Just Beat HL2 - My thoughts WITHOUT Spoilers...

Stangs55

Limp Gawd
Real quick, I can sum up HL2 like this:

I'm an enormous movie/theatre buff. However, HL2 is arguably the greatest piece of entertainment that I ever experienced in my life. Greater that any game I've ever played, movie I've ever seen, and possibly tied with the first time I saw Les Miserables or Phatom. Yes--it's just that good.

Valve had no greater critic or synic than I when they kept lying and pushing back the release date. But now....holy crap. I take it all back. It was worth the wait. This marks a milestone, not only in pc gaming, but in entertainment.

For the 2.5 ppl who haven't bought HL2...buy it. You won't regret it.

--My 2bits.

ps-It didn't look bad either at 1600x1200, 4x,8x :)

i totally agree. in terms of cinematics, and entertainment value, hl2 was absolutely stunning. the last level blew me completely away. the way valve did it was just SO well done. i couldnt believe it. simply amazing :)

You guys are making me thinking of leaving work early to contiune my adventure in HL2

theNoid said:
I'll pass, Valve doesn't deserve my hard earned money...

So pass quietly we dont need more of this crap in an HL2 discussion thread, take it to one of the "omg valve sucks /cry" threads.

I at first thought the ending was a little weak, but then I went back and played through some of the earlier areas and picked up a little more on the story than I did the first time.

Edit - Spelling

I'm not acquiring HL2 unless Valve disolves Steam so I don't have to put up with their shit OR "someone else" creates something similar ;) ;)...until then, they will just have to do without a single penny of mine...Steam is a steaming pile of
shit.gif

Metallica_Band said:
I'm not acquiring HL2 unless Valve disolves Steam so I don't have to put up with their shit OR "someone else" creates something similar ;) ;)...until then, they will just have to do without a single penny of mine...Steam is a steaming pile of
shit.gif

It's your loss...not Valve's. Let's not be so self-righteous to think that Valve misses you. :)

Yeah, Valve really doesn't miss you, nor do I :)

The game is great, havn't finished yet, but the physics is just an amazing element. It adds to the flavor of the game, it really makes it much more engaging and fun.

As for the Steam thing. Please, I know some of you are having problems, but the crap all over the forums is crazy. Just organize yourselves and stop crapping on us :).

I had NO problems with Steam whatsoever. I think it's a great way to protect an investment. I spent hard earned money on HL2 and I don't want some punkass person to just hack it all away. HL2 is worth the money, I can't deny it.

or just buy a ATI card and get a hl2 coupon and get the game for free. And I actualy didnt have any problem with hl2, but then again I was one of the few that expected the servers would be pounded on release date. Now I do disagree with the way steam has handled this, and I do not like the steam interface or what they have done to cs (yes 1.6 was just as bad). Now HL2 the game (steam aside) is well worth it. Stop bringing politics into your games. Play the games for the game, not the company creating it. Dont you rember a time when you didnt know why the creator of the game was and just played the games that looked cool. God I miss being a kid.

JEEVES

edited for typo

i only had one slight problem with getting HL2 with my ATI voucher but it was one we file under the "PEBCAK" type :cool:

Les Miserables sucked. Phantom of the Opera was good though. I'm bout to beat the game and i'm crapping my pants.

lol @ Les miserables sucked ....

You probably wanted to have some car chase, gun fights and explosions, and sex scene for no reason?

Metallica_Band said:
shit.gif

i bet you uploaded that poo picture just so that you could use it when you talk about steam.

You know.. if you hate Valve and don't want to play HL2, we really don't care. It's like the babies want us to pat them on the head for having such strong convictions.. I personally don't care.. I think the the game is awesome.. so don't play it.. nobody cares.. and you're not going to convince us Valve/Steam/HL2 sucks..

retardedchicken said:
i only had one slight problem with getting HL2 with my ATI voucher but it was one we file under the "PEBCAK" type :cool:

ah very well known error here in the tech support buisness. next to "id 10.t" error I rarely see any other type of errors.

JEEVES <--dsl tech support (bored as hell)

Glad to see a thread about HL2 goodness. I'm really sorry for people that are having problems, but get over it. It's difficult to pull something like this off, and I think Valve did as well as could be expected. I logged on at 2 am and havn't had any problems.

