White House Joint Strategic Plan For Intellectual Property Enforcement

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think we all know how government funded projects like this end up. I predict that, by the year 2020, piracy will be even higher, millions of tax dollars will be wasted and politicians will be trying to convince us that even more money is needed to "win."

“This Strategic Plan represents a ‘call to action’ for all nations – as well as international organizations, industry, educational institutions, and consumer protection and public interest groups – to provide forward-thinking leadership and a collaborative approach to combating illicit IP-based activities,” said White House IPEC Daniel H. Marti. “Together, we can enhance our enforcement programs and policies for the modern era, and ensure that collective efforts to curb illicit trade in counterfeit and pirated goods, online commercial piracy, trade secret theft, and other acts of IP infringement are maintained as a top priority.”

Great speech, but we all know that although all people, and nations, are consumers. Not everyone, or even every country is a producer.

Only nations who represent large amounts of production are going to care. Those who only consume have no iron in the fire in the short term, and as a rule, people are not very good at long term thinking are they?

So if you throw money at something you can make people not sell out secrets to highest bidder?

Back