jump on the i5-760 now or wait?

my current setup is an hp c2d 1.83ghz laptop with shitty intel graphics that doesnt even support openGL 2.0. I see theres an i5-760 going on sale for $174.99... should jump on it? Should I wait until the sandy bridge series come out and the i5 prices will drop even more?

help me decide... thanks

Based on my experience of the past several years, the prices of Intel's CPUs don't drop as they get replaced. Regrettably. The motherboards do tend to get cheaper, however.

The i5 prices most likely won't drop immediately after the release of sandy bridge. Give it a little while and they will, but even then it won't be very drastic. I'm guessing that until they decide to completely phase it out (which won't happen for a while, as the p55 chipset offers great bang-for-your-buck for a budget pc), prices won't see a huge dip.

If you're set on an i5 760, $175 (shipped) is a GREAT price

Microcenter has I7 950 for 200 dollars. But that could get costly with motherboard lol

my current setup is an hp c2d 1.83ghz laptop with shitty intel graphics that doesnt even support openGL 2.0. I see theres an i5-760 going on sale for $174.99... should jump on it? Should I wait until the sandy bridge series come out and the i5 prices will drop even more?

help me decide... thanks

Well since your looking at a total system build from the ground up, the BF price on the i5-760 combined with some good mobo, cpu cooler and DDR3 ram deals is an excellant choice and will come in under $400.00. Of course if you need a case, hard drive, PSU, etc, etc the price goes up :D

Really depends,the rule has always been, upgrade as far as you can afford to.

Considering that your current setup is a laptop.
You need an entire build, I would wait for sandy bridge.
You could in the mean time pick up the things you will need as they go on sale, case, psu, ram, dvdrw.. etc.

Considering that your current setup is a laptop.
You need an entire build, I would wait for sandy bridge.
You could in the mean time pick up the things you will need as they go on sale, case, psu, ram, dvdrw.. etc.

+1 Good advise.

Back