John McAfee He Can't Call His Company 'John McAfee'

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Sep 5, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

The lesson to be learned here? If you sell a company with your name on it for millions and millions of dollars, don't expect to be able to use that name on another company. On the flip-side, John McAfee has sullied his own name so bad, I'm amazed Intel wants to hang on to it.

According to recently filed court documents, however, Intel threatened to take legal action in June after learning of the planned name change—an alleged infringement of the “McAfee” trademark owned by Intel. McAfee, of course, was the founder of the antivirus company that Intel acquired the trademark from, but Intel claims he “forfeited any right to use the McAfee name in connection with security solutions and services” when he sold his assets to the company in 1991.

2. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm curious, does Intel actually have any McAfee anti-virus customers other than those who had the demo version installed unwillingly and accidentally upgraded to the full version?

3. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

He can't use the same name he sold attached to a particular type of business. He's relative free to use McAfee outside of security software or services. I knew that even before clicking on the article.

That's the expected result when he sold off his stake of the company (which controlled the trademarks including his name), and it eventually was purchased by Intel. It's a case of too bad, so sad, you understood how trademarks worked when you protected and defended your own.

This is exactly why using your name in the company name can potentially be a downside. You can lose control of it.

4. nightfly

nightfly 2[H]4U

Or even worse; the new owners can make it into something embarrassing, you know, like an antivirus program that doesn't work or IS a virus. Then that name is forever dirt in the market. Kind of like 'Edsel'.

5. Extra-Titanian

Extra-Titanian [H]ard|Gawd

We use a McAfee product at work... It's embarrassing.

mullet likes this.
  6. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

That dude has a huge ego to name every company after himself.

7. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

I want to follow this just to see what proof he has that she sold them the assets but not the name. So what, he has been nice this past 25 years and didn't sue them for illegal use of his name?

8. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Seems Intel is doing him a favor. I would NEVER buy shit or recommend shit with his name on it. He is so stupid he doesn't know what a blessing in disguise is!!!

9. Johnx64

Johnx64 My poof SuX

Time Warner\Brighthouse\At&t give you Mcafee for free as a subscriber. Xfinity\comcast service you get norton for free. I don't use them but most isps offer them free while you're a subscriber. Some will say ISP antivirus suite powered by mcafee\norton\dildos. I'm sure they probably nag you to upgrade to pro or some shit for advanced protection and that's where they get paid.

10. xX_Jack_Carver_Xx

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx 2[H]4U

All I know is, I'm still trying to get rid of the McAfee crap from my Win 10 install .... like some alien infestation that keeps bugging the hell out of me.

11. Seankay

Seankay Limp Gawd

But how can he get rid of his name from his own things cause changing the industry isn't an option for him!

12. Raxiel

Raxiel Gawd

He could change the name to Mcrappy, everyone wins. It's different enough to avoid the lawsuits and customers know what they're getting.

13. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

Why would you want one of the most notorious names in incompetent computer security associated with your company? He'd be better off changing his own name to something else and basing the company name on that. McLaughlin or Stewart or any other name.

14. wgm3446

wgm3446 Gawd

Company should now be called:

"The Developer Formerly known as John McAfee"

VIC-20 likes this.
  15. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

He got owned. XD

Seankay and DrLobotomy like this.
  16. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

Or maybe Crappy McRapface?