John Carmack to reveal unannounced project and quakecon today

Obviously some people like him and some don't. But the simple fact is that Carmack has done more for the gaming community then just about anyone around. His influence is in every FPS game you play.

To the person who said "Carmack was just a competent quarterback on an all-star team" - you don't have a clue.

All this being said, I think id's games suck (save Doom 1&2).
Not their engines mind you, but their games.

I disagree. Run and gun FPS games existed b4 Carmack and Wolfenstein, 3d engines existed b4 Carmack. He led an extremely talented team that made some pretty decent engines back in the day.

Your assertion that he has done more for the gaming community than anyone else is debatable. Fat ole' asshole Gabe's distribution system has done more for for PC gaming than Carmack imho. It could be argued that the crybabies at Epic, and their far more widely used Unreal engines have done more for PC gaming than iD and Carmack.

As far as PC gaming goes, Carmack is a historical figure. He DID make some serious contributions back in the 90's, but Q3 was about where it ended. Doom 3 was meh, and while the engine had promise, Epics' Unreal engines ended up being more prolific. Then Carmack just moved on. I don't get, the fanatical loyalty to the guy, or attributing feats solely to his name, that were actually accomplished by a team of skilled software engineers.

UE3 is the first Unreal engine to really dominate the market. And it still has a long way to go before it's been used in even half the games that the Q3 engine was used for.

UE3 is the first Unreal engine to really dominate the market. And it still has a long way to go before it's been used in even half the games that the Q3 engine was used for.

You might want to reexamine your sources on this information. Unreal 2 established Epic has the leader in this category, if you will recall id tech 4 (with Doom 3) suffered large delays and Unreal 2 was basically able to dominate the market in that time frame. The amount of quake 3 engine licenses do not compare with either Unreal 2 or 3.

You might want to reexamine your sources on this information. Unreal 2 established Epic has the leader in this category, if you will recall id tech 4 (with Doom 3) suffered large delays and Unreal 2 was basically able to dominate the market in that time frame. The amount of quake 3 engine licenses do not compare with either Unreal 2 or 3.
Yeah idTech 4 was never that popular as I recall. But you're right that my memory was wrong. I stand corrected on UE2. It just turned out that almost of the games that came out on the Q3 engine I purchased while pretty much only UT2kx and the original Bioshock did I buy using UE2. Bottom line, my anecdotal evidence sucked. :)

I disagree. Run and gun FPS games existed b4 Carmack and Wolfenstein, 3d engines existed b4 Carmack. He led an extremely talented team that made some pretty decent engines back in the day.

I can't think of any FPS before Wolfenstein. I can't think of any true 3D games before Quake.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd have to see proof.

Again, we're talking about true First Person Shooters and 3D Games, not modeling software or the like. As far as I know id was the first to market on both counts.

I'm really not trying to get in a pissing match with anyone over this, and as I said in a previous post I really don't care for most of id's games. I just think we need to give the man his dues though, he's earned it.

At least Bad Company 2 does something different/better than the other modern warfare shooters (i.e. COD4 and CODMW2) - multiplayer that doesn't completely suck. Plus DICE was in first with the big modern warfare multiplayer games with BF2, so the comparison doesn't really work.

I'm not saying that Rage will be a bad game, but there just seems to be a lot of "OMG it's soo cool!" solely because it's Carmack and Id making the game. On the game's own merits, it looks bland and generic; certainly not worthy of all the hype.

How does BC2 do anything different? Other than blocking you from playing with mods that is. By your argument who cares if Dice was the first, it's not relevant.

There is no aspect of BC2 that hasn't been done better in another game. The balance at least the last time that I played is awful.

I'm going to give Rage a chance before I go bashing it. Hell, at least it will be different than the cookie cutter FPS games on the market today like BC2 or the future Dice BC2/COD clone Metal of Honor.
A proper sequel to Quake would be nice, instead of this Strogg bullshit. Damn Romero...

I completely agree with you I love the original Quake.

The difference is that id is quite selective about who they license their technologies to. They do not simply hand out licenses to anyone who inquires as Epic seems inclined to do.

I would have said Time Commando but than seems like quake 1 came out before that.

Time Commando came with my first 3d card I bought.

first real 3d game i would consider to be Future Shock by Bethesda, it was never 3d accelerated like gl quake but it was the first game to really use polygons instead of sprites. there was still a mix of sprites in there but most 3d games even after did the same thing.

can see some of the gameplay video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p62hA4GUw8&feature=related

later came Skynet as a sequel, both games were great and the multiplayer was unique in that you spawned in as a person/terminator and you could enter vehicles (jeep) and the HK (bf1942esque) in a larg open level.

first real 3d game i would consider to be Future Shock by Bethesda, it was never 3d accelerated like gl quake but it was the first game to really use polygons instead of sprites. there was still a mix of sprites in there but most 3d games even after did the same thing.

can see some of the gameplay video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p62hA4GUw8&feature=related

later came Skynet as a sequel, both games were great and the multiplayer was unique in that you spawned in as a person/terminator and you could enter vehicles (jeep) and the HK (bf1942esque) in a larg open level.

