Jumbo Frames

PHUNBALL

Gawd
Are they appropriate for every situation? Are there situations where Jumbo Frames would cause more harm than good? For Example, in a streaming media environment?

Unless every device on the network segment supports them, chances are it's going to do more harm than good.

sandmanx said:
Unless every device on the network segment supports them, chances are it's going to do more harm than good.

That is not an issue as it is a server farm and all of the devices have support for Jumbo Frames, I was thinking more from an application standpoint, are there any applications that may not function properly???

sandmanx said:

Why would that be the case when a switch can do jumbo frames per port? It doesn't flood anything except the backplane, which I would hope could handle it.

typhoon43 said:
Why would that be the case when a switch can do jumbo frames per port? It doesn't flood anything except the backplane, which I would hope could handle it.

Sure, as long as the switch supports it. The OP didn't mention anything about what type of network equipment he has/planning to buy.

PHUNBALL said:
That is not an issue as it is a server farm and all of the devices have support for Jumbo Frames, I was thinking more from an application standpoint, are there any applications that may not function properly???

I don't see why an app would care, as it's all taken care of at lower levels than the app is running anyways.

sandmanx said:
I don't see why an app would care, as it's all taken care of at lower levels than the app is running anyways.

Because I was reading a white paper regarding Multimedia and large frames. It stated that using large frames with applications that are sensitive to burst drops, delay jitter, etc. could be problematic (not likely, but it could happen)...

Back