JOHN WICK 4 AND MATRIX 4 THREAD (All Keanu)

How come no one talks about how bad the scene with the Merovingian is? WTF was the point of that?
Dude, I'm still dying laughing about that. The social commentary was spot on. I think the message just hit a little too close to home for most people.

TENET stumbled right when the protagonist met the scientist to explain what inversion was. That scene was way too short. That was the whole movie but it didn't even matter because of how rushed it was.
Matrix 4 did the same when they arrived to IO and Niobe explained what happened to the machines after Neo saved them. That scene was rushed and should have been the central theme of the movie.

When directors rush the central meaning of a movie, the audience will have a negative experience.
I saw TENET again to understand how the science behind Inversion worked and connecting the loop of events to figure out how Neil opened the gate. If you understood that the first time, I'm skeptically impressed.

I saw the trailer for Tenet and thought, oh no, Nolan is going into super smarty pants esoteric mode again. Reminded me of Interstellar, which I enjoyed the first half of. I enjoyed Dunkirk enough to buy it on disc, so he'd won me back after Batman3:BaneBoogaloo and Interstellar. Maybe someday if I'm bored I'll watch Tenet on a streaming service.

Honestly, I didn’t think the movie was as bad as I thought it would be. I’m not a fan they didn’t give it a serious attempt though. If you view this as more of a comedy it’s not bad. The second act was generally garbage.

At the end of the day the film literally tells the audience that WB was going to make one regardless. So this is basically a “fuck it” attitude from the original director.

Right, it's a romantic comedy with action. Not a serious movie. But it was great.

I saw the trailer for Tenet and thought, oh no, Nolan is going into super smarty pants esoteric mode again. Reminded me of Interstellar, which I enjoyed the first half of. I enjoyed Dunkirk enough to buy it on disc, so he'd won me back after Batman3:BaneBoogaloo and Interstellar. Maybe someday if I'm bored I'll watch Tenet on a streaming service.
Awww come on, what's wrong with Interstellar? Probably my favorite modern film, and I'm a Nolan hater!

Interstellar was great, as was Tenet. But any movie that makes people think beyond their capacity automatically sucks.

I like the Nolan films for every aspect besides the absolutely horrific 'artistic choice' to engineer/mix the sound where you can't fucking hear people. I hate it. His movies would be perfect otherwise.

Interstellar was great, as was Tenet. But any movie that makes people think beyond their capacity automatically sucks.
Interstellar was phenomenal. When it came out everyone around me was like "meh", I would call them uncultured swine.

I understood most of it without subtitles. I want to watch it again with subs, but I went on a marathon and watched the movie 4 times opening day so I needed to give it a break.

Awww come on, what's wrong with Interstellar? Probably my favorite modern film, and I'm a Nolan hater!
Interstellar surpassed the original Matrix for me for my #1 movie. When I saw it at the theater I literally lost track of time.
My mind when numb once he said, "No, It's necessary".

1. Interstellar
2. Matrix 1
3. Inception

I still don't know where to place TENET and I like it a lot, but it's not in my Top 5, maybe #4 of Nolan movies though.

Last edited:

Bah, I completely forgot about Inception and I remember liking that more than Interstellar. The problem with Interstellar is that the first half is interesting that devolves into cliche town past the hole in space as it were. I remember some said the ending was cliche guy saves girl romance and that turned them off. For me that just was icing on the cake of sillyness.

To draw it down further, the notion of settling a human colony on a planet surrounding a black hole is...dumb. Like the Matrix sequels are dumb.

To draw it down further, the notion of settling a human colony on a planet surrounding a black hole is...dumb. Like the Matrix sequels are dumb.
The former astrophysicist in me twitched a bit at the realism of the other side of the worm hole. There was a super massive black hole, orbiting it is not particular bad as super massive black holes have radii so extreme the tidal forces are not really horrible. One planet was orbiting a neutron star (that was orbiting the black hole) which is the one that had massive time dilation ... but if it really had that much I would think the tidal forces would rip the planet apart not just create a big tidal wave... also all the planets had light on them as if they were in fact orbiting a star, so yeah lots of issues I found with it until I just accepted the fact that the black hole's purpose was simply some way to give some cool visual effects and was a Macguffin device for the movie, similar to the way the "blight" on Earth was.

At the end of the day the film literally tells the audience that WB was going to make one regardless. So this is basically a “fuck it” attitude from the original director.
Right, but I didn't *want* a "fuck-it" movie. I wanted one that expanded on the Matrix lore/story. This wasn't it.

Right, but I didn't *want* a "fuck-it" movie. I wanted one that expanded on the Matrix lore/story. This wasn't it.
This movie really isn’t that bad compared to how bad it really could have been.

At the end of the day the matrix is dead. Has been for years since matrix online was shutdown.

Unintelligible dialog is actually a "thing" in Hollywood and has been for a few years now. Directors actually do it on purpose and the two explanations usually given are 1) that the director thinks it's "more realistic" and tells the sound team to ruin well-mic'd audio in post; and/or 2) the actors have largely picked up the mumbles style for an unknown reason. Here's one of many articles written about it: https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/he...icult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

It's one of the reasons why I don't go to theaters any more. I can just turn on CCs at home and have a far more enjoyable experience as a result. It's really a shame, too, because there are movies like Dune with absolutely brilliant audio which paints a world all by itself...only to then have the dialog destroyed in post.

This doesn't even seem to be a "thunderdolt is just a grumpy old man" thing either. My interns all complain about it as much as I do.
I thought it was just me.

Unintelligible dialog is actually a "thing" in Hollywood and has been for a few years now. Directors actually do it on purpose and the two explanations usually given are 1) that the director thinks it's "more realistic" and tells the sound team to ruin well-mic'd audio in post; and/or 2) the actors have largely picked up the mumbles style for an unknown reason. Here's one of many articles written about it: https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/he...icult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

It's one of the reasons why I don't go to theaters any more. I can just turn on CCs at home and have a far more enjoyable experience as a result. It's really a shame, too, because there are movies like Dune with absolutely brilliant audio which paints a world all by itself...only to then have the dialog destroyed in post.
I can't begin to describe how annoying that is, though it seems to extend back further than a few years, whatever the cause. Maybe it has just become much worse. I had blamed it on speakers (or positioning, room acoustics, etc.); naturally, it must be part of a conspiracy to sell more speakers. ;)

With CCs on, it's also interesting how much dialogue is revealed during scenes that one would imagine are supposed to be unintelligible, such as background communication over two-way radios during noisy action scenes (e.g., police, military) . 🚨

How sucessful do you think the original Matrix movie would have been if it was just the story and the not the new cgi effects?

I loved the concept of the first matrix movie, but how many people only cared or liked it because of the special effects?

I loved the concept of the first matrix movie, but how many people only cared or liked it because of the special effects?

People in high school in NYC at the time were talking about it as an action/fight movie, that 'was crazy man' (conceptually), it wasn't perceived as a CGI/Sci-Fi movie by the gen pop - those were like the cherries on top - at least from my experience

People in high school in NYC at the time were talking about it as an action/fight movie, that 'was crazy man' (conceptually), it wasn't perceived as a CGI/Sci-Fi movie by the gen pop - those were like the cherries on top - at least from my experience
Yeah I remember people having philosophical discussions about the premise of the Matrix itself. Don't get me wrong action/cg was great but it definitely was a new direction for a movie. When they tried to throw in a bunch of backstory and behind the scenes type stuff then yeah it largely fell apart (aka M2 and M3)

Animatrix is cool though, I have that on my Plex server, just that and the first movie

Back