Jumping ship from M-Audio to another soundcard maker

Cyrilix

2[H]4U
For all those times where I've recommended M-Audio products to people based on drivers, I regret this. With XP, it wasn't terrible, and the user interface was lightweight, so I could somewhat appreciate it. With Vista, however, M-Audio just takes the cake. I've been sitting here waiting half a year for Vista 64-bit drivers, and they took more than half a year to release their Vista 32-bit drivers, with no support for 64-bit coming at all... As of a few days from now, this sound card will probably be sitting in one my parents' older computers or just shelved away somewhere.

All I can say is... GG, M-Audio, one of your most patient customers will not be returning.

I am completely bewildered as to why they don't update drivers AT ALL. I held back on the switch to Vista b/c I'm happy w/ XP and my Revo 7.1 card. VERY dissappointing that M-Audio is douching out on support for their great soundcard line in Vista. I share your frustration, man. Such a good company for other facets of music production like keyboards, monitors, controllers, etc. It's a shame they are ruining their good name.:(

Plinko, I was sort of surprised when the 5.1 got beta drivers before the 7.1 did. I was actually going to hold out a little longer, but in Vista, there was a Microsoft notification tool that more or less said that Microsoft had heard from M-Audio that they did not intend to support my device, so I gave up.

I just ordered an HT Omega Striker 7.1, so we'll see how that goes -- I'm crossing my fingers hoping that at least all the basics (i.e. basic digital output) will be up to snuff without any issues. :)

ya i held off on vista till i got sound card drivers also and auzentech has really come through with great x64 drivers for the x-plosion (yes its a suggestion for a new sound card)

ya i held off on vista till i got sound card drivers also and auzentech has really come through with great x64 drivers for the x-plosion (yes its a suggestion for a new sound card)

I considered the X-Plosion, but I wanted coaxial S/PDIF rather than just optical.

I considered the X-Plosion, but I wanted coaxial S/PDIF rather than just optical.

the x-plosion has both but for some odd reason i could never get the optical to output anything maybe its just an input. but the coax works great

the x-plosion has both but for some odd reason i could never get the optical to output anything maybe its just an input. but the coax works great

Interesting... I missed that somehow while I was looking for specs. I mainly compared the Sondigo Inferno, the Auzentech X-Plosion and the HT Omega Striker. :(

Isn't the M-Audio based on the VIA Envy chip (based on your sig)? If so, then you might be able to download generic drivers from VIA.

Isn't the M-Audio based on the VIA Envy chip (based on your sig)? If so, then you might be able to download generic drivers from VIA.

It uses the Envy24 GT chipset -- I may actually give this a try first.

@phide: That looks expensive.

Back