June 3 DNF Demo zomgwtfOFFICIAL THREAD!!!11

If the final game really is much better then the demo I still wont buy it until it hits the bargain bin. To jerk your fan/player base around like this is just too much bullcrap to just smile and nod at.

Gearbox are pretty much proven liars (sorry, I mean, excellent at advertising and PR) with the utter crap they spewed out about how Borderlands was a true PC game and it was a bold-faced port. Isn't surprising they'd ruin DNF and whore it out to the consoles.

I actually haven't played the demo yet but hearing the news is disappointing. However, I won't cancel my BoS pre-order mainly because, god damnit I waited 12 years for this and I'll have the damn collector's edition no matter what! :p Call me a sucker but at least it's finally out :)

That's exactly what they are hoping for, blind allegiance. I love Duke, but that demo doesn't hold a candle to DN3D. When you guys keep your pre-orders after shit like that gets released the developers aren't forced to change their ways.

Polished turd publishers.

Played the demo and don't see what the fuss is all about. It was decent and it's pretty much Duke Nukem. Everyone that liked DN3D will like this. Graphics are decent, action is decent too. Plus, this is a demo. There's much we don't see in it, like strippers :)

The only downside were the controls for the driving section (that are a mess) and the 2-weapon limit (which I thought was limited to the demo, but apparently is also part of the full game). Apart from that, I had fun and most definitely will have fun with the full game.

Gearbox are pretty much proven liars (sorry, I mean, excellent at advertising and PR) with the utter crap they spewed out about how Borderlands was a true PC game and it was a bold-faced port. Isn't surprising they'd ruin DNF and whore it out to the consoles.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

^^ Gotta at least give them SOME props for getting something like that off the ground not too long after the game hit the streets though. I'm not saying it excuses the larger picture but at least I can use that and pretty much get the PC version of Borderlands the way I want it to be. :)

That's exactly what they are hoping for, blind allegiance. I love Duke, but that demo doesn't hold a candle to DN3D. When you guys keep your pre-orders after shit like that gets released the developers aren't forced to change their ways.

Polished turd publishers.

I wish there was a concrete way to chart just how far blind loyalty is going to help the sales on this train wreck because especially here in the PC area I know 98 percent of the folks here easily wouldn't come within a mile of something like this normally but even console only gamers for the most part wouldn't either.

At least based on just the demo.

^^

That seems like bullshit peddled out to still get the money of people who didn't like the demo.

That was my initial reaction as well. It's not going to work for me. There's NO way in hell I'd preorder this thing if my life depended on it.

Let's look at it the other way, though: Imagine if this demo really is some old alpha or beta and somehow the final game is "appreciably" better, which I very strongly doubt.

How stupid and counterproductive, to say the least, was it to put that out there?

There's no question this demo is a net negative for the cause of getting people hyped to buy this game based on the feedback I've seen in two threads here and well abroad.

Last edited:
I watched a play through of the demo on youtube, but I knew years ago how this game would end up.
IMHO, Gearbox knew the DN franchise had money to be made and rushed this out the door, and it shows.

I've been following the game from the moment it was announce, and over the 12years they’ve switched
engines numerous times, and as far as I know, "almost" started from scratch each time. Add to that
3DRealms going debunked, someone knew there was still money to be made, & slapped something together.
It's a shame, and had it actually been released back in the early 2000's, it WOULD have been a good game.
Reminds me of the Soldier of Fortune franchise that got ruined, they took a great franchise and turned it
into a $2.99 bargain bin game at your local Walmart.

Regardless how long it's been, Gearbox really should have invested more time into this title, the graphics
look outdated, and the game play mediocre. I’ll still give it a go, but I’m already going in disappointed. Had
they actually put some real effort into this title, I’m sure they could have pumped something out Halflife 2 standards.

Actually, what will be great is when the full game is released is if the old people from 3drealsms come out and say how close they were and how much gearbox changed and F'ed up the original vision of the game.

Or, if the game is a huge success, they'll say it was 99% them, gearbox just debugged it or somethin...

Other than George Broussard going on a rage binge, I don't see either of those things happening.

