Johnnyguru.com its a sad day

hititnquitit

2[H]4U
I havent been able to connect to his website or forum today. Im hoping its just a glitch and not the site going down. I like to keep an eye on the forum from time to time to see if anything psu related comes up but i havent been able to connect to it today. Has anyone else had any issues today?

I havent been able to connect to his website or forum today. Im hoping its just a glitch and not the site going down. I like to keep an eye on the forum from time to time to see if anything psu related comes up but i havent been able to connect to it today. Has anyone else had any issues today?
No, it is not a glitch. The last person involved in that site's power supply reviews retired. Instead of replacing reviewers, the site's host left the site in situ until its domain certificate expired.

In other words, the site is dead, and the host never had the opportunity to archive the pages or reviews.

Real shame... Just the other day I was looking up information about a particular PSU. Dozens of links on google pointed to the Jonnyguru site, and none of them worked...

It doesn't bother me at all when people decide to retire. I just don't understand why so many people feel the need to take their site and/or forums with them. Even if they had no plans for new content, what about the years and years of older content, from both the site itself as well as the forums, that could still be valuable for many more years to come? Books would not be removed from a library just because the author retired - yet this is exactly what happens on the internet - entire sites wiped off the internet. Gone. I doubt renewing a domain would disrupt anyone's retirement...

People ask about older PSUs often, in many cases because they've been using it already for many years and want to know if it's safe to continue using it. Well the biggest factor when it comes to using an older PSU isn't so much it's age, but rather, was it even a good PSU to begin with? It's hard for people to answer those questions when all the older reviews vanish from the internet like a fart in the wind.

Real shame... Just the other day I was looking up information about a particular PSU. Dozens of links on google pointed to the Jonnyguru site, and none of them worked...

It doesn't bother me at all when people decide to retire. I just don't understand why so many people feel the need to take their site and/or forums with them. Even if they had no plans for new content, what about the years and years of older content, from both the site itself as well as the forums, that could still be valuable for many more years to come? Books would not be removed from a library just because the author retired - yet this is exactly what happens on the internet - entire sites wiped off the internet. Gone. I doubt renewing a domain would disrupt anyone's retirement...

People ask about older PSUs often, in many cases because they've been using it already for many years and want to know if it's safe to continue using it. Well the biggest factor when it comes to using an older PSU isn't so much it's age, but rather, was it even a good PSU to begin with? It's hard for people to answer those questions when all the older reviews vanish from the internet like a fart in the wind.
You can still grab the google cached pages in the google results, it should give you the relevant information at least for now.

Where does one go for power supply reviews now days?

GotNoRice Then offer to pay for the hosting to keep that data up. There are costs involved, as well as maintaining a site from security exploits and such, so now you need to keep your forum software up to date, which takes time, also modding a forum so not anyone can sign up and spam around...Unless they put the forums into a read only mode. But again hosting....costs money..

GotNoRice Then offer to pay for the hosting to keep that data up. There are costs involved, as well as maintaining a site from security exploits and such, so now you need to keep your forum software up to date, which takes time, also modding a forum so not anyone can sign up and spam around...Unless they put the forums into a read only mode. But again hosting....costs money..
do you have a contact there? I'd be interested.

I’m guessing you’ve never been involved in web development or web hosting. There is a cost associated with keeping archived content alive on the internet. I could go on about requirements, cost and security. It still takes time and money to maintain a site even when it’s decaying. Not the sort of thing I’d do if I was retiring from it. Also no one chips in. People barely support living eventful forums and websites, let alone a defunct site existing for archival purposes.

The site owner could have tried selling it or giving to someone in the trusted community to maintain it, but even then your name is still associated with it. So there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes.

I’m guessing you’ve never been involved in web development or web hosting. There is a cost associated with keeping archived content alive on the internet. I could go on about requirements, cost and security. It still takes time and money to maintain a site even when it’s decaying. Not the sort of thing I’d do if I was retiring from it. Also no one chips in. People barely support living eventful forums and websites, let alone a defunct site existing for archival purposes.

The site owner could have tried selling it or giving to someone in the trusted community to maintain it, but even then your name is still associated with it. So there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes.
I'd consider buying and maintaining the site/archives. If anyone has info about the owner and a way to contact, please pm me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
if im not mistaken he works for corsairs psu division now? ive no idea how to reach him unfortunately.

thread needs a title update with a RIP...
i think my suggestions have already been covered though.

Not yet. I am going to call Jon tomorrow and see what is up. He no longer works at JG.com but he does stay in touch with Tazz. I'd email Tazz directly but my JG email account is not working and I don't have Tazzs info in another account.

You can go to thefpsreview.com several of the reviewers that used to be here at [H] are there doing reviews again, and they are doing psu reviews along with the motherboard, cpu, gpu reviews, etc.

The table of contents that was added semi-recently in the reviews are a game changer vs. expanding it like in the past. I still think the site needs a little more graphical design work starting with that bright white font on that black background which kinda hurts my eyes but of course the content is always top-notch.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
You can go to thefpsreview.com several of the reviewers that used to be here at [H] are there doing reviews again, and they are doing psu reviews along with the motherboard, cpu, gpu reviews, etc.
I must be missing something. The reviews overall seem kinda sparse here? Almost 6 mo for a CPU review, month or more in between MoBo, PSU, storage reviews etc?

I must be missing something. The reviews overall seem kinda sparse here? Almost 6 mo for a CPU review, month or more in between MoBo, PSU, storage reviews etc?

Well, we weren't sampled Ryzen 5000 CPUs. We've been trying to buy them but have come up short on that. There are more two of us doing motherboards so those will come up more often. It's a part time job for most all of us.

