John Mellencamp Likens Internet to an A-Bomb

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for asinine statement of thee day goes to John Mellencamp. What an idiot. :(

"I think the Internet is the most dangerous thing invented since the atomic bomb," he said. "It's destroyed the music business. It's going to destroy the movie business."

Crap destroyed the music business and crap is destroying the movie business.

Actually, the music industry is doing fine. It is just that unless they are making the 1000% returns on investment that they are used to, they start to panic. Meh, don't wory John, you are already rich.

Screw you phonograph! You completely destroyed the live music scene... oh wait.
Screw you video recorder! You completely destroyed the theater scene... oh wait.

Seems appropriate considering it was designed to survive nuclear attack...

Are all artists really this stupid? Or does the company just pay them to make comments like this.

Since when was music a business? I thought it was an art?

I can't even believe how stupid that statement is. Insensitive, too. Likening hundreds of thousands of deaths to the semi-downfall of the stupid money-hungry music and movie industries... get out of here with that crap.

Just one more reason why I can't stand Mellencamp .....:rolleyes:

I think his shitty 80's heartland rock was more of an A-bomb regarding his career than the internet ever will be. He falls towards Vanilla Ice on my "posers" list of musicians.

It won't destroy the movie industry in a similar fashion that it didn't destroy music concerts.

i think he did too much drugs. his brain isn't as far gone as ozzy but its getting there. here's a quote from the article:

But before then, "some smart people, the China-Russians or something" may have already conquered America by hacking into the power grid and financial system, he warned during a public seminar at the Grammy Museum.

ignore the troll, his brain is long gone:D

What a moron... i had to google him name to find out who he is, yes the internet is destroying music and movies and i have definatly not found random movies/music on the net (mainly clips on utube) that were good so i bought them.

Ever notice its the artists who are failing to make money due to the fact they suck are the ones who complain and blame the internet?

Hey, Video Killed The Radio Star, too. :)

There are some older people that embrace technology instead of being scared of it, and those people are successful.

There are younger artists out there that became what they are (from nothing to huge) just by the Internet.

Calling technology dangerous and just pissing on it isn't a good move. Even my Dad has all his CD's ripped to MP3 (256 or 320Kb... He wears hearing aids, so he doesn't notice a difference), and buys tons (TONS) of music online.

Damn automobile KILLED the transportation industry. Those assholes!

what a dumbfuck.

he said that for publicity, since his album just came out yesterday.

It's ranked #2 on amazon. So what the fuck is he bitching about?

Movies still make close to a billion$$$, or at least half that. Only shitty movies and music don't make money.

The internet isn't killing shit.

What a boob. He's just mad cause he was popular for like a year back in the 80's and cant get arrested as a musician now.

I would say that the internet is changing the entertainment industry, not destroying it. People now have easy access to content that is not mainstream. Also, consumers can own content in various forms and to varying degrees. It's more complicated than traditional media channels, so I don't blame Mr. Mellencamp for being confused. Honestly, I just don't think he understands how things work now.

What a moron... i had to google him name to find out who he is, yes the internet is destroying music and movies and i have definatly not found random movies/music on the net (mainly clips on utube) that were good so i bought them.

Ever notice its the artists who are failing to make money due to the fact they suck are the ones who complain and blame the internet?

WTF...I really feel old now. I grew up listening to him. They still play his songs on retro and or classic rock stations. I dont agree with what he said but he put out some good music and WAS popular for more than a year lol. Hell i remember him through the whole 80's

John Mellencamp saying that the internet ruined music. Maybe if he didn't suck, he would be making money. I know tons of musicians who would have never had their music heard if it weren't for the internet.

I don't know how many times we have to say this. You have to have a product worth buying before people will buy it. How many people are pirating his music? I'm sure there aren't that many. I change the channel on the radio when he comes on. I will say that he doesn't get much air play either. The internet doesn't control what gets played on the radio. His people do. What does that tell ya?

WTF...I really feel old now. I grew up listening to him. They still play his songs on retro and or classic rock stations. I dont agree with what he said but he put out some good music and WAS popular for more than a year lol. Hell i remember him through the whole 80's

lol im 24 so a little too young to remember the 80's

As dumb as these comments sound, Prince still makes him sound like a genius. I think when it comes to threats to your source of income, no matter how rich you are (or perhaps in direct relationship to how rich you are), people tend to just get loopy.

This.

