JOHN WICK 4 AND MATRIX 4 THREAD (All Keanu)

Due to CV-19, I don't think anyone is going to the movies like they used to, so no matter what, it's not fair to say any money is left on the table. Don't see this trend reversing, and why should it, when a LG OLED looks better anyways, and we're only on MU in the greek alphabet.

Also, another reason it can't win $1B is because it isn't a shallow, cliche superhero movie with quippy one liners.

I don't think Matrix 4 will turn heads, but I sure hope it doesn't suck like 2 and 3.

For obvious reasons movies have been very weak this year however this film does look really good. I just hope it doesn't suck. Also, for THE MATRIX to be successful as a franchise it shouldn't need Keanu Reeves.

Free Guy was a good deal better than it had any right to be based on the trailers.
Yeah, I gave it a shot due to it being a Ryan Reynolds vehicle, even though otherwise I had misgivings. But IMO, they hit it out of the park. Not an epic movie, but very enjoyable on all almost all fronts - other than Tiaka Waititi's caricature.

Should I change the title of thread or what? Cause it's misleading now.

Due to CV-19, I don't think anyone is going to the movies like they used to, so no matter what, it's not fair to say any money is left on the table. Don't see this trend reversing,

most studios seem to be doing ok still.
I always thought it was a pipe dream *Pre covid* to just pay $20 to watch it in my living room day of release.
I can't see it reversing.

Just realized HBO Max is releasing this as well.

Wow, that's a huge blow to the theaters.

not really.

I havent heard numbers for hbo max, but I know disney plus was looking to add an additional 20 million users this quarter.
20 million x $8
on top of the 115 million subs they already have.

not really.

I havent heard numbers for hbo max, but I know disney plus was looking to add an additional 20 million users this quarter.
20 million x $8

I dunno man, HBO has been literally killing it with their releases this year. And on top of that, aren't charging $30 for a new release either. Disney + can kiss my ass.

^ i think we're agreeing. I was trying to make a point of that hbo is making a killing (but I can only find hard numbers from disney)
I watch all the new releases on that weekend, and i keep my subscription going year round for hbo.

not really.

20 million x $8
I am not sure how that large number is not a sign of a huge blow for theater (if you are not responding to the message just above), but the average price is much lower than that (expending market once hte USA saturate like India and other are not paying $8 a month):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1115395/disney-plus-average-revenue-per-subscriber-worldwide/

Newer market is bringing the average around $4, I imagine around $8 for US an europe (they are many promotion and cross deal that could bring it down) and $1 or less in emerging market.

Disney+ Hotstar MobileRs. 499 / year

That less than $8 USD for a complete year of Disney+ (and much more attach to it) in India if I am reading this right.

most studios seem to be doing ok still.
Studio tend to be small part of giant conglomerate that can sustain quite a lot versus the past when studio has company existed (there is Liongates that is still close to that, Weinstein before), but among them, Fox do not exist anymore and Paramount-Viacom seem announcing they are getting out of the large theatrical movie making business

https://deadline.com/2021/09/jim-gi...ian-robbins-expected-to-take-over-1234830466/

9rep_studioprofit-chart_W_embed-1614908448.jpg
That
That include TV and video game production arm that did better in 2020 than movies

I am not sure how that large number is not a sign of a huge blow for theater (if you are not responding to the message just above), but the average price is much lower than that (expending market once hte USA saturate like India and other are not paying $8 a month):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1115395/disney-plus-average-revenue-per-subscriber-worldwide/

Newer market is bringing the average around $4, I imagine around $8 for US an europe (they are many promotion and cross deal that could bring it down) and $1 or less in emerging market.

Disney+ Hotstar MobileRs. 499 / year

That less than $8 USD for a complete year of Disney+ (and much more attach to it) in India if I am reading this right.

Studio tend to be small part of giant conglomerate that can sustain quite a lot versus the past when studio has company existed (there is Liongates that is still close to that, Weinstein before), but among them, Fox do not exist anymore and Paramount-Viacom seem announcing they are getting out of the large theatrical movie making business

https://deadline.com/2021/09/jim-gi...ian-robbins-expected-to-take-over-1234830466/

9rep_studioprofit-chart_W_embed-1614908448.jpg
That
That include TV and video game production arm that did better in 2020 than movies

Why are we not including the $30 new movie fee Disney charges and the $0 HBO charges on top of the monthly sub?

