John Carmack to reveal unannounced project and quakecon today

After playing around with that gun range app that uses the new gyro, I have high hopes for a fps iPhone game. Gyro's make aiming precise again.

They should work on finishing the damn projects they HAVE announced before announcing crap that won't see the light of day for another seven years.

After playing around with that gun range app that uses the new gyro, I have high hopes for a fps iPhone game. Gyro's make aiming precise again.

I used to use the 1st gen Gyropoint mice back in the q1/q2 days. The first model had the buttons in worthwile places while the next gen switched them around :(. Best FPS mouse I've had.

Android development plox Mr Carmack. I haven't been impressed with your shitty games in years =(

They should work on finishing the damn projects they HAVE announced before announcing crap that won't see the light of day for another seven years.

That's just not how Carmack works. It's a good thing he's not CEO, because it seems to me he's a lot less interested in making games than he is about exploring technology. I think that's okay as long as someone else is running the company and gets the final word on what kind of work Carmack gets paid for as a technical director and what kind of stuff he has to explore on his own time.

Id's latest games may lack originality and product cycles may have gone out of control, but I'd rather blame Hollenshead for that. Carmack can keep going on being an fantastically nerdy programmer and as long as I get to listen to him ramble on at the keynote again I'm happy.

id has multiple development teams. They have an entirely separate development team for mobile games, and when Carmack finishes work on an engine (which I'm sure he has with Tech 5), he tends to go back and play around with mobile shit for a while. He enjoys doing mobile stuff more anyway, so he says.

If this is a mobile project, it's not going to have the slightest impact on Rage or Doom 4.

This "project" is reportedly not a new IP. So I suppose we're either looking at one of their classics ported to iphone/android, or perhaps a new quake or wolfenstein (or a lesser know IP?) for traditional platforms, hopefully developed in house and not sent to a 3rd party. I'm looking at you Quake 4.

ELDERSCROLLS 5 !!!! :eek:

Because id sold to Zenimax. :D I know there working on it. I can feel it in my bones!.

Last edited:
This "project" is reportedly not a new IP. So I suppose we're either looking at one of their classics ported to iphone/android, or perhaps a new quake or wolfenstein (or a lesser know IP?) for traditional platforms, hopefully developed in house and not sent to a 3rd party. I'm looking at you Quake 4.

They owe us a worthy successor to RTCW after unloading the consolized piece of crap that was Wolfenstein on us.:mad:

ELDERSCROLLS 5 !!!! :eek:

Because id sold to Zenimax. :D I know there working on it. I can feel it in my bones!.

Would be awesome... but would Zenimax's acquisition of ID come too late in TESV's development cycle? Let's say they started TESV the last Oblivion DLC. Would it be a too late to move everything to ID's engine away from Gamebryo 2.0 or whatever?

Would be awesome... but would Zenimax's acquisition of ID come too late in TESV's development cycle? Let's say they started TESV the last Oblivion DLC. Would it be a too late to move everything to ID's engine away from Gamebryo 2.0 or whatever?

I was talking that over with a buddy of mine in the industry a couple months back and he said there were talks that Zenimax acquired id so that they would have an in-house engine rather than having to use Gamebryo or other third party engines. All speculation as far as I'm concerned, but it would definitely be awesome.

Let's say they started TESV the last Oblivion DLC. Would it be a too late to move everything to ID's engine away from Gamebryo 2.0 or whatever?
Well, Duke Nukem Forever changed engines half-a-dozen times and that game was eventually released to universal acclaim.

I think its entirely possible. Instead of creating a new engine I'm sure they opted for the Tech 5 engine that id could provide. And looking at what it can do I am so excited to hear news of a new Elderscolls game, I think we will hear something about it very soon.

Commander Keen idtech5/TES:V

God dammit!
The live feed is timing out on me!! :(

Last edited:
Rage for iPhone, out this year before the PC/console release, no plans for Android releases this product cycle (too many negatives like hardware and software finally starting to catch up, Android marketplace restrictions that aren't there with the App Store, etc etc), but they will revisit it again in six months and see how things are.

From http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259706

Carmack states...

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he told OPM. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake - and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

anyone snap a screenshot or anything? I'd like to see this.

either way, I love id software :) One of the best professional iOS developers imo. Doom 2 RPG and Doom Resurrection are awesome time wasters

From http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259706

Carmack states...

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he told OPM. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake - and hopefully we can add Rage onto that -and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

I don't think id needs a new IP. They just need to make games for each of their current IPs not suck. That's something they've failed to do in recent years. Their games haven't been innovative or even decent in quite some time.

