JOHN WICK 4 AND MATRIX 4 THREAD (All Keanu)

I'm fine with never seeing another movie in a normal theater again. The only times I've been in the last 7-8 years have been to Alamo Drafthouse locations that have (good) food and booze. The giant comfy seats also help, but without the food/drinks those wouldn't get me in the door. IMAX and Omnimax are obviously compelling and 3D in the theater used to be night and day better than any TV. Otherwise, I have a better environment at home. I guess I could sit off-center on my couch, disable the pause button, turn the volume up an extra 40%, and hire a bunch of kids on cell phones to hang out in my house.

Yeah, Alamo Drafthouse is pretty nice. Reclining seats with the leg rests, good food. Don't really drink anymore, but I did order a beer the first time just to get the full experience.

I'm fine with never seeing another movie in a normal theater again. The only times I've been in the last 7-8 years have been to Alamo Drafthouse locations that have (good) food and booze. The giant comfy seats also help, but without the food/drinks those wouldn't get me in the door. IMAX and Omnimax are obviously compelling and 3D in the theater used to be night and day better than any TV. Otherwise, I have a better environment at home. I guess I could sit off-center on my couch, disable the pause button, turn the volume up an extra 40%, and hire a bunch of kids on cell phones to hang out in my house.
I've only been to the drive in for the last 2 or 3 years. Got my own food and box wine. Surprised i managed to go without endgame spoilers until it released on blu-ray.

For very commonly heard comments about movie theater I wonder if it is very different from market to market on what (and maybe more when) you decide to go watch in movie theater.

My experience with the growd tend to be almost exclusively positive and a main reason why to watch it in theater are crowd reaction (comedy and mainstream horror being 2 type that can gain a lot from it), theater and theater staff tend to not be optimal, it became (or maybe at the time I tend to go) a low paid student that to not give much crap wage job, with small staff for the amount of screens. Extremely basic stuff that use to make movie theater better (and better than almost all home made system) like screen masking to have the exact movie screen ratio being your screen and not done correctly or at all quite often now (while people can have a Kodi script with some motors to have it automated nowaday in their house).

I really liked the first matrix movie. Second was ok, I thought it was good but not as good as the first one. Third I'd rather not talk about....

But here's the thing. They ended the series pretty firmly at the end of the third movie. Neo and trinity dead, agent Smith destroyed, peace made with the machines. I can see doing another movie with new characters but bringing the old ones back? Why? And leaving Lawrence fishburne out.....just because?

I want this to be good, I really do. But I can also smell the flaming bag of dog poo. I hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't the going theory, as someone explained before, that the 'real world' was simply another layer of the Matrix, which is how Neo was able to see Elrond's "true self" with no eyes and how he was able to feel and blast machines without being jacked in?
Which would mean he "died" in the Matrix, not the real world, which could then mean he's still actually alive. That would also explain how Elrond was able to take human form also.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head for recentish movies..

Wonder Woman 1984
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
Quiet Place II

Turns out piracy doesn't affect the box office numbers nearly as much as the MPAA would have us believe.
I don't understand how you can read my sentence, and then completely fixate on one part of it. Here is the quote again, heck i'm even gonna put it in bold and red for you.

Unlikely as you can watch it same day, and it will be pirated like hell.

Black widow, like i said earlier, had such a bad box office disney is getting sued. Quiet place part II... same thing. WW1984 grossed 166 million. The original Wonder Woman did more than that in 3 days!

These examples are, in my opinion, pretty poor.

Ill be honest, I didnt even know Matrix was doing a 4th.... wtf...

The first matrix was one of the best movies ive ever seen, but each additional Matrix got worse and worse. 2nd one was entertaining and ok I guess, but they lost something from the first one. The 3rd was so far gone it made me sad watching it. I would take a guess the 4th will be the worst one yet? Just a guess...

Off the top of my head for recentish movies..

Wonder Woman 1984
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
Quiet Place II

Turns out piracy doesn't affect the box office numbers nearly as much as the MPAA would have us believe.
Back in the days, Dvd was the largest source of revenues and the one piracy destroyed more than box office tickets I think and I imagine still hold up.

