John Carmack to reveal unannounced project and quakecon today

Yep, people love to get on Raven for Q4 and Wolfenstein... and that's fair. But they forget the quality stuff they did before. They also made the two Jedi Knight II games, both of which were great.

Raven has made quite a few good games over the years:

* Heretic (1994)
* Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (1994)
* HeXen (1995)
* HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (1996)
* HeXen II (1997)
* HeXen II: Portal of Praevus (1998)
* Heretic II (1998)
* Soldier of Fortune (2000)
* Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (2000)
* Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
* Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002)
* Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)

I had high hopes when I found out they were making Quake IV. And while that game didn't totally suck, it was a "meh" title for sure. I couldn't get into the multiplayer at all. The single player game was OK, but I only went through it once. I haven't played the game since. I actually played Doom 3 more than Quake IV. I actually enjoyed the expansion pack for Doom 3. I can't remember who made it but it was better than either Quake IV or Doom 3 itself were.

Looking at those older games made by Raven, I enjoyed a ton of those!

HeXen was one of my favorite of the 2D first person shooters. It had sound and atmosphere that was unmatched by the other games of its day.

HeXen was one of my favorite of the 2D first person shooters. It had sound and atmosphere that was unmatched by the other games of its day.

HeXen was awesome but goddamn...the puzzles were fucking crazy. Go through this door, kill some shit to unlock another door in the previous level. Go in that door to open 2 doors in the next level...

I absolutely agree with you Dan on Hexen. The atmosphere was unrivaled. I even enjoyed it's predecessor Heretic.

Considering it was Raven that developed the game, your outrage is null and void.

Actually,Raven had a pretty good track record until after the last Jedi Knight game. I was as disappointed with them as with iD for the Wolfenstein debacle. Neither of them has lived up to their past work for a while.

I liked that Soldier of Fortune game, it was pretty fun for it's time, but I never plaed the 2nd game, was it any good?

I liked that Soldier of Fortune game, it was pretty fun for it's time, but I never plaed the 2nd game, was it any good?

Soldier of Fortune I and II were awesome. The third game, not so much. Though I believe the latter was developed by EA as a budget title. It was a buggy and unstable pile of shit that failed to live up to the earlier games in any way shape or form.

The second game had some of the best multiplayer FPS action I've ever played. I can't count how many hours I spent playing infiltration on the "shop" map.

I also remember the first weekend the game came out. Everybody was excited about the random map generator and we were all trying to come up with the best seed words.

Because no one will license idTech 5, amirite?

Bethesda will. I mean, I could point to UE3, which has been used for every game under the sun, as an example of proper capitalization on a game engine, but I don't think I need to. Besides, I was referring more to the fact that id software has not made a decent game in over a decade.

Stop trolling and GTFO. You say gimmick? You have to be kidding me...the man is forward thinking and tech driven. And as for the comment that id's last 10 games sucking ballicks, id doesn't even own 10 IPs. You should learn some respect.

Apparently John Carmack has an account on the Hardforum. Who knew?

Last edited:
A modern day Hexen would complete me as a person.

Same here. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing from any major studios :(.

On the plus side, there is a group of modders working on a TC for Doom3. It's been in the works for a few years now and is looking fantastic. I've been following it for quite some time and cannot wait for a release.

screenies + info here:
http://www.hexenmod.com/media.php

Blah blah blah hurr durr

Stop trolling and GTFO. You say gimmick? You have to be kidding me...the man is forward thinking and tech driven. And as for the comment that id's last 10 games sucking ballicks, id doesn't even own 10 IPs. You should learn some respect.

If it were coming to Android, he'd be fucking psyched. There would be no containing his jubilation.

QFT. In a forum full of fanboys, he's among the biggest. I'm pretty sure that him, Daggah, and DeathPrincess are in a contest.

Well, among those that haven't been banned yet. ;)

I'm interested in giving this a go. It looks amazing for a "phone game."
My issue is still the same one with other great looking games like SF4 - the iPhone lacks tactile control options. While the touchscreen and gyroscope stuff works, too often with traditional games it doesn't work well enough.
I still hope to someday see some kind of "shell" that would add tactile feedback. Considering the iPad has a keyboard add-on and bluetooth works now, there's no reason this couldn't be an option.
ID's going to make big $ on this stuff. The more popular apps on the iPhone are raking in millions, even at only a buck or two per game.

