Judge: Video Game Lawsuit Can Proceed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Something tells me that this is not what GameStop wanted to hear.

This week, a federal judge in Camden decided the three customers have a right to sue the company, which they accuse of concealing that the cost of used games did not include downloads provided with new games. In two of the cases, it cost five cents more to buy the used product.

How does a place like Gamestop stay in business? They overcharge for new games so anything to get for selling your old stuff STILL doesn't cover the difference, and buying the product new online saves you insane amounts by comparison.. W...T...F...?

Why do people still go there?

I think, like myself, too many of us stay in "The Cave". I would never shop at Gamestop, but it is nice to go out and support local business.....:) It costs more but you can also meet hot chicks!

I think, like myself, too many of us stay in "The Cave". I would never shop at Gamestop, but it is nice to go out and support local business.....:) It costs more but you can also meet hot chicks!

What GS are you going to that has these women? All we have around here are friggin' beasts that'd scare the shit out of Moby Dick itself.

Of course there is an even easier solution to this ... buy PC games instead ... Bahahaha :D

while we should all rightfully hate on GS for this, Gamestop could turn this around in their favor. Redirect the hate to the publishers who do "day one DLC" for new games only, and 1 time game passes and all that crap that hurts used sales.

I don't have any love for GS, but these "online access fees" hurt everyone who wants to sell something.

Imagine your buddy was going to buy a book, and you say "i have that book, I will sell you mine" but because your buddy isn't the first owner, the ending is extra...you have to discount your book to accommodate (which in the case with GS, they did not) so your right to resell, while present, is impacted.

I think they meant buying the used game + the cost of the DLC that's included for free for the first owner of the game. So why bother with used?

Sorry but I don't think you should be able to sue GS simply because your a fucking idiot.

I have to agree... it's a bit sad that I'm actually siding with GameStop. If it were about Gamestop taking away things that are supposed to be free with a copy of the game. Like a game is supposed to come with another game, but was taken away (GS did do that, iirc). But this..... this is just retarded.

I think they meant buying the used game + the cost of the DLC that's included for free for the first owner of the game. So why bother with used?

This. Which is absolute bullshit and doesn't bode well for Gamestop.

But ya know, fucking idiots can just fail at reading comprehension and thought processes and miss that fine little point.

But ya know, fucking idiots can just fail at reading comprehension and thought processes and miss that fine little point.

Welcome to the internet Sir.

There does come a point in time though were you shouldn't have to do research on EVERYTHING you buy. Do you read every food package to make sure that the fine print doesn't say that they actually didn't put anything into the bag that is really food but instead filled it with some kind of toxic slime? Same thing here, I think it is semi justifiable for the average person to not have to do research into the difference between a used game and a new game every time they want to buy one. If it is being pushed as being a cheaper way to own the game and all content, I think they should be able to accept that it is what they are being told it is. Now yes people should know that a code won't work twice if that is needed, but some times you don't know if the content is just on the disc or require s code. Black Ops 2 said on the box it includes a bonus map. no where does it say that it give you a code for said map. Average person shouldn't have to do online and do research to find out how that map is included. I wouldn't see where it would be wrong for a sticker to have to be put on there telling you bonus material not included in used copy.

To me it seems that they're crying over spilled milk. GS does usually overcharge for used games, but if i bought a game for 1/2 of the original cost than i'd still be happy. I'd either live without the extra "free" content or fork over another 2-3 dollars. I still paid significantly less than full price which is the whole point of buying used games/stuff.

Bah, Gamestop sucks People know it sucks, they complain about it and yet....they still shop there.

I agree. You shouldn't be able to sue a company because you are a fucking idiot.

Exavior - I understand your logic, but I think a lot of us research products before buying them. Is it required, no. Then again, you don't see us filing lawsuits either.

It would be a different matter if they were selling used games as new, but that's not the case here.

If you are dumb enough to pay more for a used game than a new one.....that's on you - not the seller.

Just like the customers who bought the used game and are now suing because they couldn't put 2 and 2 together before purchasing the game.

Too often when I went to a Gamestop, the "insurance" they try to see puts the cost of a used game higher than a new one anyways. Plus there was all the times I had to drive back and forth because the disk didn't work.
No thanks, I'll buy new.
Gamestop exists for kids that don't have jobs and get tired of the games they've already beat where they can trade in 3 used for a "new" used game.
Do what we did as kids for cash, get a paper route... Ooops! Guess that dead media thing doesn't hire anymore does it?

To me it seems that they're crying over spilled milk. GS does usually overcharge for used games, but if i bought a game for 1/2 of the original cost than i'd still be happy. I'd either live without the extra "free" content or fork over another 2-3 dollars. I still paid significantly less than full price which is the whole point of buying used games/stuff.

The point here is that isn't the case. You pay a few $$ less for newer games that you buy used then by the time you buy the extra content you are paying as much if not more. And remember some of this "free" content might be the ability to play multiplayer in a game. So not always something you can or want to go without.

If you get used games for half the cost of new then good for you. The few times I have went in there it was more of new game is $59.95 and used is $54.95 for a newer title. For slightly older titles might have been $49.95 and the new was $59.95. Even noticed a few where when game of the year editions come out the used copies of the orginal releases where more than the game of the year ones new. Only time I have gotten a game from there that was 1/2 the normal retail price is when it is a few years after release.

Back