Quake has gone downhill since the first one. I know two and three were very popular, but the first Quake was just awesome to me. The second one was a decent enough game, but it didn't feel anything like the first one. The first game didn't have the Borg.....I mean Strogg in it. Quake III was OK and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I much preferred Unreal Tournament to it. Quake IV well, wasn't that good. They went back to the whole Borg......err Strogg thing again but the game felt lackluster in many respects. It ran better than Doom 3 and looked good for its day, but it didn't wow me the way Doom or Quake did when they first came out. Quake IV also had parts to it which felt about as polished as the leaked E3 demo of Doom 3. :eek: Speaking of, Doom 3 wasn't as bad as many people make it out to be, but it was a far cry from what we were expecting. Instead of a few narrow corridors which all lead to some open spaces (for the time) and legions of bad guys to mow down we ended up fighting one or two at a time in the confines of tiny metal hallways and the occasional cafeteria fight. Seriously the best thing about Doom 3 was in game arcade stand up of Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3. That brings us to Quake Wars. Quake Wars, sucked. It was a nice idea as Battlefield type games were all the rage at the time but it failed. Things were horribly balanced and the game didn't look all that good. Nothing about the game, or gameplay blew me away or was even desirable in the slightest.

Finally we have the atrocity that is Wolfenstein. The last game in the series. This was an aborted fetus of a game. It looked about as good as a Quake III engine based game and delivered about the same level of gameplay. It was clearly a badly textured poorly ported console game at best.

Really id hasn't been relevant to PC gaming or gaming in general for some time. I couldn't care less about mobile phone based games. So as of right now I can't say I'm all that excited about anything John Carmack has to say. I'm hoping that Rage turns out to be an awesome title which will spawn some awesome sequels but part of me says the id of the old days is long since dead. Given John Carmack's affinity for the aerospace industry, I have to even wonder if he even has the necessary passion to make great games anymore.

Last edited:
I don't think id needs a new IP. They just need to make games for each of their current IPs not suck. That's something they've failed to do in recent years. Their games haven't been innovative or even decent in quite some time.

Quake has gone downhill since the first one. I know two and three were very popular, but the first Quake was just awesome to me. The second one was a decent enough game, but it didn't feel anything like the first one. The first game didn't have the Borg.....I mean Strogg in it. Quake III was OK and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I much preferred Unreal Tournament to it. Quake IV well, wasn't that good. They went back to the whole Borg......err Strogg thing again but the game felt lackluster in many respects. It ran better than Doom 3 and looked good for its day, but it didn't wow me the way Doom or Quake did when they first came out. Quake IV also had parts to it which felt about as polished as the leaked E3 demo of Doom 3. :eek: Speaking of, Doom 3 wasn't as bad as many people make it out to be, but it was a far cry from what we were expecting. Instead of a few narrow corridors which all lead to some open spaces (for the time) and legions of bad guys to mow down we ended up fighting one or two at a time in the confines of tiny metal hallways and the occasional cafeteria fight. Seriously the best thing about Doom 3 was in game arcade stand up of Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3. That brings us to Quake Wars. Quake Wars, sucked. It was a nice idea as Battlefield type games were all the rage at the time but it failed. Things were horribly balanced and the game didn't look all that good. Nothing about the game, or gameplay blew me away or was even desirable in the slightest.

Finally we have the atrocity that is Wolfenstein. The last game in the series. This was an aborted fetus of a game. It looked about as good as a Quake III engine based game and delivered about the same level of gameplay. It was clearly a badly textured poorly ported console game at best.

Really Id hasn't been relevant to PC gaming or gaming in general for some time. I couldn't care less about mobile phone based games. So as of right now I can't say I'm all that excited about anything John Carmack has to say. I'm hoping that Rage turns out to be an awesome title which will spawn some awesome sequels but part of me says the Id of the old days is long since dead. Given John Carmack's affinity for the aerospace industry, I have to even wonder if he even has the necessary passion to make great games anymore.

Let's remember the candle for when it was burning and not when it was dimming out. :D

[P]art of me says the Id of the old days is long since dead. Given John Carmack's affinity for the aerospace industry, I have to even wonder if he even has the necessary passion to make great games anymore.

I agree with the above. I think Carmack's brilliance is now devoted more to aerospace than games. Which is understandable, as interests do come and go.

Let's remember their last in-house game was DOOM3 (not incl iphone) - Wolf2010, Q4, QW:ET were all (as you know) done by other studios.
The only out side studios that got it right was Nerve (RTCW:MP) and Splash Damage (W:ET).

Let's remember the candle for when it was burning and not when it was dimming out. :D

Believe me I remember the old days when I looked forward to an id Software releases. I remember some of those early games occupying more free time than nearly anything that's come and gone since. However its hard to forget their recent transgressions of bad games given that they are determined to keep releasing games based on those existing intellectual properties.

I agree with the above. I think Carmack's brilliance is now devoted more to aerospace than games. Which is understandable, as interests do come and go.

That is certainly understandable. I have many interests as well and some that have come and gone over the years. So I can certainly understand that. I just think that if your passions have shifted into another direction that you should succeed the reigns to someone else. Though I guess in a way they did since id itself was sold to another company.

Let's remember their last in-house game was DOOM3 (not incl iphone) - Wolf2010, Q4, QW:ET were all (as you know) done by other studios.
The only out side studios that got it right was Nerve (RTCW:MP) and Splash Damage (W:ET).

Well that brings me back to my point. They clearly lack the passion or the necessary talent to deliver great games that you'll want to play years later, and remember fondly for the next 10 years. Quake IV was actually surprisingly bad given that it was a Raven Software game. Raven had previously done very good titles of their own. Though the actual influence of id on that title and other titles farmed out to other studios is unknown to us.

Last edited:
Back