John Carmack's Ferrari is on Ebay.

lol so that is where my money is going..

I want to get a testarossa sometime soon, but damn nothing like that...

and does he really get paid that well to afford a 65k turbo job? Jesus christ.. you could practically buy a regular 88 testarossa for that price..

He got this car and he thought it was too slow so he brought it back to Farrari to see if they could do anything to make it faster, Farrari does not Mod cars, they feel their cars are very very good and some bull shit like that. So he found a guy that would do it and well it is a sick ass car. I would give my left nut for this puppy.

sniper991122 said:
lol so that is where my money is going..

I want to get a testarossa sometime soon, but damn nothing like that...

and does he really get paid that well to afford a 65k turbo job? Jesus christ.. you could practically buy a regular 88 testarossa for that price..

He has 7 or 8 Ferrari's I believe.

sniper991122 said:

Obviously he, whoever it is, does.

3l3m3nt said:
and what makes this his car?

Taken from http://slashdot.org/interviews/99/10/15/1012230.shtml

"John Carmack Answers:
I drive my twin-turbo F50 almost all of the time. It took a while to get all the bugs sorted out, but it is almost a perfect combination right now. It is light, nimble, and responsive, and 600 hp at the rear wheels is just about perfect for a street car of that configuration.

I only drive my testarossa now when I am low on gas in the F50 or if I need to drive someplace where I think the extra inch or two of ground clearance is important. It is heavy and ponderous, but every time I do drive it, I am impressed again with the power. 1000 hp at the rear wheels is excessive. It takes a while to spin the turbos up to the full 24 psi of boost, but when it has a full head of steam going, it moves like nothing else on the road. It runs away from superbikes on the highway. However, when exercising it, you have a very clear sense that you are taking your life into your hands.

I will probably be getting rid of my TR when my next project car is completed. It is a custom carbon fiber bodied ferrari GTO with a one-of-a-kind billet aluminum twin turbo V12. It is going to make a bit more power than the TR, but only weigh about 2400 lbs. I have a suspicion that we will wind up detuning the engine, because 1 hp / 2 lbs is probably quite a bit past excessive and into the just-plain-stupid realm.

It was supposed to be done two years ago -- mechanics are worse than programmers.

I also have a little MGB that I am theoretically working on myself, but I haven't had time to touch it in six months?"

Testarossas were my first love when it comes to cars :p F50 >>> Testarossa though. Carmack made some good choices in the car department.

The estimated cost to develop Doom 3 is between 15 and 20 million dollars. I'd think that Carmack and company are rolling in dough.

:eek: That is one sweet car. One of Ferrari's Best IMO. He deserves a sick ass car like that for giving us doom, or 2 or 3...etc. Even though D3 was rather boring, its release did alot for the PC industry (indirectly sold alot of hardware upgrades).

Man I wish people that were loaded would give their cars away when they are done. :D

megawzrd said:
Man I wish people that were loaded would give their cars away when they are done. :D

So be a guest on Oprah Winfrey

To be honest, I'd just buy the thing to pretend I'm Magnum P.I. driving down the road in Hawaii.

It may have loads of horsepower, but I think those older Ferraris are some really ugly cars. For the money, I'd rather get something newer and better looking even if it had significantly less horsepower.

That thing is such a mess under the hood. You think for a $65k turbo mod, it could atleast look pretty. In my area there's atleast 5 TR's that I see regularly. I've sat in one, I've revved one, but never had the privelage to drive or drive in one. I'm not too impressed with them, but I'm sure if I was in one driving it would boost my impression a bit..

Although, that F50 is like shit yea. I think both the 80's F's and L's were ugly, but I'd take the L's over the F's just because of their rarity.. New ones on the other hand.. I'd have to take one and steal the other.. Cause they're all fuckin beauties..

But for $60k I would consider the car, especially for its engine mods.. And plus it would be cool to say "I'm driving Carmack's car and you're not, bitch"

Cars are overrated, to damn many people on the roads anyway. Where the hell is the railway pod system where I can grab a pod and be taken where I want to go at 300mph?

No idiots to scratch the paint.
No traffic.
No insurance costs.
No repairs or tune ups.
No washing and waxing it.
No bird shit and bug guts to clean off.
No chance of car jackings.

Just $3.00 and I go where I want and come home in record time. And maybe the risk of some ass jamming something in the track and derailing me to my death.

