERFECT. I have a GTX260 core216 showing up tomorrow and im sure that will be just great as-well. Overall im happier with nvidia. I've been playing this game FOR A LONG TIME, nvidia seems to pull out ahead everytime. Im no fanboi of either side, I just like a WiDE memory bus!

being that I've used ATI for the last 2 years almost, I can say crossfire or no crossfire I had sooooo many micro-stutters from ATi driver 8.3 to current. 8.2 was the best for me. I was using a 3870 x-fre setup on my x48chipset. I actually sold the 3870's for an 8800gtx and everything was PERFECT. I have a GTX260 core216 showing up tomorrow and im sure that will be just great as-well. Overall im happier with nvidia. I've been playing this game FOR A LONG TIME, nvidia seems to pull out ahead everytime. Im no fanboi of either side, I just like a WiDE memory bus!

5.2 years with [H] but still don't understand about memory bandwidth? ;)

Don't worry about the driver, both companies have their own driver problems. I'm sure that there are a lot of people with ATI cards without any problem with the driver and I'm also sure that there are people who are having problems with nVidia drivers too.

I still think that Nvidia's vista drivers are a joke. Can't comment on ATI's as I haven't used them.

Back