Juniper SRX210H advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
I was cleaning up a pile of leftovers from job sites and came across a SRX210. Have new internet service coming tomorrow and was hoping to use this to secure the network and with my current procurve 1800-24g (and a 3com 4200g) and an already programmed WAP serve out network to my home. Procurve is not doing anything fancy at the moment either.
I was able to reset it to factory and ran through a basic config in the web setup such as setting a root password and creating a link that is one way from the "inside" to the "internet" and setting up DHCP.
Now when I put in into my existing home network it seems like it is preventing access the way it should be, but I'm concerned if there is anything else I should be setting up on this before entrusting it to do its business..
I'm familiar with accessing through the console as well, but all the resources for Juniper seem like 2nd year courses, so I'm hoping that someone can help out, or point to an actual better resource for entry level than I have come across.

I suppose that this might be paranoia (or noobishness) on my part as I'm currently using a linksys e3200 behind the DSL modem that was provided, but this new service was kinda vague as to what their equipment will be and I hesitate to just move over the e3200 without adding an additional device.

i think you need to show your config to make people comment on this

Heads up, the SRXs (insert most enterprise firewalls here) don't do UPnP. This may be A Good Thing or A Bad Thing depending on if you play multiplayer video games.

Your information is pretty vague:

"Now when I put in into my existing home network it seems like it is preventing access the way it should be, but I'm concerned if there is anything else I should be setting up on this before entrusting it to do its business.."

What are you trying to do?
What problems, exactly, are you having?

Well, I figure I should close this thread.
All I really wanted was this device to keep outside traffic out safely and I don't feel safe. Maybe I was, who knows.
Ended up pulling the juniper out of the loop and just using the linksys e3200 router.
I guess I'm just nervous because my internet comes in as just an ethernet cord and there is no device there like there used to be with my DSL (or forever ago cable service) providing that illusion of network segregation from the outside world.

The Linksys e3200 still has a basic firewall included, and should serve your purposes fine for home internet usage. So you can continue using that if you can't get the Juniper figured out.

The Linksys e3200 still has a basic firewall included, and should serve your purposes fine for home internet usage. So you can continue using that if you can't get the Juniper figured out.
Yeah, the Juniper will probably end up being sold on the forum or something. My friend said he could help me setup a pfsense box later if I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back