Joining a domain disabled local account, removing from domain didn't enable it.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So I have win 7 laptop with a local account (well call it admin). I join the laptop to a domain, I can login as a domain user fine, but now the admin account is disabled. So I remove the laptop from the domain. The admin account is still disabled. How can I get this account enabled again? I can still get into to safe mode as the administrator but the admin account doesn't show up there under user accounts.

edit: Nvm, i was able to find the account under the administrator account the domain sets up.

Last edited:
You will have to log in as an admin enable it. Removing a computer doesn't change anything other than the domain it belongs to. If changes were made while it was a member of the domain, you will have to manually undo them if you want them un-done.

You will have to log in as an admin enable it. Removing a computer doesn't change anything other than the domain it belongs to. If changes were made while it was a member of the domain, you will have to manually undo them if you want them un-done.

I ended up having to join it to the domain again and use the domains administrator account. The account wouldn't show up under the local administrators account.

this is because when you joined the PC to the domain, you got a copy of the local security policy, pushed from the domain.

If you have domain admin right, it's best to be sure Admin has interactive / local admin right before you join it, as this will change your active profile to the domain/<username> profile, instead of the local_machine/<username> profile.

The built in Administrator account is disabled by default on Windows 7. Unless you enabled it before you joined the domain, it was always disabled. Your local account is still there and alive. You just have to sign into it by using computername\username instead of your domain username.

You just have to sign into it by using computername\username instead of your domain username.

That's the account that was disabled, it was the only local account on the laptop. I found the account by going into the domains adminstrator account and enabling it.

That's the account that was disabled, it was the only local account on the laptop. I found the account by going into the domains adminstrator account and enabling it.
For future reference, your other option is to use a boot disc like Parted Magic Desktop, and use the password reset tool to unlock the account.

Back