July NPD sales.

Karafias

Limp Gawd
So, the results are now in. Some interesting tibits:

The Wii with with 425k units sold beat out the DS at 405k units.

The PS3 sales doubled after the price cut, but still fell short of of 360 sales.

Total industry sales up 37% over the same perdiod last year. Hardware sales up 77.4%.

Guitar hero 2 in various forms took over 3 of the top-10 best selling games.

Source: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17247

cardancenin2.gif

Lmao at the gifs. I'm going to be more interested in the August NPD numbers though, just to see how much BioShock sold.

That said, the DS still fared quite well with 405K units sold. But it was the Wii, not the DS, that took top honors with 425K units. The news is encouraging for Sony as well, as the PS3 finally got over the 100K hump with 159K units sold, hot on the heels of the 360 which sold just 170K. Meanwhile, Sony's other platforms continued to put up respectable numbers – the PS2 sold another 222K and the PSP sold 214K. At the bottom of the list, the old GBA sold 87K units.

I think people are just skipping the 360/PS3 and either getting a PS2 or a Wii based on the numbers. You would think by now the 360 would be beating the PS2 at the very least. It's been out almost 2 years.

I'm actually surprised that PS3 in fact *didn't* catch or pass 360 for the month, given how many people bought the "Price drop" swindle.

Still, WTF is up with Wii? Best month yet in freaking *July*, with not a single major release? Whipping the DS by a little? And between the two outselling all other consoles *combined*? And now surpassing 360 in total installed base?

Jesus, a year and a half ago Nintendo was "teh d00med", now they're #1 again. Who'd have thunk it? :p

I think people are just skipping the 360/PS3 and either getting a PS2 or a Wii based on the numbers. You would think by now the 360 would be beating the PS2 at the very least. It's been out almost 2 years.

Still, WTF is up with Wii? Best month yet in freaking *July*, with not a single major release? Whipping the DS by a little? And between the two outselling all other consoles *combined*? And now surpassing 360 in total installed base?

It's all about price. Well, and with the PS2 its all about a super low price and very large library.

I'm actually surprised that PS3 in fact *didn't* catch or pass 360 for the month, given how many people bought the "Price drop" swindle.

Jesus, a year and a half ago Nintendo was "teh d00med", now they're #1 again. Who'd have thunk it? :p

People are stupid, Wii is all fun and good when you play it at your friends house A LITTLE but once you own one for awhile you realize its a novelty and a cheap one at that(still haven't played mine since easter)

I bet the attach rates on the Wii are HORRIBLE compared to the Xbox 360.

People are stupid, Wii is all fun and good when you play it at your friends house A LITTLE but once you own one for awhile you realize its a novelty and a cheap one at that(still haven't played mine since easter)

The last npd data from june had the 360 with something like twice the ps3's and wii's attach rate.

I'm also interested to see the increase in sales for the xbox360 during August. The xbox360 price drop, added HDMI feature, and BioShock release (a highly rated game) should have a nice boost to sales numbers.

I'm reckoning about 315k for the 360 in August, 130k for the PS3 and 390k for the Wii.

The Wii is hard to guess though as until the supply shortage is over completely the figures seem to fluctuate a lot.

I'm reckoning about 315k for the 360 in August, 130k for the PS3 and 390k for the Wii.

The Wii is hard to guess though as until the supply shortage is over completely the figures seem to fluctuate a lot.

You reckon? The 360 only sold 170K last month.

So all sales will drop dramatically except the 360.

LOL. OK buddy. :p

Having owned one since launch day, I'll say that while I understand your sentiment, you're full of shit. It's not a novelty at all, it's actually so reminiscent of PS2 it's not even funny (ie, it's a good system with a fuckton of shovelware and a handful of good titles, thanks to lazy jerkoff developers and publishers who had no foresight whatsoever).

