Join the Alliance -- the Socket 939 Alliance!

What are you guys doing with the retired Socket 939 PCs? Mine is still working, just slow for modern software. Did anyone try to sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and advertise it as a computer for someone's grandparent? I realize parting it out would net me more $. The other option would be to donate it to some org. I'll of course reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows XP on it.

My 4800+ I have in my sig is hooked up to a 32" visio next to my main rig for watching netflix and other things. I am using Stardock multiplicity to control it so I don't need a hardware kvm.

My old s939 is still rocking out as my media PC. Still manages to crank out music on my surround sound system, and does a pretty goddamn good job at 720p video playback. I'm still content with it. ^.^

My 4800+ was starting to have issues with some H.264's and Blu-ray playback and in some cases even watching some netflix movies.
The new APU has put all that in the past though.

That's a good idea for recycling the 939 as an HTPC. I already have one, so this is essentially now a 3rd computer and therefore of no use for me. I'm debating between selling it (how much?), parting it (probably not worth the effort), and donating it (for a worthy org.).

Oh, I was pleasantly surprised that my new i3770K CPU uses about 100 W less than the x2 4200+! :cool: It's amazing how much more efficient, and more powerful, these new computers are. :) Tonight, I plan to robocopy the last half TB from the old PC to the new rig.

Mine died the mobo so I sold the processor.
I'd rather pick up an AM2+/AM3 board and use a newer faster processor which is more power efficient
939 was good at the time though

Finally retired my old A8N-SLI Premium and 3800+ X2.
Was a great motherboard, but without AMD-V instructions and a limit of 4GB RAM, it just isn't enough for modern workloads outside of basic web browsing.

Will always be my favorite system, 2005 ftw.

Didn't realize how long it had been since I had last seen this thread.......

This:

I still have 2 939 systems in use, but not personally, they've been farmed out to a friend and a family member.

1. Opteron 165 running at 2.75, DFI LanParty Ultra, Thermalright SI-128, and some passive mid-range Radeon - my dad uses it to play flight sims on
2. Opteron 152 running at 2.9, Abit something or other, Scythe Ninja and my old 8800GTS - my friend uses it for gaming on his 20" CRT and pr0n

Is still a true statement. I'm hoping to upgrade my rig and pass my current parts along to my dad, since it would be a huge jump in performance for him.

One of these days, before I wipe out the HDD of my old Socket 939 computer, reinstall Windows XP, and donate it (that's what I'm leaning to), I'm going to run a real-life benchmark test using LAME to encode an 800 MB WAV file to a little over 100 MB on both my X2 4200+ PC and the new one that's running an i7-3770K. Both are stock clocked.

The IPC of that i7 will destroy that old X2, assuming the app is SMP.
I do have to say though, that the 939 X2 was sooo much better than those crap Pentium D's.

The IPC of that i7 will destroy that old X2, assuming the app is SMP.
I do have to say though, that the 939 X2 was sooo much better than those crap Pentium D's.
I have some stats that may interest some.

I ran LAME 3.99.5 with "--preset extreme" on a 704 MB WAV file. It encoded the MP3 to 147 MB. The following describes stock-clocked CPU for both PCs.

On my old PC (running an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ CPU), it took 3:52 (232 sec.). On my new PC (running an Intel i3770K CPU), it took 1:17 (77 sec.). Basically, it took just 1/3 of the time. And I believe LAME just uses a single core (although someone can feel free to correct me).

Before the 939, my previous CPU was a Pentium II-450, that was definitely crap after a several years using it. :eek:

My last socket 939 boxd is running my pfsense router. I have a socket 754 running my FreeNAS :)

wow...

I still have a lot of DFI lanparty 939 motherboards. Good times!
Maybe time for a nostalgia build. :)

Ah, the memories. RIP, my Venice 3000+ that gave me a 33% OC at stock Vcore.

Yeah, a blast from the past for sure. (And speaking of blast, I second the shaming of HyroBudz.) I sold my Socket 939 build to a friend last year. I don't think he's used it much since then. : \

Ah, Socket 939... I never personally had a rig on that platform, as I went from Socket A to Socket AM2... Still, good times nonetheless.

I still have my old topless opty 170 ccb1e 0550vpmw - one of the best clocking revisions out there.. ran at 2.8 all day with almost no extra voltage... 3.0 with wc and a hefty vcore boost.. I think I ran it at 2.9 most of the time.

1925-2.jpg

^ By far the best quality 939 board in existence, and to this day, my favorite AMD/x86 motherboard.
Perhaps it wasn't the highest performance, but damn, was it a good board for its time.

<Snip>

^ By far the best quality 939 board in existence, and to this day, my favorite AMD/x86 motherboard.
Perhaps it wasn't the highest performance, but damn, was it a good board for its time.

I don't know. I never got an A8N-SLI board to work right for me ever. I much preferred the DFI NF4 Ultra-D.

Lolol @ that boxart. I miss the old cheesy designs all the tech companies used to use back then, especially in the 90's...

I finally scavenged a motherboard out of an old HP desktop to resurrect my 939 build. So many great memories with that rig...The nostalgia is strong in this thread.

S939 was my first computer build. Yes, nostalgia is strong here. May it never die. :)

I'm looking around for a mATX 754 board to resurrect one of my most memorable builds, but 939 with Athlon 3000 + DFI mobos was a great time as well :)

i'm need to find the time to start my water cooled retro build using this gear:

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

i've been dying to get my hands on this board since i saw it in a review nearly a decade ago. managed to track one down in the uk. now i just need to find the right 2006 chassis and maybe replace the opteron with an fx 60.

Ive got a 3500+ rig lying around at my parent's somewheres.

I truly wish i had not parted ways with my old FX51 setup from years ago. What a beast and way way too much fun outbenching 4ghz+ P4s at the time.

I say snag a Lian Li Case since they have some that really have not changed in 10 years. I would say the Chieftech style Dragon cases but they were more like 12-13 years ago.

the egg has a lian li pc-7 plus mid tower for $80 and i can get a 240 radiator ready top from performance-pcs.com for another $20. i've been looking for an aluminum dragon for the last year since i found the sapphire pure board but no luck. i've got a cooler master storm scout that i can use, but its the wrong era and its kind of ugly.

Finally retired my Opty 185 rig from 24/7 HTPC use. Served me well but it was time to move on. :cool:

Everything still works, just sitting in the garage for now. Wonder if it's worth selling or not.

Back