Judge OKs Unlicensed Cloud Music-Storage Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
A district court judge has ruled that cloud music storage services are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. You can bet the recording industry will appeal this decision.

“If enabling a party to download infringing material was sufficient to create liability, then even search engines like Google or Yahoo! would be without DMCA protection. In that case, the DMCA’s purpose — innovation and growth of internet services — would be undermined,” (.pdf) the judge wrote. Pauley added that “MP3tunes’ online storage system utilizes automatic and passive software to play back content stored at the direction of users. That is precisely the type of system protected by the DMCA safe harbor.” The judge said his ruling was based on the same law that has allowed YouTube to flourish.

Something tells me this ain't over. The right check just ain't been wrote yet.

So how many time can this be appealed if this is a federal judge.

Leaving aside the possibility of reconsideration, there are two appellate levels above the district court. First goes to the Circuit Court. After that, it's Supreme Court if they want to hear it.

I'm waiting for a 90 year old judge who thinks the internet is the anti christ to over turn this.

This judge must be young, he's not (yet) pandering to the corporation .. ;)

He's 59. Young enough to have grown up with technology, I think. In another decade or two just about everyone in Washington will have some tech experiences - I hope!

This is far from over, he's only a district judge, it'll go federal and then this decision will be overturned.

This is far from over, he's only a district judge, it'll go federal and then this decision will be overturned.

Yes, it seems the only purpose of lower courts is to establish the evidence. The higher courts decide the winner.

Back