I actually sold my 360 because the piece of trash kept *breaking* over and over and over again. Worst system I've EVER owned. I do plan to get one once I KNOW the 65nm versions are confirmed in the wild, or possibly if I can get one on the *insane* cheap, but that's about it.

360=great software, dog shit hardware.

Wii=great hardware, mediocre software.

This time next year, the software will be an entirely different story for Wii. Will the hardware for 360? I sincerely hope so, because I really did want MS to do well this gen, but facts are facts: Microsoft dropped the ball *bad* with 360.

Wow, those gifs just made milk come out my nose.
Thanks...

Hilarious. Now, where is a napkin?

So the 360 is just going to jump up from 170K to 315K for no apparent reason? It didn't even sell that many in the whole world in July, much less in N. America alone.

You reckon? The 360 only sold 170K last month.

So all sales will drop dramatically except the 360.

LOL. OK buddy. :p
Price drop + madden + bioshock.

Retailers have been reporting sales more than doubling. PS3 will settle back down to lower numbers after price drop month as all consoles do initially after their price drop but it wont go back under 100k again. Wii numbers I have no idea about as I said in my last post.

Time will tell, but I'm usually not far off.

[Edit - I don't know if the August reporting period is 4 or 5 weeks which will affect things a bit. June was 5 weeks, July was 4 weeks so I think August is going to be 4 weeks too]

THIS.

Like some of us were saying before it came out....NOVELTY.

THIS.

Novelty it may be, but it's novelty with massive word of mouth publicity... and that sells. They can still redeem the console with SSBM, Mario Galaxy and Metroid.

(To remind everyone I don't own any of these consoles yet, but play on all three)

metroid is coming out this tuesday. This game will showcase the wii's power

fact: wii owns all in sales

fact: at the 360's weakest moment the ps3 still failed to beat it in sales.

we all thought it was going to be 360, wii, then ps3 looks like it will be wii, 360, then ps3...

yes i have had all 3 systems and i wish i had kept the wii and sold this ps3, the damn thing has no games for it and i never touch it. now i want to purchase a wii again but there are none anywhere. :(

edit: i know there are games for the ps3 but i meant exclusives worth buying, i normally buy multi platform titles on the 360...

I personally know 7 people that bought multiple 360 because they got sick of waiting on their refurb replacement. I know there are a tonne more too, as every forum has several people doing so. I wonder how many 360 sales are duplicates.

I personally know 7 people that bought multiple 360 because they got sick of waiting on their refurb replacement. I know there are a tonne more too, as every forum has several people doing so. I wonder how many 360 sales are duplicates.

anyone who spends 400 bucks because they can't wait 2 weeks has more money than brains. In other words they're idiots.

When will the Wii insanity end? I don't understand why people are eating this thing up.

Think New Kids on the Block, N'Sync, and the Backstreet Boys. Popular mass appeal drivel. The wii is the boyband of gaming.

Think New Kids on the Block, N'Sync, and the Backstreet Boys. Popular mass appeal drivel. The wii is the boyband of gaming.

You are so wrong its not funny.
for 249$ you get the console and a free pack in game, which is what causing all the sales.
If the packin game was just bowling, it would still be selling the way it is.

I live in fort worth, cowboy central.
People I work with do not play video games. But apparently 6 different cowboys decided that it would be fun to drink and bowl at home with the family. So they all got wii's. And still play it regularly.

I, on the other hand, have 72 hours on Zelda (still have not beat it), just got to the end of Resident Evil 4, and still bowl with the family whenever, cause you know..... that is still fun.

Nice how you hate on something you dont understand. Whatever. Your loss.

You are so wrong its not funny.
for 249$ you get the console and a free pack in game, which is what causing all the sales.
If the packin game was just bowling, it would still be selling the way it is.

I live in fort worth, cowboy central.
People I work with do not play video games. But apparently 6 different cowboys decided that it would be fun to drink and bowl at home with the family. So they all got wii's. And still play it regularly.