Those example are mostly strange one but in the covid world it is a strange time.

That said still strange example to pick up, WW 1984-Widow-Cruise ?

Release
Date
TitleProduction
Budget
Opening
Weekend
Domestic
Box Office
Worldwide
Box Office
Dec 25, 2020Wonder Woman 1984$200,000,000$16,700,000$46,530,051$166,089,247
Jun 2, 2017Wonder Woman$150,000,000$103,251,471$412,563,408$818,058,221

Jul 9, 2021Black Widow$200,000,000$80,366,312$182,735,850$370,082,474
Jul 2, 2019Spider-Man: Far From Home$160,000,000$92,579,212$390,532,085$1,131,113,066
Apr 26, 2019Avengers: Endgame$400,000,000$357,115,007$858,373,000$2,797,800,564
Mar 8, 2019Captain Marvel$175,000,000$153,433,423$426,829,839$1,129,727,38

Wonder woman and Black widow will do less than 20% and less than 35% than what they would probably made in 2019, Shang-Chi an unknown character new entry will potential beat an established one in Black Widow at the box office.

Jungle Cruise is a 200m budget Dwayne Johnson Disney adventure movie that has yet to reach 200m WW at the box office, when the less expensive Tomorrowland did 210m in theater in 2015 it was considered one of the biggest flop on the year.

A Quiet Place 2 is the only theatrical success on that list and that was a theatrical exclusive release (i.e. a strong argument against your point).

Piracy in less rich market than the USA is really big (those market already had very little post theatrical revenues because of it)

Last edited:

The first matrix was one of the best movies ive ever seen, but each additional Matrix got worse and worse. 2nd one was entertaining and ok I guess, but they lost something from the first one. The 3rd was so far gone it made me sad watching it. I would take a guess the 4th will be the worst one yet? Just a guess...

I saw Reloaded in theaters, I must have been like 12 or 13 years old, and I loved it. Maybe it's because I was young, IDK, but i thought it was really good. Lots of amazing action sequences.

The original Matrix DVD was one of the best ways to showcase a 5.1 surround sound setup back in the day. In spite of it being an R-rated movie, my local Circuit City used the lobby shootout in their home theater room to sell countless AVR's and speakers.
Best movie to demo your surround sound is the movie "Heat" the shootout scene.

Yeah, Reloaded was better than the first in terms of the action and effects. That whole highway chase was insane, and the fight in the night club on the ceiling. Good stuff.

Bull
Bullshit. Mr. Holland's Opus is the gold standard in THIS house.

1631133273694.png

Each one got deeper into the rabbit hole. As in Alice, what did make sense no longer did and vice versa. I am too very interested in M4 storyline, what the mirror will reveal. Also at the end of 3rd movie after Neo defeated Smith and died in the Matrix, as he was being carried off, it was not dark and he saw lights as like he saw approaching machine city. Seeing a different layer of code, meaning his awareness was not dead.

at the end of 3rd movie after Neo defeated Smith and died in the Matrix, as he was being carried off, it was not dark and he saw lights as like he saw approaching machine city. Seeing a different layer of code, meaning his awareness was not dead.
yup, just finished it, its not even clear that his body is dead. and:
"will we ever see him again"
"i suspects so. someday."

re quality: first is great, second seems in tone off with lots of random attempts at humor and it feels oddly sexualized, third is much better than second but not as good as first.

Reactions: noko
like this
I mean, nothing they possibly did could have blew your mind like the first movie. It is literally impossible.

So the sequels were always going to be worse, but if you look at them on their own they are actually quite good.

I mean, nothing they possibly did could have blew your mind like the first movie. It is literally impossible.

So the sequels were always going to be worse, but if you look at them on their own they are actually quite good.
In my opinion they are a resounding meh, the problem primarily is in the writing, with a bit being in the delivery. To me they are like being trapped in a room with people smelling their own farts (pretensious to the extreme) and over explaining the various scents as they bloom.

Yes the overall plot is actually decent, but its utterly ruined by the Wachowskis'.

maybe 25 years ago.

