John Williams Hasn't Seen A Single Star Wars Movie

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The maestro is 84 years old and still has enough energy left to troll people. While he probably just meant he never watches the finished versions of his films, he also claims that his music isn’t memorable.

Williams admitted that he hasn’t sat through any of the Star Wars films he’s created scores for, at least not all the way through. He’s watched sequences when he was physically orchestrating them. But he said that when he’s done with a movie, he’s done, and doesn’t care to revisit them. “I have not looked at the Star Wars films and that’s absolutely true,” Williams said. “I’m not particularly proud of that, I have to say.”

I imagine he has to watch the footage dozens of times while composing the music, to get the mood and the timing and such just right. After that, does he really need to watch the movie again?

Ummm he is 84

Think he should still be working the flesh off his bones?
No, I don't know why he doesn't retire. That's kind of the point, he's made amazing scores over the years, but the last memorable theme I think he made was probably Harry Potter. I don't think his age is doing him any favors regarding the quality of his music.

Just saw Rogue One yesterday with my wife as a Christmas present because she really wanted to catch it while it was in the theater, I personally didn't care for it beforehand and after seeing it I don't really care for it now either. Had hoped there would be some lingering musical memories but alas, the soundtrack was nothing even remotely similar to anything that John Williams has ever done before and was sorely missed. There were inferences in some scenes with Darth Vader to the "Imperial March" but they were quick and fleeting. Another disappointment I suppose but as someone that grew up and watched the original trilogy movies in theaters on their respective days of release long ago this new story just doesn't really add much to things at all (except mad cash in Disney's coffers I suppose).

The only redeeming part of the entire flick for me personally was
seeing Darth Vader man-Force-handle all the Rebels at the very end, that was damned wicked watching him just tear right through 'em like a hot knife through butter.

That almost made it worth the ticket price alone but of course that scene was like 45 seconds, sadly, even so it was damned awesome.

As for this movie and The Force Awakens, and whatever they end up creating for the future, I'm not getting my hopes up that's for sure. I still have the memories of the original trilogy viewed with friends and family, I remember being a very early member of the Star Wars Fan Club, getting issues of Bantha Tracks the newsletter, etc, and that'll just have to do.

Not thinking your gods gift to humanity, is what makes an artist strive to be better.

Its a rare trait these days.

Back