Suprised no one has called scam on this yet. The seller has 15 feedbacks, all of him as a buyer, and the only previous purchase that's still in the system is 22 Piece Noritake Shelburne Pattern for $29??? And how did this guy happen across JC's Ferrari? Seems very suspect, though a real nice car. :D

johnked24 said:
The estimated cost to develop Doom 3 is between 15 and 20 million dollars. I'd think that Carmack and company are rolling in dough.
The money comes from selling the Doom3 engine, now every time another company wants to use that engine (and god knows they will), they'll have to pay a few million for the liscense for it. That may not sound like that much but remember, the team that created it only consists of 30 or so people.

With Carmack taking a huge % of the money because after all he's the lead programmer.

-J.

Where's the proof that this is actually JC auction? Aside from the article that says he has such a car. Do you really think JC would be buying $25 dinner plate sets from Ebay? LOLOL

moralpanic said:
Where's the proof that this is actually JC auction? Aside from the article that says he has such a car. Do you really think JC would be buying $25 dinner plate sets from Ebay? LOLOL

He has a wife. Wife used his name to buy them. Think carefully.

-J.

I don't think it's actually Carmack selling it. I mean, look at the name, "testarossabill"... maybe Carmack sold it to this guy and now this guy is selling it.

versello said:
I don't think it's actually Carmack selling it. I mean, look at the name, "testarossabill"... maybe Carmack sold it to this guy and now this guy is selling it.
Ding ding ding, finally a smart person. He sold it three years ago to a family friend who also lives in Mesquite. I've had a chance to actually ride in this thing, and holy shit, you thought doom 3 was sick. For the kid who wasn't impressed with a testarossa, compare the stock 390 crank horsepower to the 700rwhp now at detuned, and 1000 on race fuel (the owner used to run it out at motorsport ranch in texas). John had 155octane gasoline/alcohol hybrid fuel shipped to his garage for the testarossa and his F50. When he had it, it dyno'd at 1236rwhp. I sat in the F50, it's nice and all, but not as nice as the F40 imo. All of his ferraris are for sale too. I was out at Norwoods and saw the testarossa, thresh's 328, John's F50 (getting the turbos taken off for selling), and his GTO project that has taken 9 years so far (already sold) It's kind of sad when you think of it. He's been driving Anna Kang's BMW X5 suv to work for the past few years and just had a kid, so they don't need a whole lot of two seaters.

Riftgarde said:
Cars are overrated, to damn many people on the roads anyway. Where the hell is the railway pod system where I can grab a pod and be taken where I want to go at 300mph?

No idiots to scratch the paint.
No traffic.
No insurance costs.
No repairs or tune ups.
No washing and waxing it.
No bird shit and bug guts to clean off.
No chance of car jackings.

Just $3.00 and I go where I want and come home in record time. And maybe the risk of some ass jamming something in the track and derailing me to my death.

wait 20 years and maybe you'll see it :D In the meantime just look at this kewl car and bask in its glory...

buzzard34 said:
wait 20 years and maybe you'll see it :D In the meantime just look at this kewl car and bask in its glory...

yeah. it's an american thing. public transportation is great and all. but there's just that feeling of "my car would annihilate your car in a drag, road race"

GeForceX said:
He has a wife. Wife used his name to buy them. Think carefully.

-J.

LOL so his wife used his ebay account to buy a set of used $25 plates?! LOLOLOL man you're a quick one.

obyj34 said:
The money comes from selling the Doom3 engine, now every time another company wants to use that engine (and god knows they will), they'll have to pay a few million for the liscense for it. That may not sound like that much but remember, the team that created it only consists of 30 or so people.
Doom 3 is selling quite well and @ $50 a pop for several million isn't so bad. Liscensing for the newest engine is usually a flat $500,000 buy-in with a nice percentage royalty (4-6%) Liscensing the engine is how id makes all of its money. I mean, look at quake 3, how many q3 based games did you see?

Also, being 1 of 4 owners of the company gives you a hefty cut. And the good aren't spread out too thin either with id's 17 employees.

am I the only person that thinks this car is fugly? yeah it's fast but *barf*

I can see why there are no bids so far.

First, driving a 700+ hp car on the street is going to be dangerous most of the time. By the time the turbos spin up a few seconds have past and then BAM, and if the road surface is bad your tires are gonna lose traction. I have an S4 with twin turbos and get lag sometimes, even if only for a split second.

Second, costs for keeping this car on the road are going to be far more than the 60k if you plan on keeping it and using it. Can you imagine what a new clutch costs? Even brakes and things like that are going to be pricey too. Even weathy people arent going to throw money at an old Ferrari unless they are a complete car nut.

Third, its fugly :p 575M? Beautiful car. 308GTS? Classic. Testarossa? 80s fake hairy chest, big medalion wearing fugly.

QHalo said:
am I the only person that thinks this car is fugly? yeah it's fast but *barf*
Yeah, it's very ugly. It's for car nuts without a sense of style.

Back