Just another "is 10GB enough for 4K gaming" thread?

3080 20GB will likely be the best-balanced choice in the $800-900 range this generation. That said, I'd rather save a few hundred (my guess is Navi 21 will cost $600) for 10% less performance (again, a guess where I think Navi 21 will land vs. 3080). That $200 will pay for a new Ryzen 4600 and part of a new mobo to support it.

LOL, the 20 GB version is not going to be $800. GDDR6X is not cheap.

LOL, the 20 GB version is not going to be $800. GDDR6X is not cheap.

I'm guessing MSRP will be $800-900 (for the little that term merits nowadays). Actual street price for the first few months will, I'm sure, be considerably higher.

3080 20GB will likely be the best-balanced choice in the $800-900 range this generation. That said, I'd rather save a few hundred (my guess is Navi 21 will cost $600) for 10% less performance (again, a guess where I think Navi 21 will land vs. 3080). That $200 will pay for a new Ryzen 4600 and part of a new mobo to support it.

If the 3080 20GB is $800-$900, i'll agree with you 100%, but I think you're being far too generous in your assumption.

After some (very) quick googling, the best approximation I can make is 10GB worth of GDDR6X will cost manufacturers $100-$150. That means that at $800, they're potentially making less money than the already rumored to be lower than normal profit 3080. Even at $900, profit dollars would be higher, but margins would be lower. Neither of those price points lines up with the theory that Nvidia wants a 20GB 3080 that's more in line with their traditional profit margin. My guess is that the 20GB 3080 slots perfectly into where the 2080 Ti was.... a $999 MSRP that we'll rarely see at retail, with regularly available stock sitting more in the $1,100 - $1,200 price point. This would fit perfectly in the massive gap between the 3080 and 3090.

do you think that we will see 3080 20GB before christmas or it's something that will arrive next summer?
what is the general consensous?

is there some benchs that shows the 2080 8GB limitations?
what are the current games that uses more than 8GB?

Ghost Recon Breakpoint uses 6.8GB at 4K on Very High settings. On Ultimate, it uses 6.9GB. There are a handful that can use more than this, but they aren't common. Also, keep in mind that when you mod games VRAM usage can certainly increase. I'm not saying 10GB isn't enough. I think it probably is 95% of the time. I think people are concerned about how long that statement will hold true. Few people want to spend upwards of $800 on a graphics card only to have to replace it in a year or two because it's VRAM is insufficient.

If you are the type to replace your card each and every time something new comes out, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you only buy graphics cards every 3.5 years or more then those concerns are valid.

not very many.. that being said the speed of the memory plays a much larger role in how much vram is actually needed.. GDDR6X is fast enough with a big enough bus that it can easily swap textures back and forth between system memory and vram without there being a negative impact. also with nvidia implementing a way to directly communicate between system storage, and system memory while bypassing the cpu it should negate a lot of bottlenecks with the limited vram(remember AMD did something similar to this with furyX and it worked pretty damn well).

consumers are far to stuck in the "bigger number = better" which while might be the case doesn't necessarily mean it's actually better.. remember the days when you could buy gpu's with 1 or 2GB of memory even though in reality it was no better than the 256 or 512mb cards because games didn't actually use any where close to that much memory? yeah welcome to a repeat of the 90's/early 2000's.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint uses 6.8GB at 4K on Very High settings. On Ultimate, it uses 6.9GB. There are a handful that can use more than this, but they aren't common. Also, keep in mind that when you mod games VRAM usage can certainly increase. I'm not saying 10GB isn't enough. I think it probably is 95% of the time. I think people are concerned about how long that statement will hold true. Few people want to spend upwards of $800 on a graphics card only to have to replace it in a year or two because it's VRAM is insufficient.

If you are the type to replace your card each and every time something new comes out, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you only buy graphics cards every 3.5 years or more then those concerns are valid.

but 6.9GB isn't >= than 8GB

but 6.9GB isn't >= than 8GB

I understand that. My point is that at 4K, its using quite a bit of an 8GB card's memory. 10GB should be fine for most cases. At least, for awhile. How long 10GB will be OK is anyone's guess. If you don't play at 4K, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. A 3080 with 10GB should be more than plenty for the foreseeable future. If you do, then it only matters if you keep your cards long term. Right now, 10GB is probably fine.

do you think that we will see 3080 20GB before christmas or it's something that will arrive next summer?
what is the general consensous?

We'll definitely see AIBs releasing before Christmas. The card's raison d'être is to blunt Navi 21 which comes out end of October. Whether you'll be able to actually purchase one before end of year, that's a different question.

GDDR6X is fast enough with a big enough bus that it can easily swap textures back and forth between system memory and vram without there being a negative impact.

How fast GDDR6X is doesn't really matter if you're swapping assets to and from system ram. At that point you are limited by the speed of your system ram, not your VRAM.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Well I can tell you Horizon zero dawn is using over 14GB of memory at 4K HDR. Not sure if the game just loads up as much as it needs or anything, just stating it is currently using that much

Well I can tell you Horizon zero dawn is using over 14GB of memory at 4K HDR. Not sure if the game just loads up as much as it needs or anything, just stating it is currently using that much
Not sure what you’re using to check the VRAM usage. But apparently Windows Task Manager (of all things) was updated a few years ago to see how much VRAM is being used and not just allocated. Could be worth comparing against the tool you’re currently using to see if there is a difference.

Using MSI AB.
Next time you load up the game could you check what Task Manager says? I’m actually curious. I have a 3080 and 3090 on the way, and I need to pick which one I’m keeping.

Next time you load up the game could you check what Task Manager says? I’m actually curious. I have a 3080 and 3090 on the way, and I need to pick which one I’m keeping.

Task manager is shit for GPU monitoring. Half the games I play it shows no load.

Task manager is shit for GPU monitoring. Half the games I play it shows no load.

There's an option to change what is being monitored- it's called something else, but shows the GPU 3D load. Can check in a few - try changing the drop down menu from 3d to cuda.

Last edited:
Don't forget to alot for Xanax dealing with driver issues. In all fairness it has been two decades since i ran an ATI card. Have things changed?

Back