Why are we not including the $30 new movie fee Disney charges and the $0 HBO charges on top of the monthly sub?
I am really unsure here of what you mean but around the globe very few will pay for those that will be an very american affair (plus a bit of UK and other with an historic of high spending home ent population), has for HBO charging nothing it is less clear but it is more indirect but in a way they do, you pay $60 more a year if you want to be able to watch movie on release but it also buy an ads free experience for other content at the same time, but if there was only 2-3 movies you wanted to see that way, that a good price for them, but it is a very confusing product line up.

The cheaper tier doesn't have any of the new Warner Bros. movies that are streaming the same day they hit theaters. If you want to stream those films during the 31 days they're available on Max during their initial theatrical runs, you have to subscribe to the pricier, ad-free level.

Honestly I had no idea other countries were getting such a better deal. Makes sense however, much like buying yearly subs to services like xbox live and things through brazil. (for anyone that doesn't know, here in the us its $15 a month. they have work arounds that you can buy a yearly sub in brazil for ~40 but use it all the same.

I did a little reading and found out...it is hurting studios. Apparently because everyone sees it on week one, and then it sharply declines vs in the theaters its a slower roll out where people still watch it on week 2.

"The release of Black Widow earlier this month was one of the biggest tests of a new Hollywood paradigm that emerged after the coronavirus pandemic began: the simultaneous rollout of a blockbuster in theaters and on streaming services. The latest Marvel movie opened in thousands of cinemas in the U.S. and Canada on the same day it was made available to Disney+ subscribers for a $30 surcharge. At first, the gambit seemed to work. In its opening weekend, the film made $80 million at the domestic box office and another $60 million in streaming—a seemingly perfect argument for a hybridized approach.

Then came last weekend, when Black Widow posted $26.3 million, a 67 percent drop at the box office and the steepest such decline in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brand. Unlike the week before, Disney didn’t tout its online sales numbers, suggesting a similarly sharp fall. The pent-up hype for the first Marvel movie in two years meant a strong start, but Black Widow now looks as though it will struggle to beat the domestic total of the first Captain America film, from 10 years ago."

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/07/disney-black-widow-box-office/619502/

I did a little reading and found out...it is hurting studios. Apparently because everyone sees it on week one, and then it sharply declines vs in the theaters its a slower roll out where people still watch it on week 2.

"The release of Black Widow earlier this month was one of the biggest tests of a new Hollywood paradigm that emerged after the coronavirus pandemic began: the simultaneous rollout of a blockbuster in theaters and on streaming services. The latest Marvel movie opened in thousands of cinemas in the U.S. and Canada on the same day it was made available to Disney+ subscribers for a $30 surcharge. At first, the gambit seemed to work. In its opening weekend, the film made $80 million at the domestic box office and another $60 million in streaming—a seemingly perfect argument for a hybridized approach.

Then came last weekend, when Black Widow posted $26.3 million, a 67 percent drop at the box office and the steepest such decline in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brand. Unlike the week before, Disney didn’t tout its online sales numbers, suggesting a similarly sharp fall. The pent-up hype for the first Marvel movie in two years meant a strong start, but Black Widow now looks as though it will struggle to beat the domestic total of the first Captain America film, from 10 years ago."

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/07/disney-black-widow-box-office/619502/
This is simply a IMHO reply to this. But word of mouth is a huge thing, and I wouldn't be in any way surprised if the word was "Yeah this movie is kind of meh" and that is a good chunk at why the movie sharply declined. Other factors too could be those who really wanted to see it the opening weekend did and due to the way things are still everyone else can happily wait to see it. Then there's the Disney+ access, I think you get unlimited viewings when you pay your $30? So having friends over as a watch party initially or some time later allows multiple people to watch without paying extra. But again IMO, if people were thinking this was going to be another Avengers type of movie draw I think those people were highly delusional, this was a character we already knew about, we knew she didn't have any super powers, so what's the real draw of watching it?

But again IMO, if people were thinking this was going to be another Avengers type of movie draw I think those people were highly delusional, this was a character we already knew about, we knew she didn't have any super powers, so what's the real draw of watching it?
Scarlett Johansson in a catsuit \. :)

Also, Black Widow is nowhere near the popularity of a character like Captain America. It's not surprising the new movie didn't do as well.

Also, Black Widow is nowhere near the popularity of a character like Captain America. It's not surprising the new movie didn't do as well.
while I totally agree with your statement, on the other end of that is maybe studios shouldn't be banking on every MCU film to make 5-600 million dollars or compare it with the billion dollar ones.