I agree that was good back in the day, but it's not even relevant in the modern list of demo worthy soundtracks with Dolby Atmos and atmospheric audio now being the gold standard, and those old titles sounding dull and lifeless by comparison. I have a reasonably top tier home theater with 13 JBL Pro Audio CBT 70J-1 line arrays and eight 18" subwoofers. One of my guests said they were just dying to hear Top Gun in my room, as they had such fond memories of the soundtrack. I told them they were bound to be disappointed after all the more recent demo titles we had run through. They said no way. I put in my bluray copy of Top Gun.

Disappointment ensued. Times have changed since those soundtracks were mastered.

-------

Now reference sound is found in:

Gravity
BladeRunner 2049
Mad Max Fury Road
Spiderman Into the Spiderverse

Those are probably the top four I've run across.

even John Wick series is pretty darn good in Dolby Atmos.

I've heard great things about the remastered Matrix Trilogy and the new Dolby Atmos track, but I don't have it - haven't decided to rebuy the trilogy a third time (DVD, BluRay, and now remastered 4K? ugh).

Last edited:
I had the Matrix Trilogy on DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and now 4K UHD. Worth it.

Only watched the first film on 4K so far, but the remaster is one of the better ones I've seen.

Pretty nuts. I didnt even know they were doing a Matrix4.... I feel ike this is going to be hard for them to live up to, but hey you never know...

Pretty nuts. I didnt even know they were doing a Matrix4.... I feel ike this is going to be hard for them to live up to, but hey you never know...

If it is okay, I will be satisfied. But resurrecting a film series after 20+ years when the final one was clearly meant to be the last film will be an uphill battle.

Maybe it will be another Bladerunner 2049 but I am doubting it.

I've only been to the drive in for the last 2 or 3 years. Got my own food and box wine. Surprised i managed to go without endgame spoilers until it released on blu-ray.
Box wine? Really? Don’t tell me it’s actually good. Is that even legal?

I had the Matrix Trilogy on DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and now 4K UHD. Worth it.

Only watched the first film on 4K so far, but the remaster is one of the better ones I've seen.
i saw a side by side comparison vid and thought that it look like they took a lot of the green out. you seeing that with a physical copy?

i cant tell if this is just another mash up of the site clips or what but its 530 mnt time and i want a trailer dammit!
edit: yeah its just the clips again, removed

looks awesome!!...young Morpheus (played by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) seems perfectly cast!

The Matrix Resurrections– Official Trailer 1

in theaters and HBO Max on December 22...

goosebumps. please dont mess it up...

edit: does that look like trin that they are pulling out of a pod, as in shes not dead? @2:03
1631194382609.png

Last edited:
goosebumps. please dont mess it up...

edit: does that look like trin that they are pulling out of a pod, as in shes not dead? @2:03

I can accept Neo not being dead as he was never confirmed dead and just carried away by the Machines at the end of Revolutions...but they really should keep the original Trinity dead...maybe she's a copy or clone

Last edited:
I can accept Neo not being dead as he was never confirmed dead and just carried away by the Machines at the end of Resurrections...but they really should keep the original Trinity dead...maybe she's a copy or clone
somethings weird, 'cause you can see code on her face at one point too.

I do hope for an immediate streaming release of this and John Wick. I'll happily pay full price to watch in home comfort. Nothing will get me to go back to theaters anymore, and that is even before Covid.

I do hope for an immediate streaming release of this and John Wick. I'll happily pay full price to watch in home comfort. Nothing will get me to go back to theaters anymore, and that is even before Covid.
i kinda agree but this is the kinda movie that deserves a YUGE screen and sound. it MIGHT make me leave the house...

edit: i made my little sis watch it just now and we were talking about the old guy in the mirror. we were theorizing that maybe there has been more time past that we thought. maybe thats what neo looks like in the real now and the john wick looking neo is just his digital self.

The Matrix Resurrections yes, John Wick 4 no. Warner is only offering simultaneous HBO Max releases until the end of 2021, and Wick doesn't premiere until May 2022.

Trailer looks ok. Hard to take it serious without Laurence Fishburne. I'll set my expectations low and maybe be surprised.

Back