JU6700 vs JU7500. Which is best as a budget PC Monitor.

SuperMar1o

n00b
So, let's keep this short and sweet. I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB and want to get a 40" 4K TV to replace my current 3 24" monitor array. I do light 3D design (C4D), lots of Photoshop, surfing and gaming (FO4, BO3 and GTAV currently). Apparently the consensus is that the Samsung TV line is by far the best monitor replacement and I am looking at the JU6700 and the JU7500. Rtings.com says that "If you don't watch movies, there's not much reason to pay extra for the Samsung JU7500" and my monitor will rarely, if ever, be used for watching movies.

I only really need 40" and while bigger is better, I am not loaded right now so cheaper is better without sacrificing usability. Also if necessary I can keep one of my IPS monitors as a second screen for Photoshopping if color accuracy is an issue. So, lay it on me. What should I be dropping my cash on this black friday? Open to suggestions that aren't either of those two as well if the price is right and the usability is high as a monitor.

I think you kinda answered your own question. Since you don't watch movies and 3d doesn't work for monitor use then you're left with the JU6700. one might be tempted by the faster response times of the display to obtain less ghosting but from what I've read that doesn't help in PC mode either. Both have 8 bit panels so neither have a leg up there. I think unless you plan on changing your mind about movie watching I'd go with the JU6700 and save the extra scratch for something else. Unless of course you are willing to step up to the big boys (JS8500/JS9000) but that's gonna run you double the price of a JU6700 and I'm not sure it's worth that much more. Yeah 10 bit and HDR are nice, but what you're doing it won't help much.

Let us know what you decide :)

Yeah, I really would love the "big boys" but even the $800+ price tags make me cringe so I am pretty sure that's a no-go. That note about the response time was exactly the type of things I was hoping to have brought up here, I have no real clue about these so that's great to know also yeah 10bit would be nice but not for 2-3x. If anyone else has any more opinions or thoughts PLEASE post them!

The big question is do I hope the prices go down more and wait or buy now, enjoy the low price and hope that if the prices go down that Amazon will refund...

I'm biased because it's what I have but my vote is for the 7500 for the slightly faster response time and 3D capabilities. The other thing I'd like to throw out there is that I started with a 48" because there were no 40"s in stock, returned it for a 40" when they got them in stock, then returned it again for the 48" because in some cases bigger is better. :D

I'm biased because it's what I have but my vote is for the 7500 for the slightly faster response time and 3D capabilities. The other thing I'd like to throw out there is that I started with a 48" because there were no 40"s in stock, returned it for a 40" when they got them in stock, then returned it again for the 48" because in some cases bigger is better. :D

Could you be more specific on why you got the 48"? From what I can tell a 40" is essentially 3 24" monitors vertical, side by side with no bevel. Which is about exactly what I want, is there a specific reason you went with a 48" over a 40"?

Also damnit DarkStar02, you got me re-considering the JU7500 because of that response time difference,(JU6700@17.9ms vs the JU7500@8.9ms). How much of a difference do you think I will notice when I almost never play competitive online games? The closest I would come to that is BF4 and 75% of the time I am a sniper anyways. I do play FO4, GTAV and Dying light but mainly LAN/SP games. I do lots of photoshop and 3D work however those are not really places where I should notice it. idk.

I don't want to get something I will hate and if you guys who own them tell me that it's 100% worth the upgrade I will find the extra money, I am just trying to be frugal with the money and buy what I need, not whatever is "cool".

I copied this from another thread I posted in, but I think it addresses some of your questions:

I think I am about to pull the trigger on the 48" JU7500. The main differences between the 6700 and 7500 is a semi-glossy vs glossy (respectively) screen. The JU7500 is better at reducing reflections.

The 7500 is marginally better in almost every metric, but not so much that it would be perceptible to the human eye. Plus 3D, which would not be practical to use for gaming due to input lag. Also less motion blur in some use cases.

