Just bought a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultimate...

Tahoe916

Gawd
Just bought a new mobo and Ryzen 2700 to replace my aging i7 3820. Wow, what a difference even at stock speeds!

I got it all up and running and verified everything is working, RAM is running XMP @ 3000MHz, so I decided to look into how to overclock these (I went with the 2700 @ MC for $229 since I knew I would OC it and I already have a custom WC loop). I'm a little dismayed that the Gaming Ultimate only offers voltage offset choices in the BIOS. I can't set the voltage as needed.

But, I'm not sure I even need to? It seems like most of the guys Ive seen online are just setting a +.225v on the Vcore and changing the multiplier to x42 and calling it a day. Which I'm perfectly happy to do, but unsure if I should return the MoBo and get the Gaming 5 or even Gaming 7 instead. Its +$40 or +$90. I know the 7 offers direct voltage setting in the BIOS, does the 5 as well? I don't really need anything else they offer on the Mobo so this would be essentially paying to set my voltages for future chips maybe?

Any input? Thanks!

Congrats on your new system.
I am running a 2600X on very inexpensive Gigabyte ultra gaming x470.
I am quite thrifty and recommend going with mid grade or lower motherboards as long as they are made from reputable manufacturer. Additional money is better spend on GPU upgrades since most motherboards perform very similar.

Same mobo I have...its a damn nice board for $139. And the Ryzen 2700 at $229 is a steal...that a boat load of performance for $370. I'm just not sure if the OC options in the higher tiered boards are worth it?

The Ultra Gaming?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/506676/X470_AORUS_ULTRA_GAMING_AM4_ATX_AMD_Motherboard

From what I have seen the next level up, the Gaming 5 has the same VRM, so same overclocking potential there. It just adds Wifi and a few other features. If you don't need that then there really isn't anything worth spending the extra money on.

The Gaming 7 has the better VRM, but yeah, that's a lot of extra money for probably a marginal difference in performance.

Guru3D overclocked a 2700X on the Ultra Gaming and it worked fine, so I don't see the need to spend more. You made some good choices there if you ask me.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_x470_aorus_ultra_gaming_review,18.html

Awesome, that's pretty much what I'm thinking...I got such a great price on everything is seems silly to spend $90 more on some BIOS options. I'll roll with it as is and just lock it at 4.2GHz 1.4v

Thanks!

Just a heads up for anyone else looking at this board. I'm contemplating returning it and getting the Gaming 5 version. Not sure if the BIOS is different though? Trying to OC, and I can only set voltage via offsets. The max offset is +0.300v, and when I boot up CPUz is telling me that I'm at 1.293v at full load. This isn't enough for a stable 4.2GHz OC. I can set the voltage via Ryzen Master (in fact you can way overvolt to 1.8v on accident, so be careful!) but I'm not sure if I want to go the software route for my 24/7 OC. I think I might spend the $40 and get the next tier up as I believe you can set the voltage manually in those BIOSes.

If anyone knows for sure, please chime in!

My AM4 waterblock should be here tomorrow, soon as I slap it in I'll come back with my results on the OC. Still debating if I should return it and get the Gaming 5 as i "think" it allows you to set the Vcore manually in that BIOS.

My AM4 waterblock should be here tomorrow, soon as I slap it in I'll come back with my results on the OC. Still debating if I should return it and get the Gaming 5 as i "think" it allows you to set the Vcore manually in that BIOS.
I don't know...this is all it says in the PDF manual

"Advanced Voltage Settings This sub-menu allows you to set CPU, chipset and memory voltages"

This is for the Gaming 7, but...

This (with screenshots) overclocking guide says you can set the Vcore, or it can be set to Auto.

I can't believe that the same option wouldn't be available in yours.

Yea, I can only find the Gaming 7 (which allows you to set Vcore) and the Ultra Gaming (which only allows Vcore offset of up to +0.300)....I can't find anything about the Gaming 5. I'm guessing it will be like the Gaming 7, but would like to know for sure before I return it. It works fine if I do it through Ryzen Master, so i know its perfectly capable of it. Its just GB has not included that setting in the BIOS because they are stinky cunts. -_-

Microcenter didnt have the Gaming 7 in stock, so I ended up purchasing an ASUS Strix X470 Gaming-F for $190. It has everything I needed and more for OC'ing. Currently at 4.3GHz on all cores, but have a lot of tweaking to do still and still haven't even started on the RAM yet.

Microcenter didnt have the Gaming 7 in stock, so I ended up purchasing an ASUS Strix X470 Gaming-F for $190. It has everything I needed and more for OC'ing. Currently at 4.3GHz on all cores, but have a lot of tweaking to do still and still haven't even started on the RAM yet.
How goes it 2 weeks later?

Going great, I actually like the Gigabyte boards better, but the inability to not set straight CPU voltages is a disqualifier. For $190 the ASUS Strix has been a great performer, has done everything I've asked of it. Still sitting at 4.3GHz @ 1.4v, OC's my ram from 3000 to 3200 and am working on tightening the timings. Haven't had a single crash or lock up yet. Ryzen 2 is the bees-knees, super happy with that performance per dollar in this setup. Have the whole setup on my custom loop, bought the Raystorm Neo waterblock for $60 off Amazon, it idles at 35c and when gaming/pushing it the highest I've seen is 68c.

Definitely happy, this should last me for quite a while. All my benchmarks have been slightly higher than my buddies i7 7820x, which pisses him off immensely, and makes me happy :D

Going great, I actually like the Gigabyte boards better, but the inability to not set straight CPU voltages is a disqualifier. For $190 the ASUS Strix has been a great performer, has done everything I've asked of it. Still sitting at 4.3GHz @ 1.4v, OC's my ram from 3000 to 3200 and am working on tightening the timings. Haven't had a single crash or lock up yet. Ryzen 2 is the bees-knees, super happy with that performance per dollar in this setup. Have the whole setup on my custom loop, bought the Raystorm Neo waterblock for $60 off Amazon, it idles at 35c and when gaming/pushing it the highest I've seen is 68c.

Definitely happy, this should last me for quite a while. All my benchmarks have been slightly higher than my buddies i7 7820x, which pisses him off immensely, and makes me happy :D
What do you like more about the Gigabyte boards? I am thinking of snagging a Gaming 7 with eBay's 15% off today...

The board just seemed higher quality, it was probably nothing material...but the LEDs were better placed and better quality, the matte black board was gorgeous, the M.2 heatsink design was much easier to use. Little thing...honestly, nothing major at all, but if they were the same price, I'd probably pick the Gaming 7 over the Strix. Either one will function pretty much exactly the same.

If it's the same as the x370 boards, the 5 will have almost all the features of the 7, maybe just a bit weaker vrm. The K5 (note the "K"), has much fewer overclocking features than the 5, but includes a clock generator for non-multiplier overclocking. The K7 is virtually identical to the 7, but includes the clock generator.
So, K7 ≈ 7 > 5 > K5

Back