JPL Uploads The Sound of Wind on Mars

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory just uploaded processed sensor recordings of "wind" on Mars. The vibrations from Insight's seismometer are very low frequency, but are still audible without having to be sped up, which makes them a great bass test for your PC. NASA also uploaded the raw sounds to SoundCloud, and claims uncompressed .wav files will be available on their site soon.

Check out the Martian wind in the video here.

Listen to Martian wind blow across NASA's InSight lander. The spacecraft's seismometer and air pressure sensor picked up vibrations from 10-15 mph (16-24 kph) winds as they blew across Mars' Elysium Planitia on Dec. 1, 2018. The seismometer readings are in the range of human hearing, but are nearly all bass and difficult to hear on laptop speakers and mobile devices. We provide the original audio and a version pitched up by two octaves to make them audible on mobile devices. Playback is suggested on a sound system with a subwoofer or through headphones. Readings from the air pressure sensor have been sped up by a factor of 100 times to make them audible.

If it ain't flac I don't listen.
I watched "At First Light", surprisingly not too bad.

Nasa releases huge video of listening to "sounds" on Mars after manipulating the data 100 different ways.....but they couldn't have just included a .5/gram cell phone mic to just....record fucking sound.......<shrug>. Neet Tho.

Nasa releases huge video of listening to "sounds" on Mars after manipulating the data 100 different ways.....but they couldn't have just included a .5/gram cell phone mic to just....record fucking sound.......<shrug>. Neet Tho.

I am sure mars is not flat as well.

You guys know that normal microphones won't work because sound doesn't propagate the same in an atmosphere with pressures ~1/200 that of Earth, right?

You guys know that normal microphones won't work because sound doesn't propagate the same in an atmosphere with pressures ~1/200 that of Earth, right?

Those same posters after reading your post:

eLz6jy9.jpg

Does that mean sound travels 200 times slower?

please don't kill me

Ah HA! But you've just caught yourself in your own trap, Mr. Bond, because SOUND is only the interpretation of waves by biological ears. Therefore, if you change a wave form so that it is consistent with how that wave form would act in another environment, it is no longer the same as how a human would have heard it in its natural environment, and therefore IT IS NOT TRUE SOUND! HaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHA!

P.S. If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, it DOES NOT make a sound. It does make pressure waves in the air and in the earth, though, and those waves can be recorded.

No the real reason they don't have microphones...is so that we can't hear the screaming...

Not technically wind. If you listen to the video this is the enhanced sound of the vibration of the solar panels from the wind. So really this sound is simply vibrations as interpreted by instruments not designed to record audio.

I'm suggesting if we wanted to listen to "sound" we'd put the proper instrument on there, this is sort of bullshit. Also we've had mics that can probably listen to sounds from space via lasers mounted on shark-heads...probably....for some time now...probably.

Wasn't this tried on Close Incounters Of The Third Kind?
How'd that work out?
Yep, war of the worlds, men in black,I,II,III,IV... , great JPL why not put up a welcome sign "Come get us this is the best we can do!". Hope you enjoy your new Overlords, Zerg, Protos. ;)

Back