It would be easy to pick a boring 10 minute section out of D3D and demo it. Does that mean the whole game sucks?

The DNF demo may of been a poor choice to get people excited about it, but i've seen a lot of other fun areas in gameplay vids. Plus, who knows how much is missing? After you fuel up the monster truck, there was no where to go. Big parts of this game are missing because ....... it's a demo!

This is your typical shooter, with the added fun factor of it taking place in the Duke universe, with all the Duke jokes (the demo has a few, notoriously the Half Life joke in the truck level) and Duke strippers (sadly not in the demo, but certainly in the full game).

So to that effect, and to those complaining about the demo, what more did you expect ?

This is your typical shooter, with the added fun factor of it taking place in the Duke universe, with all the Duke jokes (the demo has a few, notoriously the Half Life joke in the truck level) and Duke strippers (sadly not in the demo, but certainly in the full game).

So to that effect, and to those complaining about the demo, what more did you expect ?

seriously.
I guess people's nostalgia for the old Duke games got the best of them, putting this game on a pedestal that it could not possibly have reached

Something better than what I saw.

eon said:
I guess people's nostalgia for the old Duke games got the best of them, putting this game on a pedestal that it could not possibly have reached

Speaking only for myself: I simply was hoping for and expecting something that didn't/wouldn't suck. I was disappointed.

Yeah my bad I guess if I expected more than a mediocre shooter with Duke jokes.

Polished turds are still turds. DNF isn't even polished. It's just a turd.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

^^ Gotta at least give them SOME props for getting something like that off the ground not too long after the game hit the streets though. I'm not saying it excuses the larger picture but at least I can use that and pretty much get the PC version of Borderlands the way I want it to be. :)

Promoting (what I think is) a third-party tool to correct problems Gearbox should have corrected itself isn't something I consider prop-worthy. It's like saying "yeah this guy did it first so just use this, we have DLC to get out the door".

I say, let them make money off DNF, and then reinvest it in making Borderlands 2.

Definitely!

Promoting (what I think is) a third-party tool to correct problems Gearbox should have corrected itself isn't something I consider prop-worthy. It's like saying "yeah this guy did it first so just use this, we have DLC to get out the door".

Fair enough.

Ah well, I tried to be charitable. ;)

I'm not going to overreact to the poor quality of the demo. The blurry distance thing is what bothered me the most. I will go ahead and preorder. $45 is not so bad, at least it's not $59.99. I can remember paying $75 with tax included for N64 games like Goldeneye and Killer Instinct back in the 90s.

I'm not going to overreact to the poor quality of the demo. The blurry distance thing is what bothered me the most. I will go ahead and preorder. $45 is not so bad, at least it's not $59.99. I can remember paying $75 with tax included for N64 games like Goldeneye and Killer Instinct back in the 90s.

I'd take the N64 original version of Goldeneye at $50 right now, today, over what I saw and played in this demo.

wow... I see why there is so much "meh" feedback on this demo... it looks like crap and it doesn't play much better... the only redeeming factors being that it went right to 5760x1080 on my system with the right fov and the Duke factor. The blurry distance thing was really weird and I didn't like that at all.. Hopefully the release will have more "fun" in it to pick up some of the slack...

I'm hoping that the rumor of the demo being an early alpha/beta is true. I can't write the game off until release. I never felt comfortable pre-ordering the game, but I owe it to the 100's of hours spent playing all the mods and maps for DN3D to keep an eye on it.

I'm hoping that the rumor of the demo being an early alpha/beta is true. I can't write the game off until release. I never felt comfortable pre-ordering the game, but I owe it to the 100's of hours spent playing all the mods and maps for DN3D to keep an eye on it.

If it is true, I can't imagine how unfathomably stupid that would be on the part of Gearbox since it's clear the demo has not been a "positive."

How counterproductive and pointless of a business decision would that be?

We'll know easily inside of a week after the game streets what the story is. I'm easily content to wait or not even give a damn at all coming off this demo.

Last Duke game I played was Manhattan Project in 2002 and I liked it much better than this steaming pile they are passing off as DNF. :rolleyes:

Back