JTS-air - open source mITX case for DIY

1. can you mount that thing via the fans? > so that the radiator is screwed onto the fans and the fans onto the case..
    --------Yes you can.

2. does it matter if the fans push or pull through the radiator?
    --------Not really, 1-2 % difference (depending on the fan)

3. can you assembly it so, that the radiator would be sitting on one side of a panel and the fans on the other side? > max panel thickness..
    --------I do not see why not, you are going to need some kind of padding in between so it doesn't rattle.

4. are there restrictions to the orientation of the radiator? > air bubbles/filling/etc..
    --------Better to have the prongs for the tubing up so you can bleed it easy.

5. can you daisy chain 1x120 and 2x120 radiators? > how easy is it to modify the tube assembly..
    --------Yes you can, if you go custom (not sure if anyone has modded an AIO cooler to add a second rad, other then the h220)

6. pro/con of cpu/gpu having dedicated radiators vs all in one single loop? > even possible with the complete systems like H100i..?
    --------Smaller, less things going on, tubing wont be everywhere.
    --------Heat is spread out more even.
    --------If you use the h220, you can add components into the loop super easy, and its an AIO.

Also, have you considered something like this?

Have two holes for the fans in the front, then you can add filters and they would be easy to clean and would shorten the case be about an inch.

FAAE2we.jpg

Last edited:
  1. can you mount that thing via the fans? > so that the radiator is screwed onto the fans and the fans onto the case..
    --------Yes you can.
  2. does it matter if the fans push or pull through the radiator?
    --------Not really, 1-2 % difference (depending on the fan)
  3. can you assembly it so, that the radiator would be sitting on one side of a panel and the fans on the other side? > max panel thickness..
    --------I do not see why not, you are going to need some kind of padding in between so it doesn't rattle.
  4. are there restrictions to the orientation of the radiator? > air bubbles/filling/etc..
    --------Better to have the prongs for the tubing up so you can bleed it easy.
  5. can you daisy chain 1x120 and 2x120 radiators? > how easy is it to modify the tube assembly..
    --------Yes you can, if you go custom (not sure if anyone has modded an AIO cooler to add a second rad, other then the h220)
  6. pro/con of cpu/gpu having dedicated radiators vs all in one single loop? > even possible with the complete systems like H100i..?
    --------Smaller, less things going on, tubing wont be everywhere.
    --------Heat is spread out more even.
    --------If you use the h220, you can add components into the loop super easy, and its an AIO.
Thanks for those answers, will check out the H220 for size and see if it needs modifications to be able to fit one.

Also, have you considered something like this?

Have two holes for the fans in the front, then you can add filters and they would be easy to clean and would shorten the case be about an inch.
<image without airspace at front of case>
For myself, not, no.. for a version of the case for others if they need it - why not.
I can't see how I could get economical and smooth fan intakes into the shell parts of the case by laser, but that wouldn't be my problem in the end, would it? ;)
I'll definitely keep this in mind once we're at this stage.
Thanks! :)

Just a short update..
- lasercutting for 2 cases is underway and should finish Monday next week
- will go straight to the sheetmetal blokes to get it bended (talked with them earlier this week and they will be extra careful to get the tolerances right)
.. pics of this as soon as I get the parts :)

Can't wait to see it :D:D

Would you mind sharing the model?
I'll publish the dxf files as soon as I got mine from the sheetmetal bending and checked that they do what they're supposed to.
No use for you guys to get them cut+bend and it turns out bad.

I'll probably use Thingiverse to host the 'project'.
Already registered there and playing with it - or does anyone have a better alternative to this?

Btw.. as I was playing with the water version (same design rules as for the air version)..
I got a model for H100i, H80i and H220.. is there any other popular 120mm cooler with different dimensions that needs to be considered?

keth.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first I've seen of this. I love it!

Aaaaaannnd we got some real world update.. was in town. All went well, drawings were the correct way round.

ytad.jpg

The base frames, the shells and the USB IO mounts are with the sheet metal guys for bending now. They will make them as soon as possible.
All up the parts on the picture cost me AUD 214.
Will see what bending comes in at, said it would be in the range of 40 bucks per case.

:D:D:D

Had also some talk with the anodizing bloke and he's keen.. will see what he quotes me when he see's the lot together.

Nice work JoanTheSpark. Keep the pics coming.

Also looking forward to the models.

Impressive!!!! Really impressive!!.

Cant wait to see the results. I never though it possible to get this kind of stuff done at a somewhat reasonable price in australia

That looks so awesome. Nice work. :D
Thanks in the name of the laser ;)
At some details I could see that I was pushing the limits of this particular one.. no wonder, they normally use it for heavy work.

Nice work JoanTheSpark. Keep the pics coming.

Also looking forward to the models.
I'm looking forward to the result of the bending.. nervous as shit :eek:
Some edges had a been a bit close to the bends for the blokes taste. So I'm somewhat nervous about the outcome. Once I go back I'll ask if there is anything I can improve.

Impressive!!!! Really impressive!!.