Its one of the first 3D games, but not the first. Future Shock was preceded by the shareware version of Descent. I couldn't find precise release dates but the shareware version of Descent was released in late 1994 and Future Shock was released in 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator:_Future_Shock

I can't think of any FPS before Wolfenstein. I can't think of any true 3D games before Quake.

Again, we're talking about true First Person Shooters and 3D Games, not modeling software or the like. As far as I know id was the first to market on both counts.

I'm really not trying to get in a pissing match with anyone over this, and as I said in a previous post I really don't care for most of id's games. I just think we need to give the man his dues though, he's earned it.

??

ok, and? if you can't think of them, they don't exist? :rolleyes:

I still have several" true" 3d games, waaay predating quake, even doom and W3D.

I am talking 5 1/4" floppy games. Blue Angles, and some stunt racing game. Both provide true 3 DOF (unlike W3D)... actually 6, 9 DOF if you count spins, etc in Blue Angles.

approx 1988, well before anything "id"

Again Descent was fully 3D and came out before Quake did. It was quite a bit older actually. There were a few FPS games before Wolfenstein 3D, but they were all pretty obscure titles.

Again Descent was fully 3D and came out before Quake did. It was quite a bit older actually. There were a few FPS games before Wolfenstein 3D, but they were all pretty obscure titles.

catacomb abyss

That game ruled as a kid. I also remember playing some strange 'VR' type of game in the late 80's-early 90's that I cannot remember the name of. It was very basic, no textures... just polygons and a EGA color palette but the entire game was true 3D. I think it was some sort of FPS RPG, but can't quite recall the specifics. It might of come from a BBS or something.

I still have several" true" 3d games, waaay predating quake, even doom and W3D.
Quake was the first game, if I recall, to support texture mapping, lightmaps and dynamic lights. Its primary advancement was not 3D, because that had been done before.

Some should learn the difference between voxels and and polys. Some games were entirely sprite based and voxel based to look like polys. Commanche and TIE FIGHTER are good examples of this.

Cormack will take up Einstein's uncompleted work on the unified field theory and try to apply Voxel technology to it. We will see how successful that is.

Cormack will take up Einstein's uncompleted work on the unified field theory and try to apply Voxel technology to it. We will see how successful that is.

He cant get into space let alone apply pre-dx technology to it...perhaps an openGL wrapper though.

John is a programmer, I'm pretty sure he didn't write the story or make the gameplay in DOOM3. Judging solely the DOOM3 graphics, I'd say he still has his brilliance. The shadows in that game haven't been bested so far by any game.

Some should learn the difference between voxels and and polys. Some games were entirely sprite based and voxel based to look like polys. Commanche and TIE FIGHTER are good examples of this.

TIE Fighter didn't use voxels. It was just a straight up traditional polys+sprites game.

I never said TIE used voxels, but yes, it was sprite based. But regardless, games like this were never true 3d, nor was Wolf, or Catacomb, etc..

Ok, but it wasn't sprite based either. :p It was true, full 3d. Even X-Wing, its predecessor, was. Of course it did use sprites for explosions and other effects.

Carmack use to make good games but now he sucks at making them. Quake 3 was the holy grail of his work. I still consider it the peak of his prime. He just ran out of ideas after that it seems like. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the last game he did good. Not sure if Raven did that though. Carmack should just go back to his roots and just create something good. Lets just hope hes thinking about how to create the best game in the world instead of thinking much of how much hes going to get his next pay day. Some day when hes old he'll realize money isn't everything. When you got a perfect game its priceless ;)

When you get older you realize games don't mean shit and you notice that a Rocket to Mars would be bitchin ;)

Carmack use to make good games but now he sucks at making them. Quake 3 was the holy grail of his work. I still consider it the peak of his prime. He just ran out of ideas after that it seems like. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the last game he did good. Not sure if Raven did that though. Carmack should just go back to his roots and just create something good. Lets just hope hes thinking about how to create the best game in the world instead of thinking much of how much hes going to get his next pay day. Some day when hes old he'll realize money isn't everything. When you got a perfect game its priceless ;)

Please return through the door from which you came..

What? Quake 3 is his masterpiece? I disagree. Carmack is a 3D engine guru. Doom 3's engine was unbelievable, at the time, RAGE looks unbelievable, the frame rate he's pulling on the iPhone 4 is unbelievable. This guy hasn't lost his touch. Thank goodness ZeniMax (Bethesda) snapped them up. This guy needs an epic story teller and art director to make use of his engines.

Are you inferring Carmack "sold out"? Tool's got a song for you!
1. Go to: http://www.toolband.com/album/lyrics/aenima.html
2. Read: Hooker with a Penis

Some of the best games were built on the quake 3 engine. Almost all the A+ shooters that have came out originated with the quake 3 code. Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix, Star Wars Jedi Knight... Urban Terror also uses it now. To me it had the best mouse to gun feel/movement compared to any other engine out there. Doom 3 and UT3 engines and all the rest felt floaty and artificially accelerated compared to the quake 3 engine. How can you not remember the quake 3 engine. I still remember my quake3 cdkey by heart lol.

My screenshots to show i'm not some noob.

Last edited:
Back