Jonsbo UMX 3

m4dcow

n00b
I came across this case on Jonsbo's site the other day. Its roughly 24.5L which for mATX is okay but IMO looks beautiful. The PSU cooling situation has me wondering though...

http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_30.html

cKo0m5e.jpg

VpKQuVA.jpg

6DaUnhN.jpg

uQSglnp.jpg

invWcTr.jpg

ysYDNTw.jpg

Yeah,saw it a few days ago.I dont know what on earth were they thinking about the psu....Its the same as with the umx1 plus.This one has so much wasted space tho.It has the filters on the bottom,than why not put 2 x140mm fanst there and find other space for the ssd?With the right placement even a slim drive coud fit inside.To tell the truth im a litle angry with this as i was waiting for it.First they released the full atx version ,than 2 versions of the umx1 and even than they didnt learned form the mistakes and pushed this one :(

Yeah,saw it a few days ago.I dont know what on earth were they thinking about the psu....Its the same as with the umx1 plus.This one has so much wasted space tho.It has the filters on the bottom,than why not put 2 x140mm fanst there and find other space for the ssd?With the right placement even a slim drive coud fit inside.To tell the truth im a litle angry with this as i was waiting for it.First they released the full atx version ,than 2 versions of the umx1 and even than they didnt learned form the mistakes and pushed this one :(

Yup, they have the bottom vented and filtered, why not have the holes to mount fans down there. They could easily make an ssd mount on the front of the case like they did for the C3, or an optional mount on the side like the U3.

Their thermal configuration for the case looks pretty nutty too
d3jby5M.jpg

Just shows they don't know how to design a "computer" case.
I used the UMX2. It was not easy to work with but at least it was workable. This is not workable. It's DOA.

First they released the full atx version ,than 2 versions of the umx1
It's the other way around. I forgot which forum it was originally from but some guy on that English speaking forum contacted Jonsbo and asked them to make a revision to UMX1 to move the PSU and provide 2 PCIe brackets, it seems they listened and made UMX1 Plus (but after they put out the full ATX UMX2.)
The way UMX series changed its form factor (ITX -> ATX -> mATX), I'm kinda expecting they do the same with W series (ITX -> ATX so far) even if it will not replace Nova for my priority.

For me, a longer U3 (that can accept 10.5" cards without doing acrobatics) with a bit better cooling would be perfect. They sort of did this with the C3 but have the side vents in a useless spot and I prefer the rounded look of the U and UMX series anyway.

Maybe they do another W series and get it right.

There are other cases out there that would probably be better for me, but due to the dust, humidity and salt air where I live, steel cases corrode and get nasty really quickly. So I look to aluminum case makers, sadly lian li doesn't really have reasonably small mATX cases.

There seems to be a lot of unused vertical space inside the case. How hard would it be to fit a ATX motherboard inside? I would get a mATX board, but it seems quite difficult to get a 1155 mobo these days.

I'm seriously considering giving it a try once the case becomes available in Europe.

I'm aware of the UMX2, but I think it is much larger than necessary, and I have no need for an optical drive. In fact, I think the slot ruins the front.

I think I would either have to mount the motherboard up higher, or create a cutout for the motherboard to fit in the bottom of the case.

There seems to be a lot of unused vertical space inside the case. How hard would it be to fit a ATX motherboard inside? I would get a mATX board, but it seems quite difficult to get a 1155 mobo these days.

I'm seriously considering giving it a try once the case becomes available in Europe.

I'm aware of the UMX2, but I think it is much larger than necessary, and I have no need for an optical drive. In fact, I think the slot ruins the front.

I think I would either have to mount the motherboard up higher, or create a cutout for the motherboard to fit in the bottom of the case.

Might be difficult due to the rounded edges, and that vertical space seems to be used for clearance of SSD cage etc...

Jonsbo's RM1 is pretty damn small for an ATX case, but again you run into their nutty lack of cooling.

Back