Jumping in with both feet: 2 systems, 2 loops

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
Over the summer I reconfigured my setup, incorporating my Linux and Windows systems into a Lian Li DK-05 desk. I carried over my Corsair h105 and Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240, but the DK-05 has room for 2x360mm radiators in the front, and 1x360mm + 1x480mm in the back. Since Corsair is taking their sweet time getting their 360mm AIO to market (that they demoed in June), I decided to take the plunge into custom loops for both systems. The last time I ran a custom loop was about 10 years ago, with a Koolance Exxos 2 on my e6300 with GTX 7900s in SLI.

In this picture are the following water cooling parts:

2 x XSPC AX360 radiators for the front of the DK-05
1 x XSPC EX360 radiatior for the back, on the Windows side
1 x XSPC EX480 radiator for the back, on the Linux side
2 x XSPC Raystorm Pro Intel CPU water blocks
2 x Alphacool Eisstation reservior with VPP pump
2 x 10ft Primochill Primoflex LRT tubing, 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD
16 x Phobya compression fitting w/ anti-kink spring
4 x Phobya compression fitting
4 x Phobya 45 degree compression fitting
4 sets (M & F) Koolance QD3 quick disconnects
1L Aqua Computer DP Ultra coolant, red
1L Aqua Computer DP Ultra coolant, blue

Attachments

• WCbits.jpg
    WCbits.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 66
On the Linux side is an ASUS P6X58D-E with a Xeon W3690 @ 4GHz and a 4GB GTX 770. On the Windows side is an Asrock Z170 Formula with a 6700K @ 4.8 GHz and a Gigabyte 1080 Ti Turbo. The only waterblock I could find available for the 1080 Ti Turbo was a Bykski from China, so I have to wait for the proverbial slow boat. It should arrive in about 10 days. I'll wait for that to do the Windows system, but I'm ready to go for the CPU loop on the Linux side.

I'm hoping to have the loop for the Linux system assembled, leak tested, and installed by the end of the weekend.

In excited to see your work! I've always thought dual systems were neat, but never had any practical use for one.

Leak testing with distilled H2O and Sysprep that came with the tubing. It took a whole quart to fill the loop. I'm glad I ordered 2 liters of each color of coolant.

Attachments

• Testing.jpg
    Testing.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 59
First loop done. I could have measured tubing better. The first run from the pump to the rear radiator is too long, and the bit from the CPU to the front radiator touches the glass desktop. The BIOS doesn't have very sophisticated fan control, but I have the fans set to "silent" and there's a low "whoosh" from the airflow. I'm using the Lian Li fans that came with the desk. There might be a fan upgrade in the near future, but 7 good, quiet 120mm fans won't be cheap.

Attachments

• BlueDone.jpg
    BlueDone.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 58
looks good. was confused as to what you had it in until I actually read you post. I saw Pic, I clicked!
try speedfan to give you better control. I just had this issue with a msi z97 system, very limited fan control based on "temp zones". example; 50-60c gives you x% with only four "zones", speedfan did the trick. search jayztwocents for a good setup vid if you haven't used it before.

First loop done. I could have measured tubing better. The first run from the pump to the rear radiator is too long, and the bit from the CPU to the front radiator touches the glass desktop. The BIOS doesn't have very sophisticated fan control, but I have the fans set to "silent" and there's a low "whoosh" from the airflow. I'm using the Lian Li fans that came with the desk. There might be a fan upgrade in the near future, but 7 good, quiet 120mm fans won't be cheap.
Looks nice! How's that Eisstation treating you? I like the look of those things, but just imagine them sucking air. Maybe I don't have a good grasp on their actual size.

The Eisstation is bigger than I thought it would be. I have about 7 inches of clearance and I wanted to mount the reservoirs vertically to have adequate space for 2 of them. The Eisstation is by far the most economical pump/res combo that fit. I set the pump speed to 3 of 5 and I can't hear the pump at all.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good Linux equivalent to Speedfan. The only thing I'm finding is fancontrol from the command line. Fancontrol requires a config file that can be generated by pwmconfig. Pwmconfig can't find any "pwm-capable sensor modules installed". The Lian Li fans have 3 pin connectors, and they are running off a couple of powered fan hubs. I might have to suck it up and at least replace the 3 fans in front.

Attachments

• Eisstation.jpg
    Eisstation.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 71
The slow boat has docked. Byksi GPU block arrived today from China. Ordered Dec 6.

Unfortunately, I won't get to play with it until after Christmas.

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 28
Back