I recommend you do a side-by-side comparison at http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

I went to best buy and compared 40" vs 48" screens. At normal desk sitting distance 40" is completely within my field of view. 48" was just at the border of my field of view. Because of that 48" felt more immersive. Very slight head turning might be required with a 48" in desktop and productivity settings. In gaming I will be focusing on the center of the screen near my cross hairs mostly. If you are a competitive gamer than I would go much smaller, a 24"(or smaller) would be ideal.

I copied this from another thread I posted in, but I think it addresses some of your questions:

I think I am about to pull the trigger on the 48" JU7500. The main differences between the 6700 and 7500 is a semi-glossy vs glossy (respectively) screen. The JU7500 is better at reducing reflections.

The 7500 is marginally better in almost every metric, but not so much that it would be perceptible to the human eye. Plus 3D, which would not be practical to use for gaming due to input lag. Also less motion blur in some use cases.

I recommend you do a side-by-side comparison at http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

I went to best buy and compared 40" vs 48" screens. At normal desk sitting distance 40" is completely within my field of view. 48" was just at the border of my field of view. Because of that 48" felt more immersive. Very slight head turning might be required with a 48" in desktop and productivity settings. In gaming I will be focusing on the center of the screen near my cross hairs mostly. If you are a competitive gamer than I would go much smaller, a 24"(or smaller) would be ideal.

If you play first person shooters then I would say 27" as the biggest (at least competitively) as I've used a BenQ and it was perfect. At one time I had a 50" Plasma that I used as a monitor for a short period and while I know its a horrible idea it was simply too big. Having gone out to HH Gregg and viewing the various 48" inch Samsung displays I came away with the same feeling. Therefore I cannot recommend anything bigger than 40" for monitor use. That is probably going to depend on the person but for me that will be my new rule.

If you play first person shooters then I would say 27" as the biggest (at least competitively) as I've used a BenQ and it was perfect. At one time I had a 50" Plasma that I used as a monitor for a short period and while I know its a horrible idea it was simply too big. Having gone out to HH Gregg and viewing the various 48" inch Samsung displays I came away with the same feeling. Therefore I cannot recommend anything bigger than 40" for monitor use. That is probably going to depend on the person but for me that will be my new rule.

I won't disagree with your suggestion that a 27" is best for FPS, however I too have used my 50" plasma as a monitor for a short period of time and I loved gaming on it. Everything was so damn easy to see! I also game all the time on the 150" projector so to me bigger is not a hindrance. Also if I found gaming was unbearable on the monitor, I could always just keep one of the 24's as a gaming monitor.

However for a monitor size, I am getting the feeling that even if I wanted a 48" they probably won't come on sale to a price I can afford so I really doubt I will be able to get one, then again Woot has a 50" JU6500 for $750 to maybe it will. I am still on the fence on how big is too big, I got a large sprawling desk with lots of room to move things far away and running 3 24" monitors has me rolling or swiveling all over anyways so it would not be a super huge change.

Always good to see people thinking about this though so keep the thoughts coming, I have not bought anything yet! :D

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but is your requirement that the screen has to be curved? If not, the 7100 is close to the 7500 with the biggest difference being that it is not curved. The 7100 is currently going for $800 and is nicely priced in between the 6700 and 7500 while offering close to 7500 performance and features.

I've had a 40JU7500 for several months and love it for gaming and every day computer use. 48" is just too big for my desk, though I've been tempted to get a 48JS9000 since prices have dropped nicely.

@jedolley, no I had not even considered the 7100. I will have to give that a look see on rtings and see how it compares. Curved would be cool and if it's very close in price I would probably lean towards it but I'm certainly not going to pass up a good deal over that.

@Tyler-Durdin. That's encouraging, I was hoping someone had first hand experience with one or the other would post, also yeah the JS9000 looks baller but are the SUHD sets 4:4:4@4k? I didn't want to rule them out if they were an option. Also the 7500 has a better response time which I was under the impression was important in a monitor replacing TV.

I love my 40JU7500. Gaming bliss. 48" would be too big for me.

I'm curious to know what GPU you're using. I was thinking about going GTX960 route until Pascal next year but I know I would be relegated to 1080P gaming with that GPU.