Pretty much. I'd love to see this technology applied to a genre other than FPS. I have yet to see that work well on a touchscreen.

Either way, super impressive technology, just amazing.

On the plus side, there is a group of modders working on a TC for Doom3. It's been in the works for a few years now and is looking fantastic. I've been following it for quite some time and cannot wait for a release.

screenies + info here:

Wow, thanks fot the heads up. I hope that TC is released.

QFT. In a forum full of fanboys, he's among the biggest. I'm pretty sure that him, Daggah, and DeathPrincess are in a contest.

Well, among those that haven't been banned yet. ;)

HOLD ON GUYS I NEED TO BE EXCITED ABOUT ID RELEASING A GAME

*jumps into time machine and goes back in time 15 years*

Nobody ask you to be excited. just don't berate something you know nothing about.

Bethesda will. I mean, I could point to UE3, which has been used for every game under the sun, as an example of proper capitalization on a game engine, but I don't think I need to. Besides, I was referring more to the fact that id software has not made a decent game in over a decade.

Apparently John Carmack has an account on the Hardforum. Who knew?

Why do people think that id has released a game in 10 years outside of DOOM 3 - they haven't. And yes, I get annoyed by kids who don't understand the genius of John Carmack. He gets no respect from little punks who don't know anythings-but things will never change.

Nobody ask you to be excited. just don't berate something you know nothing about.

Why do people think that id has released a game in 10 years outside of DOOM 3 - they haven't. And yes, I get annoyed by kids who don't understand the genius of John Carmack. He gets no respect from little punks who don't know anythings-but things will never change.

Respect is earned, and he did earn some, in the past. But not so much lately when it comes to the PC gaming arena that made him rich in the first place.
You getting yourself in a huff because some don't see your hero's genius, or think that his day has come and gone, does not make us little punks.
Personally, looking back, I think he was little more than a competent quarterback that had the luck to lead an all star team. Q3 was the last thing they did worth much a damn, and even then it can be argued that it would have gone no where without the community mods that made the game competitive.

If John Carmack doesn't want to bow down to hardcore PC gamers, that's his right and your complaining probably won't change his mind or anything else for that matter.

That being said, I do wish he'd come back to making kick-ass pc games, but I don't blame him for the "games" themselves, he's obviously just the engine guy. Perhaps working with Bethesda will do the company good and let them concentrate on better games. Eh... wishful thinking I bet :(

That being said, I do wish he'd come back to making kick-ass pc games...

That won't happen until PC games start outselling those on consoles.

I'd say there's a better chance of heavy thunderstorms in Hell first.

If John Carmack doesn't want to bow down to hardcore PC gamers, that's his right and your complaining probably won't change his mind or anything else for that matter.

That being said, I do wish he'd come back to making kick-ass pc games, but I don't blame him for the "games" themselves, he's obviously just the engine guy. Perhaps working with Bethesda will do the company good and let them concentrate on better games. Eh... wishful thinking I bet :(

I have no problem with catering to people beyond just hardcore gamers. No problem with that at all. The problem is that id hasn't released a kick ass game of any kind in years.

That made me lol. :D

screenies + info here:

Damn, I'll have to keep my eye on this one, Thanks.

Seems to be a lot of Carmack cockslobbery in this thread. Regardless of his past achievements, he hasn't been relevant in a long time. Rage looks almost identical to Borderlands before it had its 11th hour style change; even now it is just another post-apocalyptic freeroamer. It will be even more generic and unoriginal come launch day.

Release date for Rage is currently Septemer 13, 2011.

That's really the thing. It seems like it is all about what strikes Carmack's interest, and a lot of that seems to be tied to challenge and the novelty of exceeding expectations.

At one point it was about squeezing a crazy amount of visual quality and responsiveness out of quickly evolving PC hardware. Then that got boring. Then it was launching rockets, and that is clearly keeping him interested. Now it seems like cranking insane visuals from a cell phone is what turns him on. Watch the video, his enthusiasm for getting something like that out of the iPhone 4 is pretty hilarious. He says it himself, in that people who say it shouldn't be possible are just blown away.

