Just bought 200 shares @ 8.74

That may "look" like a bargain, but it's risky given the fact that AMD is not looking good for the entire 2008. I would have waited till the mid to end of 08 to buy. I mean, can you honestly say it won't dip to $4/share in 08? I think it can... and I think that's when I'm going in.... maybe even $3 for SURE!

In any case, I think AMD will make a come back, and in the long term, you'll make a nice return. Good buy.

AMD just closed for today @ 8 dollars a share. Probably on the news about Gateway selling lower-end Phenom quad systems.

AMD isn't where you should put your money...

Nvidia is a fantastic buy right now. Up 10% today, and will continue to go up with Geforce 9 benchmarks showing nice improvements and soon to be released.

I feel AMD will drop more before it comes back...that's strictly my opinion.

Did you see that Yahoo went up 50% today based on speculation/bid (not guarentee) that Microsoft will buy them?

That's nuts.

If you want to go high risk, instead of going all in on something like Nvidia by following product cycles, you should have 60% of your money tied up in consistent earners and 40% in something like Nvidia. That way, at least you're constantly earning regardless of what happens with Nvidia. Conventional wisdom says you should have no more than 25% tied up in any one area of the market, but there's nothing wrong with being a risk taker. However if you're taking 10k and dropping it on Nvidia every product refresh, you're going to be in for it one of these days when they release another 5900 Series

lol i almost bought 200 shares too a few weeks ago glad i decided against that.....thinking about investing a tad bit of cash into nvidia.... that or stay away from tech stocks for a little while till i can find a good up N comer that i can hopefully get cheap like $8 a share and possibly sell for a small profit but as of yet i havent seen too many projections in the tech market to make me jump

6.34 a share?

The question is whether to wait until it hits 5 to buy. Frankly, considering it is AMD, I can't see how that's a bad buy at this point.

6.34 a share?

The question is whether to wait until it hits 5 to buy. Frankly, considering it is AMD, I can't see how that's a bad buy at this point.
There are many others who have thrown their money into the AMD quicksand, so you won't be alone. :p

they better get it together quick cause i am smelling bankruptcy. then again i am considering putting a few hundred in and seeing where it could go... couldnt go lower than 4 could it?

they better get it together quick cause i am smelling bankruptcy. then again i am considering putting a few hundred in and seeing where it could go... couldnt go lower than 4 could it?

2 years ago would you have thought it would be 6 bucks? not me. if some one asked me back then i would just bet what ever i had at the time if some one said " bet ya in 2 years their stock will be 6 bucks".

2 years ago would you have thought it would be 6 bucks? not me. if some one asked me back then i would just bet what ever i had at the time if some one said " bet ya in 2 years their stock will be 6 bucks".

not two years ago could you have predicted this, but definately 1 year ago...I in fact did. I watch the product cycles of these companies and about 1 year ago or even a few months more than 1 year ago, my friend invested several thousand in AMD. I told him bad move, they are going to hit around $5 a share. It was/is true. I don't think we've seen the lowest from AMD yet, so if you are considering investing - now is not the time. IF in 2009 they make a good chip and the engineering samples are compettiive, and IF they release a nice top teir graphics card, or IF they combine CPU/GPU (AMD+ATI) -- then you'll have a force to reckon with...but the time is NOT ripe to put money in them now.

6.34 a share?

Frankly, considering it's AMD, I can't see how it's a good buy at this point. You can't simply say AMD is too big or was too successful in the past to get down to 5 or below. Look at how they are doing now. It doesn't inspire much confidence. At their current rate, I don't know how they will last beyond this year.