I used a GTX 960 with my 40JU6500 for a while and it was fine for 4k with CS:GO, SC2, and Diablo 3.

I used a GTX 960 with my 40JU6500 for a while and it was fine for 4k with CS:GO, SC2, and Diablo 3.

from that statement I would assume you upgraded cards, to what and why? if you dont mind.
Also how was the 6500 overall? Good monitor? Ghosting? input lag?

Also do you guys think the prices will go down further on these TV's on black friday or do you think what it's at now is as good as its gonna get?

I'm curious to know what GPU you're using. I was thinking about going GTX960 route until Pascal next year but I know I would be relegated to 1080P gaming with that GPU.

I've got 2 980ti's. 4K definitely needs some GPU horsepower if you want to turn on the eye candy.

I use a single 980 Ti with my 7500. Games look and run great. As for any discounts, I've seen the 6500/6700 on sale, periodically. Lowest I've seen for the 40JU7500 is $1200.

That 7100 is basically a flat 7500. I must say that I love the curved screen. Well worth the extra $$ over the 7100, IMO.

I use a single 980 Ti with my 7500. Games look and run great. As for any discounts, I've seen the 6500/6700 on sale, periodically. Lowest I've seen for the 40JU7500 is $1200.

That 7100 is basically a flat 7500. I must say that I love the curved screen. Well worth the extra $$ over the 7100, IMO.

Samsung currently has their Black Friday sale going on and the 40" 7500 is $900, and the 40" 7100 is $800.

I went with the 7100 mainly because it was easier for me to get in store, but would have been happy either way.

I picked up a 48" 6700 tonight for $800 from hh gregg.
I was originally gonna buy a js9000, but the price difference will pay for my shield, a 2nd 980 TI, and a power supply.

from that statement I would assume you upgraded cards, to what and why? if you dont mind.
Also how was the 6500 overall? Good monitor? Ghosting? input lag?

Also do you guys think the prices will go down further on these TV's on black friday or do you think what it's at now is as good as its gonna get?

Went to a GTX 970. Not a huge upgrade but it did make MGS5 playable at 4k Medium settings. Wouldn't have done it but it was a good deal.

I like the 6500 for what I use it for. Probably 50% productivity stuff, 25% games, 25% movies. Input lag is fine, even in PC mode. The ghosting doesn't bother me but I don't play FPS games too much anymore.

If I was buying one now I'd probably get the 6700 as its only $50 more.

So I assume Amazon's sale of $900 is a good deal?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TWFHFF2 though it is a tad high for me.

I was originally gonna buy a js9000, but the price difference will pay for my shield, a 2nd 980 TI, and a power supply.
Damnit, 48" for $800? ugh so many choices so complicated. However no way can I afford 2 980 ti's xD

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As someone who just went through 40-43" 4K TV-as-monitor hell, let me go ahead and say: No. Don't do it. Don't f'ing do it. You will be miserable for one reason or another if you're even half as picky as me... and I didn't think I was picky until dealing with all this.

Just to be clear, a lack of power is not the issue here -- I'm running dual 980Ti SLI. 4K is great. 4K TVs (at least in this price range) are not. Not as monitors.

I went through a Sharp that was so horrible (as a monitor, not as a TV, to be clear) that remembering its model number is irrelevant, a Vizio M series that wouldn't do 4:4:4 chroma above 30Hz and was a blurry mess, a Sony X830C that had terrible black levels and fairly noticable input lag, wasn't as blurry, but the firmware crashed randomly and required minute long reboots, and finally a Samsung JU6500 that was much better so far as input lag and black levels, but the ghosting gave me headaches after ~30 minutes of gaming.

If you want more detail I'll be glad to provide it, but the short answer is... don't. Just don't.

Here -- this 34" 21:9 LG 34UM95C-P IPS is $550 out the door, $500 AR, and will have drastically better real-world usability than any of the TVs. I ended up getting the curved 34" 21:9 Dell UltraSharp for ~$250 more and would be glad to let you know what it's like when it gets here on Friday. Considering you're looking at $900 TVs, you could probably buy two of the LGs, figure out some kind of rig to stack them one atop the other, game on one and have 2 websites or whatever open on the other. Just... don't buy a ~$1000 or less 4K TV for gaming. Please.

