jump to 64bit - a couple of questions

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
i am currently putting together my opteron system and would really like to give xp 64 a spin - mainly because softimage XSI is now fully 64bit. problem is: i am currently using AVG as a free anti-virus program along with zonealarm as a firewall. both are not 64bit ready, according to their webpages. what other free programs could i use to substitute these? any idea? getting a 64 OS and buy a virusscanner / firewall is over budget, though...

Actually AVG 7.1 is now compatible with XP64, I am using it right now with the firewall option. The firewall runs in 32-bit mode though.

Linky

Good luck!

daemon tools now supports x64...which is good for alot of people.

Vampiregabriel said:
Actually AVG 7.1 is now compatible with XP64, I am using it right now with the firewall option. The firewall runs in 32-bit mode though.

Linky

Good luck!

but only the pro version, not the free one AFAIK (see here) :confused:
I know AVAST supports 64bit in their free home edition, but that is one crappy virus scanner if i remember correctly...

thanks a lot for the input so far, guys

ah well, I'll get a copy of NOD32 and be done with it. AFAIK that is a pretty good scanner, right? How about Zonealarm - can I still use the 32bit version under XP64?

I'm using Avast here. I bought the Pro version and I like it a lot, especially compared to McAfee or Nortons!

For firewall I have a router and Windows firewall.

I'm running NOD32 at the moment and I got to say it's the best antivirus program so far. AVG, Norton, McAfee and Panda was not as good imo. I especially like the AMON and IMON scanner components.

I've used Avast and AVG (trial) and I really can't choose one over the other, but since Avast is free I'll keep it for now

NOD32 is pretty nice.

Zonealarm is just a resource hog. I use a router, but i would think windows firewall would be a fine replacement for zonealarm.

Back