JOHN WICK 4 AND MATRIX 4 THREAD (All Keanu)

Did any of the other stories explain how or why the machines maintained a breathable atmosphere on earth when all photosynthetic organisms died because humans 'blackened the skies'?
(No homo)

What is or where do you find this "Animatrix episode"? Might watch the 3 movies again before watching the new one.

Edit: I see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animatrix
If I do watch this, where in the movie sequence should I insert this?
The Animatrix is a prequel to the first movie, so if you want to watch them in order, Watch the Animatrix first. Specifically the first and second episodes titled "The First Renaissance" & "The Second Renaissance" & "The Kids Story"

Did any of the other stories explain how or why the machines maintained a breathable atmosphere on earth when all photosynthetic organisms died because humans 'blackened the skies'?
(No homo)
That's a good question, I don't ever think they explained it. Although, modern science would, apparently there is enough oxygen on the Moon for humans to live for 100,000 years, but its trapped in the surface / soil. I would think that underground on the Earth would still have oxygen because of this.

That's a good question, I don't ever think they explained it. Although, modern science would, apparently there is enough oxygen on the Moon for humans to live for 100,000 years, but its trapped in the surface / soil. I would think that underground on the Earth would still have oxygen because of this.
From what I read somewhere it would take 1500 years for all of the atmospheric oxygen to be depleted, but would be unbreathable sooner than that. I guess it depends on how far in the future it takes place?

From what I read somewhere it would take 1500 years for all of the atmospheric oxygen to be depleted, but would be unbreathable sooner than that. I guess it depends on how far in the future it takes place?
IIRC oceanic algae do a lot of CO2 to O2 conversion and don't need sunlight, being mostly underwater. Whether that would help much on land, I don't know.

I guess it depends on how far in the future it takes place?
more than 200 but less than five hundred years. Realistically, the way the blacking out of the sun was depicted in the Animatrix, the cloud would have dissipated by then.

The Animatrix is far and away my favorite part of the whole franchise. Especially the segment Matriculated made by Peter Chung of Aeon Flux fame. Gave us a glimpse of what the surface world was like, and thought there are still humans surviving there. Always wondered what impact human qualities like empathy and fear of death would have on the machine mind, and how it would react. Machine wars?

From a little googling, this was the recommended watching sequence:

The Animatrix Episode 02 The Second Renaissance Part I
The Animatrix Episode 03 The Second Renaissance Part II
The Animatrix Episode 08 A Detective Story
The Matrix
The Animatrix Episode 04 Kid's Story
The Animatrix Episode 01 Final Flight of the Osiris
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Animatrix Episode 07 Beyond
The Animatrix Episode 06 World Record
The Animatrix Episode 05 Program
The Animatrix Episode 09 Matriculated
The Matrix Resurrections

OMFG! The Matrix Awakens is the sickest thing ever!!! It looks friggin' real. This is the for real next-gen. I can't believe this. Made spending $950 on a PS5 totally worth it.

Here are some 4K screenshots I grabbed. Was watching this on a 32" 4K HDR monitor and it looks amazing. Really, this is beyond anything I've ever seen.

The_Matrix_1.jpg

The_Matrix_2.jpg

The_Matrix_3.jpg

The_Matrix_4.jpg

The_Matrix_5.jpg

The_Matrix_6.jpg

The_Matrix_7.jpg

I'm sure it could run on a good computer, but I could understand that Epic wanted people to have the best experience.

At least on console they could optimize it and it ran great (close to 60 fps at 4K). On PC you'd have people with GTX 970's trying to run it and complaining.

Maybe Sony/Microsoft paid for an exclusive as well, this must have cost a lot of money.

I'm sure it could run on a good computer, but I could understand that Epic wanted people to have the best experience.

At least on console they could optimize it and it ran great (close to 60 fps at 4K). On PC you'd have people with GTX 970's trying to run it and complaining.

Maybe Sony/Microsoft paid for an exclusive as well, this must have cost a lot of money.

Its a double edged sword too, because those with HEDTs will blow console performance out of the water.

Its entirely console marketing driven, wake me when we actually have games to play.

