Jury Finds Samsung Owes Apple $539M in Patent Case Stretching Back to 2011

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Ok, this thing has been going on long enough and there might finally be an end in sight. A jury has looked at the damages once again and now says that Samsung owes Apple $539M for infringing on their iPhone patents. The original damages were for $1B and of course Samsung was having none of that and appealed. The appeal has been slowly grinding away and now they have managed to get the damages down to a little over half of what they were. You have to think that Samsung is tired of all of this and will lick their wounds and pay up. If not, this might go on for another seven years.

Unfortunately for Samsung, the "infringing component" for the design patents seems to have been considered by the jury as being the entire phone. The result is that a great deal of Samsung’s profits from selling the infringing devices ended up composing the damages. It sets a major precedent in the patent litigation world, although not necessarily a logical one.

It's probably still $1B, Apple was just nice enough to discount what Samsung already paid their lawyers.

I waited for a year for the first iPhone, but found it to be quite disappointing.
It set a new path of integration, as a whole was kind of novel but none of it's parts or design were when taken individually.
Capabilities wise the first iPhone felt more like a prototype in beta than a real product, probably they rushed a bit to beat anyone else.

Indeed the very first iPhone predated on Htc Palm (RIP) and others products and designs, those design patents should be invalid in first place.

Anyways even if at first sight those rounded squares were similar hell would have frozen before someone bought a Samsung product thinking it was an Apple one.

Those in the jury are a bunch of idiots or zealots and I don't know which one is worse.

Bet the lawyers have racked up more than that in fees over the course of this crap. :p

My guess would be that Samsung appeals, it was a jury verdict and if it was decided on a totality approach the Federal Circuit may reverse it and send it back down for reconsideration.

The automatic windshield wiper cases lasted for over twelve years before a settlement.

I waited for a year for the first iPhone, but found it to be quite disappointing.
It set a new path of integration, as a whole was kind of novel but none of it's parts or design were when taken individually.
Capabilities wise the first iPhone felt more like a prototype in beta than a real product, probably they rushed a bit to beat anyone else.

Indeed the very first iPhone predated on Htc Palm (RIP) and others products and designs, those design patents should be invalid in first place.

Anyways even if at first sight those rounded squares were similar hell would have frozen before someone bought a Samsung product thinking it was an Apple one.

Those in the jury are a bunch of idiots or zealots and I don't know which one is worse.

I had the first iPhone. There was nothing like it at the time. It wasn't the first candy-bar format phone, but the others didn't have the same level of UI integration and usability.

While pretty cool, the original iPhone also had its problems. The Edge only network was dog slow, for instance, but the being able to view full PC webpages was brilliant.

I disagree with people who say the iPhone was revolutionary though. It was an evolutionary integration step. We would have wound up with candybar, multitouch pinch/unpinch phones one way or another. The entire market was moving in that direction. Apple just got there first.

I think in most of these cases Apple is just being a patent troll. I am not familiar with the details this case hinged on, but I will say one thing. Samsung did copy the home button concept from apple. That was pretty egregious. Other than that, this is - to use modern parlance - a "nothingburger".

Rectangles with rounded corners and a rigged jury led to this.

I do agree that the rectangles with rounded edges thing is ridiculous, but they do have a point when it comes to the home button. That was kind of a blatant ripoff on Samsung's part.

I do agree that the rectangles with rounded edges thing is ridiculous, but they do have a point when it comes to the home button. That was kind of a blatant ripoff on Samsung's part.
What about as to the iPhone roughly the same distance between black bars and top and bottom?

Vague enough for you?

I don't know what this means.
It's the Steve jobs patent.

rectangular product shape with all four corners uniformly rounded;
the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;
as to the iPhone and iPod touch products, substantial black borders above and below the screen having roughly equal width and narrower black borders on either side of the screen having roughly equal width;
as to the iPad product, substantial black borders on all sides being roughly equal in width;
a metallic surround framing the perimeter of the top surface;
a display of a grid of colorful square icons with uniformly rounded corners; and
a bottom row of square icons (the "Springboard") set off from the other icons and that do not change as the other pages of the user interface are viewed.

Yes this has been litigated for a while , but it sad to see Apple prevail as they used Sonys design .

Windows & Apple were inspired by Xerox (reverse engineering cough cough) and in my opinion Blackberry Apple HTC Samsung LG started with the functionality from Palm .

My first google maps went to 2.0 (v?) on my Palm Centro and that brought the wonderful innovation of seeing Your approximate location on the state of the art 320x320 pixel touch screen .

Kenny

It's all part of the game in the Big Tech world.

Back