In any case, its all about what turns on his own curiosity, not satisfying other people. If his interests happen to intersect with yours, great, but it truly doesn't seem to matter to him either way. Its pretty funny, as if a sociopath decided to put his powers to good instead of evil. :D

Seems to be a lot of Carmack cockslobbery in this thread. Regardless of his past achievements, he hasn't been relevant in a long time. Rage looks almost identical to Borderlands before it had its 11th hour style change; even now it is just another post-apocalyptic freeroamer. It will be even more generic and unoriginal come launch day.

Said it in this thread earlier, but I saw Rage in person at E3. I'm not expecting tons out of the gameplay as that isn't something id is known for. They're doing a lot differently this time, but I'm going to wait to judge that.

Visually it far exceeded my expectations. No matter how much crazy stuff was going on, how big the vistas were, how detailed the character models in the shot were, the framerate never once dropped below 60fps. I've never a game of such high visual quality maintain such a consistent and high framerate before, and it was on an XBox. Unbelievable. I have no idea what voodoo magic Carmack and his team did but it is super impressive in person.

You do know that RAGE was in dev before borderlands right? Why do people assume that you're slobbin' on someones knob when you stat facts: he's one of the the predominant developers in all the land. Just because id hasn't put a game out since D3 doesn't mean that Carmack and team are not relevant to the industry. It's akin to saying Michelangelo didn't do anything for flight.

You do know that RAGE was in dev before borderlands right? Why do people assume that you're slobbin' on someones knob when you stat facts: he's one of the the predominant developers in all the land. Just because id hasn't put a game out since D3 doesn't mean that Carmack and team are not relevant to the industry. It's akin to saying Michelangelo didn't do anything for flight.

Stating simple facts isn't blatant hero-worship, but banging on about how great a game that nobody outside of the gaming press has played, won't be out for at least another year, and brings nothing new to the table clearly is.

The fact that Rage was in development before Borderlands doesn't really mean anything. Games get beaten to the punch all the time, but the intelligent developer will keep coming up with new ideas to keep the game fresh - Rage isn't doing that. Prey was a game in development for almost a decade, but that didn't stop it being a derivative, utterly forgettable experience because 30 other games had been there and done that in its development lifespan. Doom 3 was stuck in a time warp due to self-celebratory wank from Carmack & Co; what reason is there to say Rage won't suffer the same fate?

What is actually unique about Rage, really? How do you know that the gameplay quality will be the game's shining feature and beat out the fact that it's just another Borderlands when you haven't even played it?

Stating simple facts isn't blatant hero-worship, but banging on about how great a game that nobody outside of the gaming press has played, won't be out for at least another year, and brings nothing new to the table clearly is.

The fact that Rage was in development before Borderlands doesn't really mean anything. Games get beaten to the punch all the time, but the intelligent developer will keep coming up with new ideas to keep the game fresh - Rage isn't doing that. Prey was a game in development for almost a decade, but that didn't stop it being a derivative, utterly forgettable experience because 30 other games had been there and done that in its development lifespan. Doom 3 was stuck in a time warp due to self-celebratory wank from Carmack & Co; what reason is there to say Rage won't suffer the same fate?

What is actually unique about Rage, really? How do you know that the gameplay quality will be the game's shining feature and beat out the fact that it's just another Borderlands when you haven't even played it?

You must be referring to other people here on the board when talking about RAGE, I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know. But on the note that Borderlands "beat" RAGE to the punch...should id hurry to get their IP out before anybody else - hell no, why should they? I agree that Prey wasn't that great, but that wasn't an id IP either, so in no way can you equate that games value to id software value.

As for the uniqueness of RAGE, that is left to be seen. I'm not expecting a brand new experience because as seasoned gamers (and FPS players), we've pretty much done it all.

Carmack writes engines, not games.

He has brought us technology like dynamic lighting in Doom3 and megatexture in the idtech5 engine (or was it before, in ETQW?), thats where his important contributions lay.

Either way big strides in gaming are powered by big strides in technology and game engines, so I'm thankful to carmack for that, he's brought us some quite important changes. It's a shame he wants to change his attention to the mobile market but it's his choice. Maybe he will learn new ways of implimenting old technology more efficiently on this sort of hardware and use that to fuel next generation technology on the PC one day.