Last edited:
@silent-circuit. I hate you so much right now... thanks for posting! =(
now I gotta consider all of those notes.

As someone who just went through 40-43" 4K TV-as-monitor hell, let me go ahead and say: No. Don't do it. Don't f'ing do it. You will be miserable for one reason or another if you're even half as picky as me... and I didn't think I was picky until dealing with all this.

Just to be clear, a lack of power is not the issue here -- I'm running dual 980Ti SLI. 4K is great. 4K TVs (at least in this price range) are not. Not as monitors.

I went through a Sharp that was so horrible (as a monitor, not as a TV, to be clear) that remembering its model number is irrelevant, a Vizio M series that wouldn't do 4:4:4 chroma above 30Hz and was a blurry mess, a Sony X830C that had terrible black levels and fairly noticable input lag, wasn't as blurry, but the firmware crashed randomly and required minute long reboots, and finally a Samsung JU6500 that was much better so far as input lag and black levels, but the ghosting gave me headaches after ~30 minutes of gaming.

If you want more detail I'll be glad to provide it, but the short answer is... don't. Just don't.

Here -- this 34" 21:9 LG 34UM95C-P IPS is $550 out the door, $500 AR, and will have drastically better real-world usability than any of the TVs. I ended up getting the curved 34" 21:9 Dell UltraSharp for ~$250 more and would be glad to let you know what it's like when it gets here on Friday. Considering you're looking at $900 TVs, you could probably buy two of the LGs, figure out some kind of rig to stack them one atop the other, game on one and have 2 websites or whatever open on the other. Just... don't buy a ~$1000 or less 4K TV for gaming. Please.

Ironically, I went in the reverse direction... I had the Dell 34" and got tired of several new release games not supporting the resolution properly. Also, I had my PS4 connected to it and because it's 16:9, it was only using part of the screen. Moving to the 40" JU7100 has been a positive experience for me.

@silent-circuit. I hate you so much right now... thanks for posting! =(
now I gotta consider all of those notes.

Bro, I am responsible for 4 out of 5 of the currently available open box 4K TVs at my local Best Buy. Just trying to save you time, headaches, and frustration.

Ironically, I went in the reverse direction... I had the Dell 34" and got tired of several new release games not supporting the resolution properly. Also, I had my PS4 connected to it and because it's 16:9, it was only using part of the screen. Moving to the 40" JU7100 has been a positive experience for me.

I'm willing to play around with .ini and .cfg files, mods, third party programs and such to get things the way I like. I'm a strange sort of digital masochist that way, I'll admit. What I'm not willing to deal with is a shitty panel, substantial input lag, or blurring.

I understand the JU7100 is a least a bit faster than the JU6500 so it may be a good choice for some people and I'm honestly glad it works for you, but really I suspect two things matter most in determining if you can deal with a low to mid range 4K TV as a monitor (or any 4K TV at this point -- I doubt the $6000 models are substantially faster, response-time and input-lag wise):
1. what display you're coming from (its input lag and ghosting/pixel response time)
2. how sensitive you are to blur / how many things you do where blur is a real issue

Sadly I'm spoiled by my Planar PX2611w. While it's ancient (I bought it in 2009) it's still pretty badass spec-wise. 26" 16:10 1920x1200, IPS, excellent color quality, CCFL backlight so no edge-lit LED nonsense (dimmer these days yes but still bright enough), 5ms GTG response time. The stand even has swivel, tilt, and height adjust, and there's a VESA mount. I basically just wanted a 30+" 4K version of the same thing... but didn't have $1200+++ to spend on it. I thought I could possibly get away with a 40-43" 4K TV under $1000, and at least given what's available to me locally -- I'm not brave enough to buy online as I've returned so many at this point -- I was dead wrong.