It is marketing, but it's also showing the experience in the best light. Having it release on PC and then telling people they need to spend $1,000 (at least) for a GPU you can't even buy is a hard sell.

Yes, the 1% of PC gamers on this forum could run it. But the vast majority of people can't. I understand the consoles are hard to find still, but Epic can guarantee that everyone with a PS5/XSX can run the demo at 4K with the graphics as intended.

It is marketing, but it's also showing the experience in the best light. Having it release on PC and then telling people they need to spend $1,000 (at least) for a GPU you can't even buy is a hard sell.

Yes, the 1% of PC gamers on this forum could run it. But the vast majority of people can't. I understand the consoles are hard to find still, but Epic can guarantee that everyone with a PS5/XSX can run the demo at 4K with the graphics as intended.
Well said. Frequenting this forum it can be easy to forget not everyone is [H]. If memory serves Steam surveys state that GTX 1050 and 1060 are most common cards out there.

OMFG! The Matrix Awakens is the sickest thing ever!!! It looks friggin' real. This is the for real next-gen. I can't believe this. Made spending $950 on a PS5 totally worth it.

Here are some 4K screenshots I grabbed. Was watching this on a 32" 4K HDR monitor and it looks amazing. Really, this is beyond anything I've ever seen

I don't think that first screenshot of Keanu is a rendered image using UE5...it looks like a standard camera shot...the one below that of Carrie Ann Moss is obviously rendered

IIRC oceanic algae do a lot of CO2 to O2 conversion and don't need sunlight, being mostly underwater. Whether that would help much on land, I don't know.
Pretty sure photosynthesis by this algae is due to sunlight getting into the ocean.

I don't think that first screenshot of Keanu is a rendered image using UE5...it looks like a standard camera shot...the one below that of Carrie Ann Moss is obviously rendered
It's real-time, here are some more shots. Unless they invented a time-machine and went back to 1999, I'm pretty sure that's not really Keanu Reeves.

Matrix_Young.jpg

Matrix_Trin.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, when you watch it in motion there are some parts that don't look totally real. I mean, it is close, but it's not unmistakable yet.

Yeah, when you watch it in motion there are some parts that don't look totally real. I mean, it is close, but it's not unmistakable yet.
and:
in motion the city and vehicles are very convincing BUT characters still stand out against them no matter what. it was the same issue with that demo of that chick in the desert valley/crevasse thing a while back. they look really good, just off from the environment.

Well yes, the only reason those headshots look so good is that they are using the full power of the console to render 1 head on a white background. So they have to make compromises when they have a full city in the background and dozens of cars and characters.

Well yes, the only reason those headshots look so good is that they are using the full power of the console to render 1 head on a white background. So they have to make compromises when they have a full city in the background and dozens of cars and characters.
im just rewatching 2 and this is better than the character cgi in the pole fight scene by far. keanu's dream of just licensing his avatar might come sooner than he/we think...

Yes, that came out in 2003, so 18 years later we have significantly better real-time game graphics than was state-of-the-art in film at that time.

Reactions: noko
like this
Also, I'm having trouble finding the exact render time for the pole fight sequence, but one shot in Matrix Reloaded (where Neo breaks through the glass with the fire) took 100 hours to render 1 frame.

Rendering resources were naturally massive, Dan Glass broke down a fire sequence from Reloaded, where an explosion of flames chase Neo as he flys away. While flames were shot live action, this particular sequence required the flames to reach out almost as a hand and nearly engulf Neo. To create this Dan’s team used complex fliud dynamic fire simulations that worked out the volumetric shaders and render the inferno. Dan quoted render times at over a 100 hours a frame for this sequence.
https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/matrix_at_aeaf/

So think about that. This Matrix Experience on a friggin' console system is rendering higher quality visuals, at a higher resolution, in 1/60th of a second versus what took 100 hours for 1 frame 18 years ago. It's crazy.

Okay, so I was informed that particular shot of Keanu's face is in fact a live-action video. However, the experience cuts back and forth quickly from live-action to rendered and the difference is not huge. It fooled me. After the intro, the rest of the game is real-time (all the other shots I took besides the first Keanu face).

