Just another (Sandwich) ITX

I'm planning to build a rig like this but with some different hardwares:
Still a 750Ti, 1 SSD, 1 2.5" HDD
but with the ASUS H97I-PLUS and I5 4460 @ 0.91v
The case come with 120W DC/DC board and 12V-5A AC adapter
I did some calculation on here, and it takes about 155W for the system (97W without the card) I wonder if the PSU is enough?? (given the j1900 TDP is 10W and my [email protected] is 50W estimated)

No way your 60 watt ac adapter will be enough. My 4590S [65w TDP] with 750ti sandwhich pc draws 110 watts gaming load [which is mostly on the 12v rail] and 130 watts when doing CPU intensive games. 150w minimum I'd say for the ac adapter and a 160w hd-plex or 12v 160w Pico.

100w on 12v is min for a quad. Check out my build thread: i ran into troubles with a g3258 cpu and 120w psu. Also be careful with efficiencies: my 120w brick is only 83% efficient, which means roughly 100w. Go for meanwell if possible.

Yes they are right; you have to use a more powerfull brick for your config...at least a 150w (200w should be better)

100w on 12v is min for a quad. Check out my build thread: i ran into troubles with a g3258 cpu and 120w psu. Also be careful with efficiencies: my 120w brick is only 83% efficient, which means roughly 100w. Go for meanwell if possible.

That's not how efficiency works. If you buy a 120W brick, then the maximum total load is 120W. You have to be careful how that is divided over the different rails, though.

If your PSU has an efficiency of 83%, that means the power draw from the wall will be about load / 83%.

That's not how efficiency works. If you buy a 120W brick, then the maximum total load is 120W. You have to be careful how that is divided over the different rails, though.

If your PSU has an efficiency of 83%, that means the power draw from the wall will be about load / 83%.

Thank you for your clarification. It might be so in theory, but not in my case. My brick has a max output of around 100-110W - I tested it: anything above this limit yields random crashes, probably because of instable voltage. That's why I advised meanwell.

Last edited:
Good to hear, Eddie. I've been hooked since day one - that chip and GPU combination is an intriguing setup.

Thanks man. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the motherboard I can't simply upgrade my CPU replacing with another one, so I'am going to chance the combo mono+CPU+RAM.....I'll keep the case, the VGA, the pico and the hard drive...my goals will ne the same....performances, low noise and temperatures always under control

Eddie, have you tried something CPU intesive on the J1900+gtx750 of yours? For example GTAV or something. I wonder about the bottleneck on those, since you showed us some impressive results with this settup.

sorry kooky; I haven't GTAV, so I can't try....the most intensive cpu games avaible are crysis 3 and far cry 3, and they run quit (not at higher framre rate...for examples far cry 3 it's around 30fps......crysis 3 frame rate is heavely related to the maps)

Thanks man. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the motherboard I can't simply upgrade my CPU replacing with another one, so I'am going to chance the combo mono+CPU+RAM.....I'll keep the case, the VGA, the pico and the hard drive...my goals will ne the same....performances, low noise and temperatures always under control

Thank you! Honestly, before I ever saw your build I was curious to see how such a pairing would behave, so you could say you satisfied my curiosity. Most people are so obsessed with the bleeding edge that they often overlook just how insanely capable tech is, even at the bottom, and it is that tech that commonly absorbs me most. Occasionally, I find my mind wandering, thinking 'What would the indie game dev scene do if they had a cheap commodity development target at X spec?' And I understand - that Celeron is soldered down, right? In order to change out CPU, you'll have to ditch the mobo, too. Any hints which direction you're thinking of going with your upgrade?

yes, that is, the cpu is soldered on the mobo so, to do an upgrade, I need to replace the entire set.
the new cpu should be here today (thanks to fedex)...than I will decide which model of motherboard use (probably a cheaper one....I don't need to overlock or any special features)

Stay tuned...some serious upgrades on sight....

sorry kooky; I haven't GTAV, so I can't try....the most intensive cpu games avaible are crysis 3 and far cry 3, and they run quit (not at higher framre rate...for examples far cry 3 it's around 30fps......crysis 3 frame rate is heavely related to the maps)

Oh, it's allright, I said GTAV because it was a CPU intensive game that I had at the top of my mind at the moment, but FarCry3 is also quite CPU heavy. Thanks for the info! Looking forward to the new upgrade! Please share some benchmarks when it you get the computer ready! I'm quite curious about the temps and the capabilities of this low power Xeon! :D

A low power Xeon... this puzzle just gets more and more interesting the more you look at it.

Eddie, how "tall" is that GTX 750ti's heatsink? Something around 2mm?
EDIT: I meant 20mm

Last edited:
First boot out of the case (just to be sure that all works):

xeon 1230l v3
asrock h81m-itx
scythe kodati for the cpu
2x4gb crucial ballistx sport 1600mhz
evga gtx 750 ti

seems working; i install Windows 10 and did some little test; actually I was testing the cpu without a fan; under 20 minutes of occt the temp max was 63° (outside the case); I think that inside the case, with a big fan @ 500rpm should be fine

Wow!
I wans't even aware that heatsink existed!
Eddie, could you please run Cinebench with some monitoring software (something like the OpenHardwareMonitor) to see how much wattage its says the CPU is consuming during the run?
EDIT: Is that the 140mm prolimatech slim fan?

Last edited:
Yes sure. I'll do this evening ;)
And yes, you have right, the fan is the 140 prolimatech slim

Hi guys. sorry for the late. during the last weekend I finally finish my pc...all seems working fine but.. I got problems with cpu temps! inside the case, with the vga placed on the heatsink I have 50° on idle and 74° in full load...and I'm not satisfied about this, cause these days are cold, but what will happen on summer?
soon I will replace the fan (a 120mm scythe slim) with a 140mm slim fan, and I hope that will drop a bit the temps...

Which 140mm are you gonna buy?
By the way, did you run the Cinebench test?

Wow... it's registering 31.2W max!
Please give us some feedback on that 140mm fan after you test it. I too have been wondering its usefulness. :)

Back