Jury-rig a laptop cooling fan?

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's the quick and dirty story: Have a Dell Inspiron 1420. It has the defective piece of shit Nvidia 8400m. GPU died on me due to the defect. Dell sent me a new motherboard. Fixed the video issue but the system fan died. They sent me another system fan. That one doesn't work either. They sent me a third motherboard. Still no go. So I have 2 fans and 3 motherboards and no fan works on any motherboard.

Now I can tell the fan they sent me was used. Dell has since said my extended warranty does not cover anything but the video card and that I should not have even gotten the original cooling fan. So they are not sending me anything else as my extended warranty ended December 31. So I told them to KMA and left it at that.

So I have three options.

1. Buy a used fan either from Dell or from Ebay. The cooling fan in question is roughly $25-50 for a Forcecon YY529. Fan specs are 5V .5AMP 6CFM.
2. Buy a new laptop from a vendor other then Dell.
3. Buy a fan from the local computer shop and rig it to work on the motherboard.

I'd rather not spend $25-50 for something used and has no guarantee to work for the next 12 months.

Buying a new laptop is an option but is an expensive one.

So I'd like to try option 3 since I really have nothing to lose at this point. How hard/dangerous is it to buy a cheapo fan that would fit the heatsink unit and splice it's cables into the fan header end of the current fans for use?

Back