Here are the actual 3D rendered faces, straight from the PlayStation website. So still quite good, but you can tell particularly on the hair that it's not real. So my bad, but they were purposefully trying to fool people.

1639193841570.png

I most appreciated The Matrix Awakens' subtler achievements. Cities with massive amounts of traffic and real 3D interiors across whole buildings (not those trick interiors like in Spider-Man). Lighting that feels more natural. And of course, that transition from the canned sequence to "by the way, you can play this" was quite clever.

It's definitely early days, but this is a good peek at what UE5 can do. Curious to see what full-fledged UE5 games look like, and if they'll either be PS5/XSX exclusive or have distinct limits on PCs (since only a small portion of PC gamers currently have both modern GPUs and NVMe SSDs).

I know you don't know much about PC's but its called IQ settings Aurelius, PC's will have IQ settings to compensate.

I know you don't know much about PC's but its called IQ settings Aurelius, PC's will have IQ settings to compensate.
Please don't be patronizing.

I know what image quality settings are; I was playing PC games when I was barely old enough to have long-term memory. I also know there's only so much you can do to accommodate a full range of users. A highly detailed UE5 game is going to consume massive amounts of storage space, even with techniques to auto-create map segments. The engine can scale down to lesser hardware, but it can't pull a rabbit out of a hat and make a sprawling world run as well on a spinning hard drive as it does on an NVMe SSD. And developers might have to decide if it's worth limiting a game to make sure the experience is seamless on the slow storage that still dominates. I don't think "seamless world for some people, long and frequent waiting for others" makes for a great sales pitch.

Look at it this way: The Matrix Awakens is a 29GB download, and it's a tech demo set in a city the size of downtown LA. I wouldn't presume that a full-fledged, boundary-pushing game will be gentle on people without SSDs. You could likely still make a good-looking game, to be clear, but you might have to trim it back to accommodate a wide-enough range of PCs.

Last edited:
Right, it's 29GB for a 10 minute demo. If this was a full-scale GTA game with these graphics it would probably be like 500GB at the very least. Which wouldn't work without a fast SSD.

Here are the actual 3D rendered faces, straight from the PlayStation website. So still quite good, but you can tell particularly on the hair that it's not real. So my bad, but they were purposefully trying to fool people.
to me, they immediately look fake just looking at their eyes, but the fact it's starting to trick more and more people is cool.

matrix 2 cgi was so bad, I couldn't believe it at the time folks gave it the green-light...

Okay, so I was informed that particular shot of Keanu's face is in fact a live-action video. However, the experience cuts back and forth quickly from live-action to rendered and the difference is not huge. It fooled me. After the intro, the rest of the game is real-time (all the other shots I took besides the first Keanu face).

again, I highly doubt that shot of Keanu is rendered...it's a live action shot of him

Ha, anyone here remember downloading wing commander prophecy? Took me 32 hours on a 28.8 modem. Think the installer was 112 megabytes. Those were the days...
Best way to combat piracy was to make stuff bloated with lots of disks (Or a CD!) in the 56k era ... of course the "internet" really didn't exist back then like it does now.

That said, I do distinctly remember downloading "less than safe for work" pictures as a teenager with a 2400 baud modem... those were the days... make sure you got your 'material' that you really wanted because changing your mind after the fact takes too much time.

Best way to combat piracy was to make stuff bloated with lots of disks (Or a CD!) in the 56k era ... of course the "internet" really didn't exist back then like it does now.
It was a free expansion to the game, it was an internet only. They were testing the viability of internet distribution 1998 or 1999 time frame.
Living in a place with no broadband, I kept buying games on physical media.

LOL, I remember downloading multi-CD games on a 56K modem and it would take days for 1 CD. It was kind of stressful, but I guess you make due with the technology of the time.

LOL, I remember downloading multi-CD games on a 56K modem and it would take days for 1 CD. It was kind of stressful, but I guess you make due with the technology of the time.

I somehow managed to dodge that bullet. I only downloaded demos or small games when we had dial-up at home, and in 1999 we got cable internet service. Mind you, even that seems quaint. A CD would still take about half an hour if I maxed out my 3Mbps connection, and I rarely did. These days people get angry if they haven't downloaded a multi-gigabyte patch in a minute or two.

Back