JOHN WICK 4 AND MATRIX 4 THREAD (All Keanu)

I don't care if both of the dudes wanna duct tape their weenies to their taints and walk around in public with makeup and styling looking like they are out of the Hunger Games capitol...as long as they do their jobs writing and directing movies while not injecting a bunch of political agenda trash into their scripts. Which, to me, they absolutely didn't do with M4. A couple of the "wokeness" video shorts played before the actual movie at the theater I go to (Alamo Drafthouse) took care of that drivel.
To be fair, Lilly didn't do Matrix 4 because she said, then him, becoming a woman the Matrix just wasn't apart of, now her, anymore.
I think Lana should have taken the same POV.

Let my favorite director, Christopher Nolan, take a shot at a Matrix Trilogy.

To be fair, Lilly didn't do Matrix 4 because she said, then him, becoming a woman the Matrix just wasn't apart of, now her, anymore.
I think Lana should have taken the same POV.

Let my favorite director, Christopher Nolan, take a shot at a Matrix Trilogy.
maybe...
now that would be interesting...

Looks like the Drinker has finally taken a proper ripping into it. Glad I skipped it, not that my fondness for The Matrix universe is intact after the sequels. The original was one of the best sci-fi films ever made. This...was just embarrassing.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Matrix 1 - awesome story, awesome action, effects, everything, could have just ended it here

Matrix 2 - crazy awesome action scenes, nothing else that special, continuation of a story that didn't need to be continued.
Matrix 3 - crazy awesome action scenes, nothing else that special, I guess they had to conclude the story 2 started, could have just ended it here

Matrix 4 - nothing that special in the action scenes, they were good, but we've seen it all before, another continuation of a story that didn't need to be continued

Compared to the amazing story of the first, and the insane action scenes in the others, 4 felt like a made for TV movie.

Looks like the Drinker has finally taken a proper ripping into it. Glad I skipped it, not that my fondness for The Matrix universe is intact after the sequels. The original was one of the best sci-fi films ever made. This...was just embarrassing.

normally agree with him, this time i dont think he even watched it, maybe just had it playing in the background. you have to have the first 3 fresh in your mind and pay attention to 4 for it all to come together and make sense.

everyone: please, watch the first 3 and then watch it again.

I guess in our "new normal" this could be skewed since this went to HBO Max also, right.
Yes, I presume most people watched it at home.

I signed up with HBO Max just for this, they had a sale for $7/month a little while ago.

So that definitely had an effect, and it would be hard to distinguish who subscribed for The Matrix.

In any case, HBO Max is actually one of the best streaming services, so I will keep it around.

TENET also got some bad reviews, but was really an amazing movie.
It's a movie that has to be rewatched numerous times. I got it on my third watch and some assistance from YouTube.
Not his best work but I don't think he was going for that. Like the Matrix Resurrections, I think he was trying to introduce an alternate reality that many people didn't quite understand.

Most people will not rewatch a movie they didn't understand the first time. Any Nolan movie has to be watched at least twice.

TENET also got some bad reviews, but was really an amazing movie.
Christopher Nolan is a very talented director with an impressive track record. Even a disappointing movie from him would be considered a good movie by today's standards in Hollywood.

Wachowski's have a relatively poor track record (e.g. Jupiter Ascending). With the appearance that their movies at this point are nothing more than a proxy for liberal types to push their agenda (i.e. biased to be favorable towards the film based off agenda rather than quality), I'd consider the ~60% The Matrix 4 to be very charitable compared to 69% scoring movie directed by a white man (white man evil).

Yes, I presume most people watched it at home.

I signed up with HBO Max just for this, they had a sale for $7/month a little while ago.

So that definitely had an effect, and it would be hard to distinguish who subscribed for The Matrix.

In any case, HBO Max is actually one of the best streaming services, so I will keep it around.
Yeah the direct to streaming bit definitely skews the needle a bit as to how much a movie flops or not. Could be the new normal like other industries that have some things carry others, I mean last I checked they still charged the same amount for tickets regardless of the movie only changing price based on what time it showed, so why not do it this way?

Internally they know of they are making money and it really isn't anyone's business how much it made or how much it cost. Not sure how much this movie cost to make but their bottom line will show whether or not they want to do risks or not.

Disney did it peak covid and probably never saw the same return, and seemed to shift back a bit, eg Black Widow released online at the same time as theaters even though it was a nearly 2 year delayed movie, but Eternals and Spiderman did not. It may be a lot like season passes for amusement parks, more money today but less potentially overall is better for their business in general. How many get HBO max but dont go to theaters that much?

Matrix 1 - awesome story, awesome action, effects, everything, could have just ended it here

Matrix 2 - crazy awesome action scenes, nothing else that special, continuation of a story that didn't need to be continued.
Matrix 3 - crazy awesome action scenes, nothing else that special, I guess they had to conclude the story 2 started, could have just ended it here

Matrix 4 - nothing that special in the action scenes, they were good, but we've seen it all before, another continuation of a story that didn't need to be continued

Compared to the amazing story of the first, and the insane action scenes in the others, 4 felt like a made for TV movie.
..not to mention that frame skip effect the was representative of Neo tripping a bit .. for some reason I just hate it when any type of media uses this effect .. it makes whatever feel super low budget (made for TV like you stated)

It's a movie that has to be rewatched numerous times. I got it on my third watch and some assistance from YouTube.
Not his best work but I don't think he was going for that. Like the Matrix Resurrections, I think he was trying to introduce an alternate reality that many people didn't quite understand.

