Journey's journey

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
You know when you find a bunch of cash in an old pair of jeans you haven't worn in years?

Back in 2012, I didn't have a PC to run Skyrim. I had an Xbox 360, but there weren't any games for it I wanted to play, so I sold it to buy a PS3 and a PS3 version of TESV. My plan was to play Skyrim until Journey came out. I was also looking forward to Ni No Kuni...

I wasn't making a whole lot of money at my job, and I was struggling to pay rent every month. I'm also a musician, and I was more than happy to sell anything I owned in order to pay rent, as long as it meant keeping my music gear. So, I ended up selling the PS3 a few months after I got it. Journey still hadn't come out, but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Fast-forward to last Friday: I was posting in my other thread about upcoming games with a certain graphical style that I love. I was kind of bored, so I went to the Playstation store in my browser. Had to sign into my account, the credentials for which I'd completely forgotten. Once I got in, I checked out the upcoming and available indie games for the PS4 to see if any of the titles fit the art style I'm always looking for.

After that, I went to my account page to update my details, since I hadn't signed in since February of '12. Guess what game I see linked to my account? Journey. Just sitting there. I have absolutely no recollection of ever purchasing it, but apparently I did!

Now, I've been obsessed with Journey ever since I heard about it. I obsessed with the desert, honestly. I've spent a lot of time in White Sands, NM, and the Great Sand Dunes National Park here in CO. I was also writing a story that shared a lot of themes with the Journey concept, which blew my mind when they first announced it. I also really loved thatgamecompany's earlier titles, so I was going crazy wanting to play their latest title, but I never got to. And I haven't had the money for a PS3 since I sold the one back in '12. I figured I was just going to have to wait to buy a PS4 whenever I can, and get the PS4 version, assuming the recent rumors are true. So Journey has been this spectre in my gaming life: a game I know will be a favorite, up there at the top of the list of all-time most cherished games of my life, but I never actually played it...

Until last night. My little brother has a PS3. I went to his house, synced up my account to his device, downloaded the game, and blissed out for a few hours. I hadn't been this excited sitting down to play a game since I first brought Jak II home. And the experience was worth the long, long wait. I haven't so thoroughly enjoyed a game since my first playthrough of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

There are always those times where I look through my Steam library and remember all the games I have... but finding Journey was truly remarkable. And of course, the game is absolutely beautiful. I was grinning the entire time I was playing it.

Journey is a fantastic and different kind of game. Beautiful as well.

Can't wait for more games from that developers.

Journey is a fantastic and different kind of game. Beautiful as well.

Can't wait for more games from that developers.

Yep. I check their site often. It's frustrating when small studios keep quiet for so long, you start to wonder if they're still kicking.

Journey is absolutely one of a kind, and it looks so damn good, to boot.

Back