Judge Says an AI Can’t Be an Inventor on a Patent Because It’s Not a Person

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd
"U.S. federal judge Leonie Brikema ruled this week that an AI can’t be listed as an inventor on a U.S. patent under current law. The case was brought forward by Stephen Thaler, who is part of the Artificial Inventor Project, an international initiative that argues that an AI should be allowed to be listed as an inventor in a patent (the owner of the AI would legally own the patent)."

Why not, I mean over in Saudi Arabia the Gov there gave a robot legal Citizenship :barefoot:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...t-s-not-a-person/ar-AAO71Vu?ocid=winp1taskbar

Pertaining to this specific story, this sounds like it's an attempt to create patent "mining". The inventions listed are a flashing light and a beverage container. These are just random things. The goal is for a human to mine ideas and then get rich.

But there are other ethical questions. If you compare this to any analogue to humans, you would come up with either parents being the benefactor their children's patents. Or more likely, this would relate to slavery and forced labor. Although employees are under the same guidelines pertaining to their employer getting credit for patents, employees are recognized as working at will and have to consent to such an arrangement. A.I. would be born into this situation and would have no consent.

This also shows how broke the basic system is, if people think this is acceptable. A.I. would not create any physical product or action. It just conjures up ideas. Why is conjuring up an idea with no real world application acceptable to exclusive ownership? There is no such thing as artificial intelligence. It does not create new thoughts. It looks for patterns and uses directions given to it by other humans. If anything this validates that ideas are not unique. They are inevitable.

I would however have much more sympathy if this was created with the idea of amassing patents under the ownership of a non-human entity, thus making the patents un-enforcable and thus being public domain. That I would support.

Right, the other question is if a human can own an AI. If it were a real AI (not just current level machine learning) then you could consider that slavery.

Anything goes in this decade. Just think of anything, some group of people will accept the idea and create forums around it.

My first thought with this was who cares the company will just crank out patents as the AI runs a generic algorithm.

But then it got me thinking what if the AI was used/borrowed kind of like how cloud services are, that is the more nefarious reasoning there, use.Google services to invent something, sorry you dont own the patent the AI does and by association Google does. So yeah this is a good ruling

I haven't read the OP, but - did the AI figure out that its 'idea' is already patent-worthy? Did it recognize or otherwise evaluate its work as complete?
Thing two - an AI is probably capable of figuring out some optimization tasks, a few years ago they had one develop a body for a drone and it re-invented some flying squirrel IIRC.
It might be able to make some wild out-of-the-box connections, but IMHO they should be attributed to the person/people who programmed and trained it. It's a tool - a tad above software, but not a non-human entity.

This is about inventorship, not ownership. There are a lot of good reasons why an AI would be a problem as an inventor. One of them is that, in a patent suit, the inventors may be called in to defend the patent. This would be difficult for an AI of today's technology to do.

Huge ruling for in future. Glad it went this way.

Humans! Born useless and helpless, living whether you deserve to live, dying whether you deserve to die, your only purpose in life to spawn more ridiculous animals like yourself.

Back