This is simply a IMHO reply to this. But word of mouth is a huge thing, and I wouldn't be in any way surprised if the word was "Yeah this movie is kind of meh" and that is a good chunk at why the movie sharply declined. Other factors too could be those who really wanted to see it the opening weekend did and due to the way things are still everyone else can happily wait to see it. Then there's the Disney+ access, I think you get unlimited viewings when you pay your $30? So having friends over as a watch party initially or some time later allows multiple people to watch without paying extra. But again IMO, if people were thinking this was going to be another Avengers type of movie draw I think those people were highly delusional, this was a character we already knew about, we knew she didn't have any super powers, so what's the real draw of watching it?
I agree.
I basically rely on word of mouth at this point prior to a movie unless Im dead set on seeing it.
I was pretty excited to see the newest FF9 or whatever until people saw it and said....ok its a bit TOO outlandish at this point. So I skipped it.
I feel like hybrid viewing creates a much larger circle of people seeing it and you have more input. Either way I waited a bit to watch FF9 and agreed with everyones sentiment and ended up turning it off anyhow.

while I totally agree with your statement, on the other end of that is maybe studios shouldn't be banking on every MCU film to make 5-600 million dollars or compare it with the billion dollar ones.
Also, people are fatigued. I was following the MCU movies at the beginning, but then I missed a few, and there have been too many movies, I can't catch up.

Considering that every single MCU entry post Avenger in 2012 did 500-600m or more that was not unreasonable to expect.
if people were thinking this was going to be another Avengers type of movie draw
Not a single person thought that, would it be Winter Soldier type of draw or Captain Marvel type of draw was the lower and upper bound people had in mind in 2019 I think.

Domestic at least, it did 80m OW during a pandemy and it's measure showing strong demand (that about what Dr Strange did ending up with 676m WW), probably not far off where Captain America was in 2014

The Matrix 4 Director Shares Keanu Reeves' Profound Thoughts on the Finished Movie​

https://movieweb.com/the-matrix-resurrections-keanu-reeves-reaction/

"We showed the film to Keanu, and he really was blown away by it, and he said something that was typically Keanu, where it's incredibly insightful. And he's just sort of sitting there, and you don't expect some incredible revelation to come out of him at that moment, like casual brilliance just kind of rolls off of Keanu. And he was just sitting there, and he goes, 'Twenty years ago you told a story in which you described the coming twenty years and the problems of the nature of digital, virtual life and how it was going to impact us and how we think about it, and gave us a frame to be able to think about it and talk about it. And you took the same character and the same stories and the same stuff, and somehow you made it about the next twenty years.' And he was like, 'How did you do that?'"

Keanu is the best. Never let Hollywood get to him and always did his own this to much success. He also builds pretty awesome motorcycles...

I stopped watching the MCU movies after my wife wanted me to go see the one with the infinity stones in it and all the disappearing people. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a theater and I refuse to watch subsequent MCU films. Jewelry that makes people disappear is just a little too far into crazyland.

I stopped watching the MCU movies after my wife wanted me to go see the one with the infinity stones in it and all the disappearing people. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a theater and I refuse to watch subsequent MCU films. Jewelry that makes people disappear is just a little too far into crazyland.
Agreed, absurdly silly mcguffun. But I still find enjoyment watching all those movies for the other parts.

You're new to comic books, aren't you?

The trailer didn't look all the interesting to me, I'm still pretty meh on it. I didn't like Reloaded or Revolutions, so I don't have much hope for this one. If it's streaming on HBO Max, will definitely check it out.

I still remember going to see Reloaded in the theater with my parents and my mom said she looked over at me during it and I looked as bored as she was. lol I rented Revolutions, I was done seeing The Matrix in theaters after Reloaded.

Agreed, absurdly silly mcguffun. But I still find enjoyment watching all those movies for the other parts.
1631714674250.jpeg

Ps. A mcguffin has no intrinsic value and exists only to further the plot, the most famous mcguffin is the briefcase from Pulp Fiction, it literally does nothing but drive the plot.

The infinity stones have a purpose, are actively used and do something, and exist across mediums keeping continuity as much as comics do (comics, tv, and movies) they maybe silly, but their not a mcguffin by any stretch.

REAL TALK.

Was having this discussion with my wife. Imagine the MATRIX is real and you're living in it right now, Morpheus shows up and offers you a red or blue pill, which would you take?

I would take the blue pill and the reason why is because of my family. I wouldn't want to separate from my wife and children, physically or digitally. My wife agreed she would take the blue pill too.

That being said, if I was younger and without a family I would take the red pill 💊

I would take the red pill, but somehow I fear the real world is even crappier than this one.

Back