It also seems I'm pretty sensitive to blur anymore. Some people say the JU6500 is fine for gaming, even FPS. I'm not saying they're wrong -- for them. For me? It was torture. Also turns out I'm crazy-sensitive to strobed backlights. Sure, the Samsung "MagicMotion" (or whatever it was) setting helped reduce perceived blur, but it cut brightness in half and gave me a splitting headache in about 30 seconds, not to mention looking like shit apart from that reduced blur.

Given my experience I just don't think 4K TVs are up to task as monitors yet.

Last edited:
Samsung currently has their Black Friday sale going on and the 40" 7500 is $900, and the 40" 7100 is $800.

I went with the 7100 mainly because it was easier for me to get in store, but would have been happy either way.

I was going to go with a JU7100 last night and thought better of it. It's $800 but if you ad tax its roughly $855. I noticed that it doesn't come with a pair of 3d glasses which is another $20, putting the total around $880. I can order the JU7500 online with free shipping, no tax AND a 60 day return policy from Crutchfield for $899 flat. That made me reconsider making my purchase at Satan's Workshop (otherwise known as BestBuy) as that just makes sense being only $20 more.

@Silent-Circuit, You have been through multiple displays and have yet to be happy with any of them. Apparently much pickier than most of us when it comes to choosing a monitor. There are plenty of people who own a variation of JU6500/6700/7100/7500 and are happy. That's not to say your experience isn't valued as I'm sure someone shares your detailed expectations but for the rest of us it will be fine. As someone else stated the Ultrawides have a custom resolution and not all games support it. Not sure that's going to be good for everyone but I'm sure the OP is thankful for the suggestion.

For anyone else looking at the 40" range TV/Monitors I would take a look at the Phillips BDM4065UC thread on this forum as its supposed to be on sale black friday at SW for $500. TFTCentral seems to like its contrast, inky blacks and decent input lag. Kinda of a good all rounder. But SW? I don't know man, I don't know!

Last edited:
So I believe everything you are saying silent-circuit, without hesitation, I know people like you, got a few friends like you and I have learned to trust their opinions on things. However I have also come to learn that I am WAY less picky then them.

I have been running on $110 24" LCD monitors that we got on sale 3 years ago for forever ago from Newegg. While I am somewhat picky about things I would honestly have to try it to know for myself. I would rather spend the money on Amazon, find out I don't like it and return it. Gotta take risks to find the rewards or the diamonds in the rough. Especially when, especially regarding these TV's, people's opinions are so WILDLY opposing lol.

So I believe everything you are saying silent-circuit, without hesitation, I know people like you, got a few friends like you and I have learned to trust their opinions on things. However I have also come to learn that I am WAY less picky then them.

I have been running on $110 24" LCD monitors that we got on sale 3 years ago for forever ago from Newegg. While I am somewhat picky about things I would honestly have to try it to know for myself. I would rather spend the money on Amazon, find out I don't like it and return it. Gotta take risks to find the rewards or the diamonds in the rough. Especially when, especially regarding these TV's, people's opinions are so WILDLY opposing lol.

Fair enough, but honestly I'd get Best Buy to price match Amazon locally and just go pick it up so if you /do/ hate it you can return it easily with no shipping costs.

It sounds like you should have gone the 7500 route. I have about 200 hours logged between BF4 and BF Hardline on mine (as well as countless hours playing Dirt: Rally with my Logitech G27) and I have no problems with ghosting or input lag. As a matter of fact, I encourage pretty much everyone I speak to about it to do the same. I replaced a 27" QNIX overclocked to 120hz and a 24" ASUS monitor with 3dvision and couldn't be happier.

It sounds like you should have gone the 7500 route. I have about 200 hours logged between BF4 and BF Hardline on mine (as well as countless hours playing Dirt: Rally with my Logitech G27) and I have no problems with ghosting or input lag. As a matter of fact, I encourage pretty much everyone I speak to about it to do the same. I replaced a 27" QNIX overclocked to 120hz and a 24" ASUS monitor with 3dvision and couldn't be happier.