Most people will not rewatch a movie they didn't understand the first time. Any Nolan movie has to be watched at least twice.
I get that, this isn't some end credit scene in a comic movie you need to google afterwards to figure out who the hell was that? If you need a movie explained to you to understand it, not just explain obscure/ overlooked details, then that movie failed you as the viewer.

I saw Tenet exactly once, I understood the premise, the backstory, how the plot was working, and even recall some earlier events that lead back to later stuff. I didnt think it was a very good movie, it just went too deep it seemed and not just for the sake of trying to go deep, but because it had to do it to explain the odd premise.

It's worth noting that Disney+ releases for their big blockbuster movies (Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, etc.) still required an additional purchase initially. HBO Max releases like Wonder Woman, Dune, and the Matrix 4 were included in the $10 fee. I've watched almost all of the HBO Max releases because they were part of my normal subscription. Worst case, I've only wasted a couple hours of my time and the $9 I would have paid anyway. I only watch the Disney+ big releases after they become part of the subscription. That's been 3-4 months later and after they stop caring about box office #'s.

Personally, I couldn't care less about seeing anything in most theaters. I'll occasionally hit up my Alamo Drafthouse because they have a good taplist and food. If theaters like that didn't exist, I'd probably never go to another one.

It's worth noting that Disney+ releases for their big blockbuster movies (Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, etc.) still required an additional purchase initially. HBO Max releases like Wonder Woman, Dune, and the Matrix 4 were included in the $10 fee. I've watched almost all of the HBO Max releases because they were part of my normal subscription. Worst case, I've only wasted a couple hours of my time and the $9 I would have paid anyway. I only watch the Disney+ big releases after they become part of the subscription. That's been 3-4 months later and after they stop caring about box office #'s.

Personally, I couldn't care less about seeing anything in most theaters. I'll occasionally hit up my Alamo Drafthouse because they have a good taplist and food. If theaters like that didn't exist, I'd probably never go to another one.
I'm with you on Disney+ (I don't do HBO Max). Especially right now... I'd rather not gamble with a relatively new disease just to watch the latest Marvel or Pixar flick on a bigger screen.

I get that, this isn't some end credit scene in a comic movie you need to google afterwards to figure out who the hell was that? If you need a movie explained to you to understand it, not just explain obscure/ overlooked details, then that movie failed you as the viewer.

I saw Tenet exactly once, I understood the premise, the backstory, how the plot was working, and even recall some earlier events that lead back to later stuff. I didnt think it was a very good movie, it just went too deep it seemed and not just for the sake of trying to go deep, but because it had to do it to explain the odd premise.
TENET stumbled right when the protagonist met the scientist to explain what inversion was. That scene was way too short. That was the whole movie but it didn't even matter because of how rushed it was.
Matrix 4 did the same when they arrived to IO and Niobe explained what happened to the machines after Neo saved them. That scene was rushed and should have been the central theme of the movie.

When directors rush the central meaning of a movie, the audience will have a negative experience.
I saw TENET again to understand how the science behind Inversion worked and connecting the loop of events to figure out how Neil opened the gate. If you understood that the first time, I'm skeptically impressed.

It's worth noting that Disney+ releases for their big blockbuster movies (Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, etc.) still required an additional purchase initially.
Yep. Disney+ wanted $30 for Black Widow on top of the subscription fee. I assume they charge the same for other releases, but don't know for certain. HBO Max has been one of the few streaming channels worth keeping. I don't watch a lot of movies or television shows, but the challenge has always been finding quality content — it's the needle in a haystack problem.

Last edited:
We still watch a fair amount of network and basic cable in my house, so we have YouTubeTV. One of the benefits of that is that it includes savings on the various movie channels (and their separate streaming apps) if you bundle them. I get Disney+ along with Hulu+ and ESPN+ via a $10 upcharge on my phone bill.
I splurged on a decent sized TV and a home theater speaker array a decade ago, and we just keep upgrading it as needed. We have a well-stocked fridge in the same room and getting good food delivered has never been cheaper. Plus, I'll take our couch vs. any theater seats in the world. I actually cringe when I see people putting in theater seats in their house. To me, they're one of the things I want to get away from.

lol bad cgi. rewatch 2 and then say that. cash grab? maybe. woke? not really.
I just rewatched all of them in anticipation for part 4 it was still the matrix I remember... cgi was fine. Car chase was pretty epic. Didn't like those guys that turned into ghosts. always thought that was stupid but other than that..

But so as far as being woke, pretty much everyone in the film besides neo and trinity we're pretty flipping "flamboyant". but if you participate in woke culture then I guess it must all just seem normal??