Well, we weren't sampled Ryzen 5000 CPUs. We've been trying to buy them but have come up short on that. There are more two of us doing motherboards so those will come up more often. It's a part time job for most all of us.
Oooh gotcha! Thanks for the info. I'll start visiting there more often :)

How are those ad blockers working out for you?
Me? I haven't run one on [H] in awhile now... at least a year or more (probably more like 2yr), and have also chipped in for the paid membership here (a few years ago, if I recall). I just set exclusion on thefpsreview after I skimmed it earlier. I'm heavy handed with it, though.

Me? I haven't run one on [H] in awhile now... at least a year or more (probably more like 2yr), and have also chipped in for the paid membership here (a few years ago, if I recall). I just set exclusion on thefpsreview after I skimmed it earlier. I'm heavy handed with it, though.
HardOCP has been gone for about 2 years, and HardForum runs no ads. What is your point?

HardOCP has been gone for about 2 years, and HardForum runs no ads. What is your point?
What was yours? I wasn't sure who you were attempting to call out about running an ad-blocker, so I responded with how I use mine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Geeze, two years already? My sense of time is totally F'd.

Sad news. That was my most trusted place for power supply reviews. I hope there's some way they can get back online!

I'd chip in to help - they've helped me make very informed $300-$500 PSU purchases (that I'm still using). Keep us posted.

Jon Gerow (owner of Johnnyguru.com) quit doing PSU reviews years ago and is now the Director of R&D at Corsair...I think he turned over everything but ownership of the site to Jeremy Schrag (Oklahomawolf) and he retired in 2018

I'd consider buying and maintaining the site/archives. If anyone has info about the owner and a way to contact, please pm me. Thanks in advance.
The site was created by Jon Gerow, who is now the R&D manager of Corsair Power Supplies. I use to frequent the Guru site for years and talk with Jon about PSUs. There were also some really smart MFers that were on that site too. I mean like theorist type smart, and pretty out there when you tried t ask a simple question about electronics. Anyway, if you want to ask about the site, contact Jon Gerow from Corsair. It use to be his website and the name JonnyGuru was a take off on his name, which, again, is Jon Gerow.

Here is Jon talking about PSU on Youtube:

Jon's LinkedIn site:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-gerow-33b9ba6

I, too, was sad about the site being down. I was reading it way back before 2008ish. I loved "Oklahoma Wolf's" jocular, very well written, informative, and funny reviews: "Well, I intent to cook this PSU until it screams, so let's just do that right now and see if we can find any hobos in the hot box." LMAO!
Jeremy Schrag (Oklahoma Wolf) He retired from doing PSU reviews in 2018.
om%2Fphotos%2Fbios%2Fallpar-people%2Fjeremy-schrag.jpg

Here is a post about Jeremy retiring from the PSU review biz, and he actually replied to the post!
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/a0uqoq/end_of_an_era_final_review_for_jonnygurucoms_lead/

I would read his PSU reviews for fun, late at night, and wonder, where or who is this damn guy? Damn he had some funny lines in his very entertaining reviews. Seems like a really cool dude.

Jon is active on LinusTechTips:
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1343822-rm-vs-rmx/?tab=comments#comment-14776282

Last edited:
PSU product reviews made earlier than 2010, they are useless today.
Two years ago I started a membership at Johnnyguru forum, it had 4~5 as active members from India mostly, all conversations deadly boring.
I am professionally in to electronics, talking all day long about Mosfet, this is deadly boring to me.

Reactions: erek
like this
The forums were better a few year before that. Jonnyguru posted on the forums as well, talking about PSU production in China.

People would come in and say these 5 off-brand PSUs are all that's available in their country, and ask which is the best one. The forum regulars immediately knew the OEM for each one, the platform, features, etc.

I was super impressed with their passion for PSUs.

The forums were better a few year before that. Jonnyguru posted on the forums as well, talking about PSU production in China.

People would come in and say these 5 off-brand PSUs are all that's available in their country, and ask which is the best one. The forum regulars immediately knew the OEM for each one, the platform, features, etc.

They were the original PSU gurus.

Sad to see such and amazing website. Their reviews were by far the best for PSU
They started getting lots of competition from big sites, like Tom's and others, who are now doing really in depth reviews on PSUs. What they lack is character. That's good thing, because it's a technical review.

However, Jeremy was fun to read, and the explanations always present in the reviews, such as what ripple is, etc., were a nice touch. When I was on the market for a PSU, I'd get some coffee and settle down into reading the reviews to find one. It was fun. I remember many cold, late nights with my coffee reading "Oklahoma Wolf." lol There was just a lot of passion in his work. Reading an OW review was just one of the small things in life that mattered.

I still think if he came back and did PSU reviews with his writing style, he could get a fairly large following. Just do a really tight wordpress website with a good database back-end, and then just be himself. People would come, for sure.

I think that's the saddest part of the site going down. The psu forum was a great place to learn about everything powersupply.

Not to necro-thread, but I was reading some old replies. The thing is, no one really cares about PSU anymore. Most of the name brands are so good you will never have a problem. That's unlike years ago when cases came with PSU. lol. Even then, no problems even after years off use, and those were some dirty, dirty PSU units! It's still nice to have what we have now, like one of the reviewers on one of the main sites, and I can't remember his name, does PSU reviews, and he was one of the people who helped create the standards for PSU. I mean, the guy is an electrical engineer. So, yeah, it's nice to have a place to quickly check your PSU choice, but other than that, PSU reviews are an era whos time has come and gone.

Back when JG started up, it was a novel idea and an important resource. I don't blame Jeremy and Jon for moving on. It was just time. That's how life works.

Back