Unfortunately 'what sells' has replaced what was innovative, interesting and intellectual in almost every facet of our culture these days and sadly 'what sells' is more often than not simply drivel designed for the lowest common denominator of any given populace. This applies to the music and movie industries and for that matter, the other consumer industries as well.

Lawyers and fat-cat industry czars are killing the various media industries not piracy and not the internet and despite what everyone in Hollywood seems to believe these days, the two are not intrinsically linked. Industries must adapt to survive and beating or pissing on the very people they count on to legitimately purchase their product is not the way to go about it.

P.S. Mr. Mellencamp: Both industries are actually doing quite well; the majority of the comparative lack in sales are due to lack of interest in evolving demographics (read: movies and music targeted at only one age group or audience type -- rather than 'just plain good' content or entertainment) and/or the worldwide economic windfall. If you (Mr. Mellencamp) do not like the Internet, please remove yourself and all your advertising and MP3s from it just as I encourage everyone to remove your 'dangerous internet content' (read: MP3s, legit or otherwise) from their personal devices and/or computers post-haste. Thanks!

Well, i have to agree with him on one point: The "old" music business *IS* dead, it just hasn't finished decaying yet.

Problem with people today is that they don't look at history. Take music for example. Used to be you had to listen to a performance live, because there was no way to record it. Then the phonograph came about, and you could listen to a recording of a musician/band playing! And pundits of the day stated "this is the end of music." And then the reel to reel (and eventually cassette) tape systems came out, and now a home user with decent equipment could make a tape from a record or another tape. And pundits of the day stated: "This is the end of the music industry!" And then CD's came onto the market, and now it was possible to make even better tape recordings. And the pundits said: "This is the end of the music industry!" Then the ability came to burn your own digitally perfect copy of a CD at home. And the pundits stated: "This is the end of the music industry!" And then the internet came about, and now it was possible to make digitally perfect copies of music forever for (basically) free. And the pundits said: "This is the end of the music industry!"

Funny thing about this chain of history, is that except for the last time, the music industry embraced the new format, and continued to make crazy amounts of money. And it has been proven over and over that it is possible to make money selling music on the internet, and amazingly CD's and records are still being sold.

If there is one key component to this whole big ball of history is this: evolution. Your business model must change and embrace the technological changes, or it will be supplanted by something else that can and has. The music industry, and to a lesser degree the musicians themselves, have no one to blame but themselves.

And as for the internet killing the film industry, not yet. But the writing is on the wall for them too, either embrace the changes or die. It's pretty much that simple.

The internet will sooner destroy the recording industry and traditional distribution than the music industry. The internet does accomodate a larger number of artists so expectations may also rise. Crappy music just isn't good enough anymore.

Back in the 80's, I would record music onto cassette while listening to Casey Kasum on the radio. Was that illegal?

I have the sudden urge to make a mix tape for my girlfriend.

^ This

And holy cr4p - I didn't even realize Mellencamp was still around and pinching out 70 minute sessions of what he refers to as "music" :eek: I mean seriously, talk about a one or two hit wonder who should have stayed in the 80's.

My eyes bled reading this article.

The way the article is written it makes out John to be some super genius that knows what hes talking about. Then you go on to read his quotes and he almost sounds more intelligent then a 5th grader?! "OH NOES A HAS-BEEN SAID SOMETHING ABOUT SOMETHING, HES TELLING THE TRUTH!"

I thought John Mellencamp was dead...

Oh, waitaminnit, it's just his career that's on life-support.

Seriously...this from the guy that jealously complained that HE ahould be the representative of American rock mucis, not Bruce Springsteen. I know people who've met him, and, by all accounts, he's definitely got some small-man-related ego problems...and a pea-sized education to back them up.

MR. Mellencamp, if you want to sit on your ass and live on residuals that are drying up, that's up to you, just don't bitch and whine about it. OR you can get back to writing decent music, and get your ass back on the road like most artists do when they decide to make a living at something they love. Or join an oldies tour.

We care less than not-at-all about what you think, and your half-baked opinions are doing much to extinguish whatever comparatively minor contribution you made to music.

It's not like you were one of The Beatles, regardless of your obviously inflated self-opinion. You either need counseling, college, and/or a big dick, apparently.

Well I feel better now that I know what some guy named "Cougar" thinks.

Congrats, John "Cougar" Mellencamp. :rolleyes: You're added to the list of artists I'm going to boycott, which is headed by Metallica thanks to Lars U.

Back