Meanwhile there is lots of talent out there producing impressive engines, I was quite impressed with smoothness of ghostbusters CPU physics and Red Faction Guerrilla also. I started playing metro 2033 on the weekend and loved the lighting system during the fights with other humans, who have pretty good AI when it comes to what they can see and how they react.

...even [Rage] is just another post-apocalyptic freeroamer.
I can't imagine any kind of scenario in which more post-apoc games would be a bad thing. For the most part, I'll play any post-apocalyptic game that has guns, and Rage apparently has guns (and dune buggies), so I'm happy.

What would you rather id be developing if not Rage?

My only problem with a greater focus on mobile gaming is that I'm not terribly fond of touch screens for input. Right now, when I think of games for mobile phones I tend to think of short simple low budget games that are only good for passing time on the bus etc. I wouldn't mind at all if more developers bring forth higher quality games to mobile platforms, and it's people like Carmack that are driving for that change.

Do you wonder if Carmack likes mobile better because with mobile he can be the one man show? A massive project on the PC requires a lot of collaboration and people skills. The genius of one man isn't enough to save a project. However, with old games of the earlier 90's, a single person can make all the difference in determining success. In a sense, mobile games are almost like going back to the 90's. Maybe this is why ID was awesome back in the day, but hasn't produced top level success in recent years.

Gone are the days where a single man can bail out the shortcoming of other development staff.

That's just not how Carmack works. It's a good thing he's not CEO, because it seems to me he's a lot less interested in making games than he is about exploring technology.

I wouldn't say that's completely an accurate assessment at all. Certainly, Carmack love "the tech", but look at what he's creating with Rage. I'd say that's one going to be one hell of a game.

I've a feeling he's been working harder and harder over the years to develop the tech he's satisfied with to do that very thing: make incredible games, and I've a feeling that he feels satisfied that he's hit that plateau for the moment, because with the creation of the Tech5 engine, he's now got at least three major projects going: Rage, a "team and a half" on DOOM 4 and one other that I cant remember off the top of my head.

Sort of like a musician who works continually on their sound until they feel they've got the best that can do justice to what they want to create and allow for that to be possible, I think Carmack has just been waiting to hit his "peak" so he can realize what ever vision(s) he has.

In the end, I think it's going to pay-off huge, seeing what they've done with Rage, which is looking truly unbelievable in all aspects, from the visuals to the AI.

If it were coming to Android, he'd be fucking psyched. There would be no containing his jubilation.

The problem with developing for Android is that every phone is radically different in terms of hardware specifications. To build an Android game you'd probably have to list a minimum and required specification (how many phone users outside of [H] know their phone's CPU speed and GPU details) and have options to adjust visual settings.

The iDevices are being pushed (haphazardly, but pushed nonetheless) as a viable gaming platform, and standardized hardware makes this easy.

RAGE for the iPhone 4g is simple... it runs on the iPhone 4G, and not necessarily another model.

RAGE for the Android platform, but only the HTC MyTouch 3G, Motorola Whathaveyou, and x number of Samsung devices isn't quite as marketable.

I'll wait untill I play the game to make judgment. From the sound of your comments it sounds like you already have. Apparently you prefer the insanely original modern warfare shooters like BC2 according to your post history at least.

Obviously some people like him and some don't. But the simple fact is that Carmack has done more for the gaming community then just about anyone around. His influence is in every FPS game you play.

To the person who said "Carmack was just a competent quarterback on an all-star team" - you don't have a clue.

All this being said, I think id's games suck (save Doom 1&2).
Not their engines mind you, but their games.

At least Bad Company 2 does something different/better than the other modern warfare shooters (i.e. COD4 and CODMW2) - multiplayer that doesn't completely suck. Plus DICE was in first with the big modern warfare multiplayer games with BF2, so the comparison doesn't really work.

I'm not saying that Rage will be a bad game, but there just seems to be a lot of "OMG it's soo cool!" solely because it's Carmack and Id making the game. On the game's own merits, it looks bland and generic; certainly not worthy of all the hype.

I can't imagine any kind of scenario in which more post-apoc games would be a bad thing. For the most part, I'll play any post-apocalyptic game that has guns, and Rage apparently has guns (and dune buggies), so I'm happy.

What would you rather id be developing if not Rage?

A proper sequel to Quake would be nice, instead of this Strogg bullshit. Damn Romero...

Last edited:
Back