its a sad thing especially being an amd fan. they helped keep prices competitive in the market.... Intel has already smelled this and is currently selling cpu's at $1000 + sure they are high performance cpu's but if amd had a viable product on their hands intel wouldnt be selling any chip for a grand thats just rediculous. their R&D needs to get a top selling performer on the market well they needed it by Q4 last year or earlier. I am going to stick with AMD to the bitter end. sure my phenom isnt the greatest cpu on the market but i enjoy its performance a great deal... it does what i need it to do... sure i thought about the q6600 and could have built my rig a tad cheaper going with the q6600. but i have never been disapointed with amd... i knew the phenom performance wasnt there .... but someone had to stick with amd and frankly i dont mind being one of the few... who knows maybe they will be able to bounce back.... if they can survive this year hopefully they can get an intel crusher/ competitor soonish

they helped keep prices competitive in the market.... Intel has already smelled this and is currently selling cpu's at $1000 +
AMD was also selling $1000 desktop CPUs if you can remember. That is just one perk of having the performance crown.

not two years ago could you have predicted this, but definately 1 year ago...I in fact did. I watch the product cycles of these companies and about 1 year ago or even a few months more than 1 year ago, my friend invested several thousand in AMD. I told him bad move, they are going to hit around $5 a share. It was/is true. I don't think we've seen the lowest from AMD yet, so if you are considering investing - now is not the time. IF in 2009 they make a good chip and the engineering samples are compettiive, and IF they release a nice top teir graphics card, or IF they combine CPU/GPU (AMD+ATI) -- then you'll have a force to reckon with...but the time is NOT ripe to put money in them now.

15 months ago,I posted on this board that it would hit 7 and under,and go lower.How many here believed me ? :D

Nortel anyone? :D

Check my post history on that company,this year and going back to 2005.

I don't see how AMD can not go into bankruptcy.

It's a failing company. They've been ravaged.

AMD is the Buster Douglas of computer procs. They got a lucky punch and knocked out the champ, but they'll can win in the long run.

AMD is the Buster Douglas of computer procs. They got a lucky punch and knocked out the champ, but they'll can win in the long run.

AMD has been in worse situations, believe it or not. Granted, it's a very tough road ahead, but with proper management at the helm I still believe things can turn around in the long run. Or someone will gobble them up, like Samsung, or Texas Instruments...

AMD has been in worse situations, believe it or not.
Not really. The huge amount of debt and steep losses are unprecedented in AMD's entire history.

I wouldn't say AMD is about to die. There are enough suckers, I mean speculative investors, willing to still lend the company money. A death spiral in the future wouldn't be unexpected though.

A lucky punch lasting almost three years? I've seen some silly arguments in here, and this is just one of them.

I bought mine at around $12 before Phenom was even released. Who would have known the 9700s and 9900s were DOA and the AMD would claim TLB is a major issue for stop ship?

Who would have known the 9700s and 9900s were DOA and the AMD would claim TLB is a major issue for stop ship?
No one really. But the warning signs that there were major problems had been out for months. The only contrary to those warnings were ridiculous rumors from the inquirer and similar fannish sites.

I don't really understand why people were expecting something radically better with Phenom than what quad core Opteron was delivering. If anything, AMD would want to make the higher margin parts as good as possible.

I bought mine at around $12 before Phenom was even released. Who would have known the 9700s and 9900s were DOA and the AMD would claim TLB is a major issue for stop ship?

Phenom was rumored in engineering samples to be a poor chip when AMD was at $15 a share.

Hi wondering if you still have theses shares since amd just turned a profitable quarter.

Hehe, me too, but unfortunately...
mason.kramer: Last Activity: 08-08-2009 02:17 AM

man I told my buddy to invest in AMD in 2008 because I had a good feeling things were looking up after releasing the 4800 series. He didn't take my advice and I didn't have any capital at that time :(

They did have it quite rough for a while though after first Phenom flopped and the 2900XT was mediocre at best.

So, did anybody actually check the curent stock prince on AMD???? $9.77...:rolleyes:
Looks like the guy didn't make hardly anything with his 200 shares...

So, did anybody actually check the curent stock prince on AMD???? $9.77...:rolleyes:
Looks like the guy didn't make hardly anything with his 200 shares...

long term investment.. stocks should go up with the thubans and will most likely go up with the bulldozer when it comes out.. welcome to the stock market and tech stocks..

8.74x200= 1748
9.77x200= 1954.. + 200 dollars isnt bad for only 2 years if you really think about it..

Last edited:
Back