Cant wait to see the results. I never though it possible to get this kind of stuff done at a somewhat reasonable price in australia
Try FNQ.. I think the only mob worse off around here are the NT folks :(
But I'm really glad we got a laser cutter up here at all and some dude who does anodizing in his shed. :D

So if I can do it here, most folks should manage with a bit of luck :cool:

Was at Jaycar and found those nice little feet 30 mm dia, 6 mm high, alu on outside.
Probably gonna use them..

8lsq.jpg

When I got the parts I'd been explained what had been problematic and after starting to fit some components I've encountered some difficulties, so I already made some changes to get a better result out of the box. Will probably add to the list as I go along:
  • PSU holes bigger (dia +1mm)
  • PSU exhaust outline 1mm inwards
  • 120mm fan holes bigger (dia +0.5mm)
  • 80mm fan holes same as 120mm fan holes
  • 80mm fan exhaust area outline 1mm inwards
  • SSD mount holes bigger (dia +0.5mm)
  • PCI cutout wider 5mm on right side (looking at rear of case)
  • PSU 2 more mount holes at right corners (looking at rear of case)
  • bending help/support for ATX I/O plate left edge (looking at rear of case)
..already worked into the model:

m3kb.jpg

.. bending set me back 72 bucks for both cases. And they did a wonderful job (DNC metal works in Cairns). Couldn't be happier for a prototype.

Sorry for not having more pics, but light was already bad when I took it after I came home and it just looks so much better than a mobile with flash could capture. Promise I'll have some tomorrow, gotta go to sleep now.. with a big grin on my face :D:D:D

Last edited:
following on..
  • 2.5" mount holes had a glitch, moved the one closer to the connectors by 1mm
  • Silverstone USB I/O cad model had a glitch (causing slight misalignment in reality), assembly more or less blew up into my face correcting it, all good now
  • added mounting holes for 30mm feet

Last edited:
This gives me a really bad case of 'moist'. And as a fellow Aussie, I won't have to pay a ton for shipping. Hooray!

• doors will need to be fixed by countersunk screws, the velcro works but is not satisfying (to thick) :mad:

Oh, and yesterday it rained all the time - couldn't get pictures, today it was way better.. hope you like them:

ov5p.jpg

i4qt.jpg

Surfaces & edges naturally look a bit rough, they had been cut and bent only. Will treat them after I'm finished with the checks to get them anodized. Might get the corners welded before that as they look a bit ugly.

Couldn't put in the rivnuts/nutserts to test final assembly as I would have to drill them out again for anodizing.. the motherboard sits on 6mm standoffs and works out. So 7mm seems not to be as needed as the construction drawings suggest. Everything else is really straight forward. You can bolt all the stuff into the baseframe where you get to everything and then you just slide it into the shell. The cables go to the sides of the fans where they are out of the way of the airflow.. all nice and dandy.

Last edited:
Oh my god, that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. :D
Can't wait for it to be anodized.

• modified case fan intakes to resemble full intake area of most fans (had worked from a silverstone fan for CAD models)
  • modified SSD mount (improves base frame integrity) as currently the normal sata power connector is colliding a little bit with it

2kzs.jpg

Last edited:
  • rounded some corners

Might be final touches, can't see any further improvements at the moment.
I'm probably looking at a release of the plans on the coming weekend.
Stay tuned.

I have a Silverstone SG03 that I&#8217;ve been considering re-using for mini-ITX, but too much wasted space for an air cooled system.

Your case design look like an evolutionary successor squeezing the dimensions down further. Which is appealing to me.

Don't tell me those are backwards facing 5.25 bay(s)?! :O

:D :D :D

.. unless you can show me a case that offers the following I'll have to make this:
- 2 to 4 external 5.25" bays
- no internal 5.25"s, no 3.5"s
- mITX
- SFX
- as small as possible

I need a NAS :eek:

That reminds me.. those HDDs/SSDs on the bottom of that JTS-air are a bit bad if it comes to assembly/maintenance of the case (*).. one has to remove them every time when pulling the base frame out of the shell. I solved that better in the other ones (learning by doing, eh? :)).
Options are either another bracket crossing the front of the baseframe (for not so high CPU coolers this will be ok) or making up some construction for where they're located now.
Once I got this it's really done.

*) the aim is to have a completely working computer just within the base frame, the doors+shell is just for airflow/dust/EM-shielding & looks

Last edited:
Correct.. just that will be a 1x 5.25 to 4x 2.5" bay like this here: EZ Swap F4

To be more precise 2 of them.. so 8x 2.5" hot/easily swap-able.. and some internal SSD/HDD(s).

lwuk.jpg

Will probably try to construct something for 3.5" too, but not for me personally.. I'm done with them.
Thanks for the link Aibo, gives me some point to start at.

Was browsing Icy Dock's site again and found this: http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=151

6x2.5" hotswap bays in a single 5.25" bay :D

:D yeah, I've seen that too.

Usually you can get 6 SATA ports on mITX and 4-8 more with a half height controller card..

Plenty of options.

Just wondering what would be the go with those 3.5"s.. there is 5 HDD in 3x5.25" (which looks pretty economical for space being used vs number of drives) and there is 3 HDD in 2x5.25" that's a bit of a waste it seems.

Back