Sadly, $900+ puts it right outside my price range. $800 was about all I could afford after dropping so much on the 980Ti SLI setup. I also wasn't willing to buy anything I couldn't easily return locally, so that limited my options. It sounds like the 7500 may be a better option. I'm surprised, though, honestly -- the reviews I read said the 71/7500 were only slightly faster than the 6500. I really shouldn't be a night-and-day thing if the numbers are at all accurate.

Sadly, $900+ puts it right outside my price range. $800 was about all I could afford after dropping so much on the 980Ti SLI setup. I also wasn't willing to buy anything I couldn't easily return locally, so that limited my options. It sounds like the 7500 may be a better option. I'm surprised, though, honestly -- the reviews I read said the 71/7500 were only slightly faster than the 6500. I really shouldn't be a night-and-day thing if the numbers are at all accurate.

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but from what I read at Rtings.com is that the JU7500 has a faster response time that is essentially twice as fast as the JU6700 (8.9ms vs 17.9ms respectively). You don't think that would be night and day difference? I noticed the difference in store when comparing the two at HH Gregg but what do I know? I'm no expert.

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but from what I read at Rtings.com is that the JU7500 has a faster response time that is essentially twice as fast as the JU6700 (8.9ms vs 17.9ms respectively). You don't think that would be night and day difference? I noticed the difference in store when comparing the two at HH Gregg but what do I know? I'm no expert.

I apologize, didn't realize it was that big a gap. That said, ~9ms is still extremely slow for a modern monitor, but obviously far better than 18ms. I can see why you'd advocate for the 7500 with those stats.

I was going to go with a JU7100 last night and thought better of it. It's $800 but if you ad tax its roughly $855. I noticed that it doesn't come with a pair of 3d glasses which is another $20, putting the total around $880. I can order the JU7500 online with free shipping, no tax AND a 60 day return policy from Crutchfield for $899 flat. That made me reconsider making my purchase at Satan's Workshop (otherwise known as BestBuy) as that just makes sense being only $20 more.

I considered that same route, but decided in-store was the safer bet... Crutchfield has a good return policy with the 60 days, but keep in mind that right now Best Buy has holiday return policy which is good until January. Also, Crutchfield charges for return shipping in the case of a return and the TV is considered a "freight" item.

Freight shipping: Some items, like larger TVs, furniture, and large tower speakers require special freight shipping, and cost more to return. Larger TVs carry a $125-$175 return freight fee. Larger tower speakers carry a $50 return freight fee. For more details, please call 1.800.955.9091.

There was nothing the 7500 had over the 7100 that I cared about (could care less about 3D glasses) except maybe the better speakers. With that in mind, and the potential return shipping costs if I didn't like it or something was defective, I opted for in-store.

Yeah, you have to see for yourself, and there are plenty of people that have had positive experiences with 4K TVs as monitors.

My advice is to take advantage of the reduced prices Samsung is offering, just about every vendor is participating and most will have extended returns due to the holidays.

$900 for the 40JU7500??? :eek:

As the kids say, that's DOPE! :p

Can't argue with that line of thinking. That's some serious hardware you're adding to your system.

I considered that same route, but decided in-store was the safer bet... Crutchfield has a good return policy with the 60 days, but keep in mind that right now Best Buy has holiday return policy which is good until January. Also, Crutchfield charges for return shipping in the case of a return and the TV is considered a "freight" item.

That's a valid concern. I should have mentioned that I frequent the state they have stores in so return shipping won't be much of an issue for me. I'm sure not everyone has that option and why it may be better to purchase from elsewhere.

Anyone with the JU7500 have any experience with PS4 connected and see if the jaggies are still there?

Edit:

I'm leaning towards JU7500 than the LG 34UM95 due to the glossy screen wider use of resolution.

For anyone else looking at the 40" range TV/Monitors I would take a look at the Phillips BDM4065UC thread on this forum as its supposed to be on sale black friday at SW for $500. TFTCentral seems to like its contrast, inky blacks and decent input lag. Kinda of a good all rounder. But SW? I don't know man, I don't know!

SW?

But Surgeon, where is that deal at Best Buy anyways? I don't see it anywhere online advertised.

Back