Judge Says Uber May Have Engaged In Criminal Conduct

HardOCP News

[H] News
Laws? What laws? If we have learned anything from Uber by now it is that the company does whatever the hell it wants and then asks permission later (usually after being compelled by the courts).

A federal judge on Monday banned Uber Technologies Inc and its Chief Executive Travis Kalanick from using information from a background check on a passenger bringing a price-fixing lawsuit, saying the investigative firm conducting the probe may have engaged in criminal conduct. "The court finds perfectly appropriate an order enjoining defendants from making use of the fruits of their own troubling conduct," Rakoff wrote. "The court cannot help but be troubled by this whole dismal incident."

Seems to be the case but who knows if Uber didn't tell the investigative firm to "do whatever it takes" to find out information about the person who filed the lawsuit.

Seems to be the case but who knows if Uber didn't tell the investigative firm to "do whatever it takes" to find out information about the person who filed the lawsuit.

Obviously the intent by Uber was to dig up dirt on this plaintiff. So it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't become a little dirty themselves doing so.

So the investigative firm broke the law, not Uber?
The judge made a comment to the effect that Uber showed poor judgement in hiring the firm to begin with. Also, when you send someone digging exclusively for dirt in order to discredit them, it is highly likely you might have told the firm to use "any means necessary". Uber's rationale for using the firm that this lawsuit presented a threat to their drivers and CEO seemed a little contrived as well.

Not sure how I really feel about it. I mean, they hired someone, and the someone did something illegal. So it's not them... but if you hire an assassin.... but then again, what if you owned a moving company that ship 10 ton boxes over seas and told the guy working under to do whatever it takes to get the boxes on the ship, and he decides the best way to do so is use random people's heads to roll over to move it. >_>

Not sure how I really feel about it. I mean, they hired someone, and the someone did something illegal. So it's not them... but if you hire an assassin.... but then again, what if you owned a moving company that ship 10 ton boxes over seas and told the guy working under to do whatever it takes to get the boxes on the ship, and he decides the best way to do so is use random people's heads to roll over to move it. >_>

Quite clearly that man is a sociopath. You should always start with your enemies first, then in-laws, and finally random people - preferably those in nursing homes, as they won't put up much of a fight.

Well, "do whatever is needed" can be taken a lot of different ways, by different people.

Uber is one of those mysteries in my mind why it haven't been stopped yet. There is zero safety for the consumer, including in accidents. Its also social wage dumping and tends to include tax fraud.

Back