Judge Skewers Oracle Attorney For Revealing Google, Apple Trade Secrets

HardOCP News

[H] News
You would think that a high-dollar attorney working for Oracle would know better than to pull a stunt like this. Google is asking for sanctions against the attorney but no ruling has been made yet. All I can say is that I wouldn't want to be in that lawyers shoes right now. :eek:

The confidential information included financial figures stating that Google generated $31 billion in revenue and $22 billion in profits from the Android operating system in the wake of its 2008 debut. The Oracle attorney, Annette Hurst, also revealed another trade secret: Google paid Apple $1 billion in 2014 to include Google search on iPhones.

Google paying Apple $1 billion in 2014 to include Google search on iPhones; that's no secret. I remember reading about it, I think, in Computerworld.

Google lawyer: "We made no money off of Java's API, which means it falls into the category of 'fair use'."
Oracle lawyer: "Base on Google's financial figures..."
Google lawyer: "Those are strictly confidential trade secrets."

Law....

Google lawyer: "We made no money off of Java's API, which means it falls into the category of 'fair use'."

Law....

Yeap

I actually had to go look up the definition of trade secret as I didn't think they were using it correctly here. I am use to hearing trade secret used to describe a process or method used to create something. So like the formula to make Coke, the 11 herbs and spices of KFC, special process to make certain brands of glass.... Never heard it used to refer to how much profit a company made or how much licensing fees were. I was trying to categorize that as a separate type of confidential piece of information but I guess that isn't actually the case. While the dictionary definition might just say the method or tools used to create something, it does appear that the legal definition does include everything from how you market said product and how much of a profit margin you have on it.

Law....
So, the law allows you TO LIE like a rat bastard under the "trade secret" defense?

The information was protected by court order, this idiot spewed them in open court, it's straightforward as it gets.

Back