I, on the other hand, have 72 hours on Zelda (still have not beat it), just got to the end of Resident Evil 4, and still bowl with the family whenever, cause you know..... that is still fun.

Nice how you hate on something you dont understand. Whatever. Your loss.

All you "proved" is that you like it. Thanks for sharing your opinon in the same way I shared mine. Both of those games you mentioned were owned at one point, and beaten by me. On my gamecube. Which is exactly why the wii is shite. But thanks for playing.

I think alot of people are stunned at the success the Wii is having. I own one myself & can only sit there & say, how the fuck is this shit selling so well? Don't get me wrong, it's a "good" system even If I'm really stretching that word out. It's very innovative & what I believe is its main selling point, cheap. Even with the price however, I thought I would never see the day where a console with very mediocre software outsell another console with excellent software. It does leave one scratching there head. The DS is great so I expect those kinds of numbers, the Wii, the success of that will remain a mystery to me.

THIS.

I also remember you people saying something like "You'll be able to go into a store one month after launch and pick one up EASILY."

How'd that turn out?

See my post above... (or on the last page as may be the case)

Madden is not a system seller. It sells to the userbase.

Bioshock will most likely go on to sell over a million copies, but it certainly isn't going to cause an 85% increase in sales, especially considering that it will only be available for the last week of August, and the price drop didn't really have a significant impact on 360 sales last week.

Madden is not a system seller. It sells to the userbase.

Bioshock will most likely go on to sell over a million copies, but it certainly isn't going to cause an 85% increase in sales, especially considering that it will only be available for the last week of August, and the price drop didn't really have a significant impact on 360 sales last week.

I disagree, but there's little else I can say until we get the figures in a month. I don't know where you're getting this "the price drop didn't really have a significant impact on 360 sales last week" from though... as we don't have any data for what the price drop has or hasn't done.

I think alot of people are stunned at the success the Wii is having. I own one myself & can only sit there & say, how the fuck is this shit selling so well? Don't get me wrong, it's a "good" system even If I'm really stretching that word out. It's very innovative & what I believe is its main selling point, cheap. Even with the price however, I thought I would never see the day where a console with very mediocre software outsell another console with excellent software. It does leave one scratching there head. The DS is great so I expect those kinds of numbers, the Wii, the success of that will remain a mystery to me.

What are you talking about? If PRICE POINT were the answer, Gamecube would have been #1 *all* last generation. Further, you never thought you'd see the day when a console with a mediocre software library would outsell another with excellent software? HELLO, PS2 has the most WEAK software library of any console *ever*. Probably 80% of the thing's lineup is shovelware *trash*, with the remaining 20% being, let's face it, pure gold. The bottom line is, though, that the bulk of PS2 software sucks ass, yet it sold like mad last gen. Why? Because people like having a lot of choice, even if those choices do mostly suck.

What made Wii sell well at the start is the innovative gameplay. What keeps it moving is word of mouth from the casuals, who are eating it up. What will make it a system for even the hardcore is simply *time*. The exclusives are coming, with more in development for Wii than bother PS3 and 360 *combined*.

I agree that it would be nice if Wii had better graphics capabilities, but as PS2 and PS1 BOTH proved before it, with the weakest hardware of their generations, it's not about the graphics, it's about having a wide variety of *choices* at a price people are willing to pay. If it were all about the horsepower Xeons would outsell regular Pentiums/core/core2's, opterons would outsell Athlon64's, and Geforce ultra's would outsell the GT's, GS's and other lower end variants. Bottom line: they don't. There's a line at which the best value proposition for the money presents itself, and while 360 is getting closer to that line (and yes, they DO have the best software lineup, let's not kid ourselves), the PS3 is nowhere near it and won't be any time soon.

See my post above... (or on the last page as may be the case)

I remember you making an equally ridiculous prediction last month about ps3 sales that was as spectacularly wrong as this one promises to be.

Back