Last edited:
I just rewatched all of them in anticipation for part 4 it was still the matrix I remember... cgi was fine. Car chase was pretty epic. Didn't like those guys that turned into ghosts. always thought that was stupid but other than that..

But sad far as being woke, pretty much everyone in the film besides neo and trinity we're pretty flipping "flamboyant". but if you participate in woke culture then I guess it must all just seem normal??
car chase was good, ghost guys were stupid.
not woke, not sure what youre seeing.... lol search my post history if you think that.

Gotta love when people start tossing around the terms "woke" and "SJW" for everything that isn't made by John Milius. Get with the times and let adrenochrome power your 5G nanobots. That'll show those pussy libs what your truck'll do.

HBO max is free if you have AT&T wireless. Disney is thrown into a lot of packages, if you aren't in a rush to see things you can just wait. Having Disney+ for 3 months out of the year is a good deal to me.

I don't understand the wokeness issues. Like 1 maybe 2 characters were possibly not heteronormal?

TENET wasn't that much better than M4 imo.

Honestly, I have no reason to go to the theaters. I have a 125" projector in my living room and it looks great. Especially with COVID, that's gonna be a no for me dawg.

I did make an exception a few months ago for Ghost in the Shell. They re-released it in 4K on IMAX and that is like a once in 25 years experience. So I took my chances.

Did anyone else think Matrix 4 felt ultra low-budget? Like, the camera angles during fight scenes were super zoomed in. I would assume this is to save money instead of having well choreographed fight scenes.

Same thing with the weird slow frame rate effect they did on the How I met Your Mother guy. It just felt so cheap and low budget.

If this had a low budget, I would almost give it a pass an an average movie. They had so many good opportunities to expand on a few ideas they started in the film, but just ignored them and kept with the silly storyline of Neo forgetting who he is, or not wanting to be who he is. However you wanna interpret it.

no, just modern cinima styling. fights werent the same as woo ping didnt do them
eh, not sure how else to go about the "feeling" they were going for.
forgot who he was due to the analyst's manipulation and blue pills.

Honestly, I've liked all the Wachowski movies. The Matrix, V for Vendetta, Speed Racer... even Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending were pretty decent. I think people have unreasonable expectations. Just enjoy life.

who? for the second time...
Jessica Henwick, the blue haired one. If she had grown up in my family (or these idiots that decided to screw up the dialog in post) they would have had their ears twisted every time they mumbled until they got it right. My maternal grandmother was an English teacher for 40 years split into thirds between 1st grade and two different colleges teaching noobs to be English teachers. She was the kindest woman right up until you screwed up grammar or pronunciation. RIP, 1924-2013

Last edited:
People who bash Jupiter Ascending have tastes that are to high-falutin' for a good popcorn flick. JA wasn't some Norse saga. When viewed in the right lens, it was pretty good for what it was.
Jupiter Ascending had bad acting, worse dialog and completely ruined what would have been a great story and a new universe to explore. What should have been an amazingly epic movie and likely movie series was little more than fanfic level story and dialogue with good special effects. There are very good reasons to dislike that movie and how it turned out.

Jessica Henwick, the blue haired one. If she had grown up in my family (or these idiots that decided to screw up the dialog in post) they would have had their ears twisted every time they mumbled until they got it right. My maternal grandmother was an English teacher for 40 years split into thirds between 1st grade and two different colleges teaching noobs to be English teachers. She was the kindest woman right up until you screwed up grammar or pronunciation. RIP, 1924-2013
lol ok. she talks low and has an accent. i think its a you prob not a her prob. turn your volume up or turn subs on.
edited speeling.

Last edited:
Wife and I watched M4 on HBO Max. Terrible movie, and we are big Matrix fans. We almost turned it off several times because of how boring it was. It wasn't a tough movie to figure out, was pretty obvious right away with the blue pills and the shrink.
It kinda felt like the movie wasn't necessary to the franchise. We didn't have any lingering questions at the end of M3. Why would anyone logically assume they would survive that?
Cash grab
2/10

Wife and I watched M4 on HBO Max. Terrible movie, and we are big Matrix fans. We almost turned it off several times because of how boring it was. It wasn't a tough movie to figure out, was pretty obvious right away with the blue pills and the shrink.
It kinda felt like the movie wasn't necessary to the franchise. We didn't have any lingering questions at the end of M3. Why would anyone logically assume they would survive that?
Cash grab
2/10

It definitely had the cash grab feel, but considering the $190 million budget I don't think that was the intention.

IMDB rating on this has dropped significantly (if you value IMDB). It was up around 6.9 when the movie was first released.. now it has made its trek down to 5.8

I'm surprised it's actually above 5.0...but then again, the 2nd and 3rd movie are both way higher than they should be, too. Probably propped up by a lot of "I'm smarter than you for liking Reloaded/Revelations" reviews. The IMDB all-time top 250 has a bunch of 8.0's and Reloaded somehow has a 7.2.

saw the new Matrix in theaters... Can I get my money back? I came home, watched Matrix 1 to purge my memory and going forward I'm going to pretend it was the only one made.

I'm thinking maybe I will never watch a sequel of anything again.

Back