Just beat it, and yes, while the ending was a touch weak on the combat/difficulty side, the last two chapters were quite possibly the greatest experience of my gaming career. And it's as open ended as HL1's ending, so plenty of room for HL3 in, say, about 2014. ;)

You summed up my feelings perfectly. To me, this game is a movie more than anything, with me playing the lead role. Gabe Newell and the folks over at Valve have more creative talent than half of Hollywood combined.
Taking it a step further, the levels I have enjoyed most are the opening sequences in City 17 and Black Mesa East. I have always been in to FPS games that have heavy combat, but the environment they created is simply astounding. The soldiers in City 17 make me feel like I am in hell, almost like I am playing in an interactive movie that takes place in Nazi Germany during 1939.. Crazy game, a true masterpiece of storytelling, art direction and technology.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE IDIOTIC REVIEWS ALL OVER THE NET THAT STATE THIS GAME ISN'T REVOLUTIONARY. It IS!!! HL2 is a classic game that has taken interactive entertainment to a new level. Everything about it is a revolution in gaming; name me one FPS that can entertain you for hours on end without combat!! I have replayed levels multiple times, in awe of the game each and every time. I just completed Ravenhold, and plan on starting over again from the start before deciding to finish HL2. It’s that good.

if anyone had problems with steam it was me.. I have the ati coupon and had preloaded HL2 waiting for release.. when I got up and started unlocking, steam crashed. Then I finally got it unlocked and couldn't even get to the menu screen without the reference memory error.

I then went out and bought the retail copy the next day for my girlfriend and her computer and took hours before I could get into steam to start unlocking her copy on her computer. Her computer worked fine, and mine just wouldn't get into the game. I then went to reinstall my audio and chipset drivers, which then made my sound to stop working. The newest drivers wouldnt install and I got the EVIL "data is invalid error". <--- look it up, not many easy solutions.

So I then nuked my entire computer reinstalled everything, and finally HL2 worked for me. So I actually downloaded the game twice, reinstalled of the retail CDs 3 times and now everything works great. Both computers run the game with no problems.

After experiencing half the game already, would I go back and do it all over again to get the game to work ?? Fuck yah! It was my computer and its buggy OS that hasnt been cleaned for months that caused the problems, not steam or valve.

I still don't like steam much, and think its pretty crappy... the friends list hardly works, and I still cant add my friend to the list....

No game has had me so excited to see whats around the corner, or whats going to happen next... its an awesome experience. Doom 3 was just never this good either.

I think it's really good so far. I dont know if its the best entertainment I've ever seen/played but I'm not done yet so I'm not sure I guess.

I was finished playing this game today, and oh my frickkin Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though the ending of it pissed me off, the journey to get to the end was just ASTOUNDING!!!! One part i liked baout the end though was

SPOILER ALERT!!!

when you kill Breen (or whatever), and then the Citadel is about to blow up and Alyx and you are trying to get away but then the thing blows up and then BAM!!! BULLET TIME! The way everything in the world freezes in the game world except Gman and you is just amazing. And the other amazing thing is the UBER silver gravity gun. Damn, when you have that thing, you basically need nothing else...period.

So in closing...this week is by far the best gaming week I have EVER had. Even though steam is annoying, half life 2 is IMO without a doubt THE best game EVER!!!! CAn't wait til half life 3 :D

Bumrush said:
DO NOT BELIEVE THE IDIOTIC REVIEWS ALL OVER THE NET THAT STATE THIS GAME ISN'T REVOLUTIONARY. It IS!!! HL2 is a classic game that has taken interactive entertainment to a new level. Everything about it is a revolution in gaming; name me one FPS that can entertain you for hours on end without combat!! I have replayed levels multiple times, in awe of the game each and every time. I just completed Ravenhold, and plan on starting over again from the start before deciding to finish HL2. It’s that good.

I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions, but don't assume that because you think the game is great that everybody else does as well. Now I think the game is definately to be considered one of the better fps this year, but I wouldn't consider it revolutionary nor would I think it is the best game of all time. There is nothing new here really. You guys say the story is great, but in all honestly the story is very low key. I mean you really have no idea what exactly your fighting for. Your just kind of going along for the ride. I guess you can assume your trying to fight oppression and all that shit, but there is no big picture. Least with doom3 and the likes you knew what the goal was. There was a beginning and an end. To HL2 there is neither.

Now in terms of actual gameplay and gfx, there is not a single thing new cept a gun that can grab and throw things. Wow! Honestly I don't think the grav gun is all that great. Also everybody praises the interactive environment, but that is nothing new either. The added vehicles have been done in other games as well. Everybody says the gfx are all great, but I just don't see it. They don't look bad, but they in no way look realistic. Where are the shadows, the dynamic lighting? Why in the hell is half the stuff more reflective than my bathroom mirror. Personally I think they cut out all the dynamic lighting and shadows because either they couldn't pull it off in time or they are targeting a young audience who can't afford the high end rig. Now you can say this doesn't matter, but it does for longevity of the game. I don't see hl2 hanging around for as long as hl1 did just because there is way more competition nowadays, and it just isn't as good relative to the time as hl1 was.

Personally I see hl2 fading away unless they get some good mods for it. CS won't cut it since it is the same ole shit with new gfx and the same 12 year olds playing it. Maybe DoD will be good, and maybe they will have some new mods come out, only time will tell.

Back